Using a shovel

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am 13 months post THR on the right side, and now that spring is here I am out working in my flower and vegetable garden. I asked my surgeon if it was ok to use a shovel and he said it was fine. It scares me to try and I was wondering if anyone has used a shovel on the new hip side and can reassure me it's ok to do it. Thanks for your help.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Should be fine, Gina 😃 I am 12 months post op (THR R), and have been shovelling this winter for the first time in 2 years! Just take it easy. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi

As much as I haven't used a shovel I can tell you that your hip should be pretty secure by now, I'm having my hip redone in 2 weeks and I'm 13 months thr and my surgeon has said he will need to chisel my hip of my bone as it has all grown around it by now. I know how scary it is trying to get back to normal but just take it easy with your turning and twisting so you don't pull your groin, so a bit and enjoy it then try again the next day...

• Posted

Hi Penny,

Can you tell me about your revision? May be facing the same. I'm 51, and 12 months post THR R , and will be referred for one also.

Not sure how not to muscle in on this conversation, so sorry about that...

Thanks,

Melanie

• Posted

Hi Gina

With such a lovely day and a change to recent days i was a little like you and thought how nice it would be to get out in the garden and do some of those little jobs that i had been planning. As usual that grew into moving some plants with a spade and carrying bags of peat from the car. I was also wondering if using a spade was ok though i am Left Hip Replaced and using my right foot on the spade so should be ok but as I am just 10 weeks post op and feel great I am not sure just how far I should push it. Great to be looking at the gardening season with hips that will allow me to get out there and enjoy what I once loved.

• Posted

10 weeks is probably a bit optimistic for all that movement as it want have healed into the femur yet, slow down and don't risk it till your checked at 12 weeks and asked the question, I might wrong but I'm sure if I am someone will let me know.

Enjoy the beautiful sunshine and go slow

• Posted

Hi John,

I was only weeding the garden, planting plants etc, using a kneeling stool which helped when getting up at around ten weeks. I did not do any digging or anything that may hurt my hip. Maybe I was too cautious but I preferred the safe rather than sorry route, at ten weeks I was nowhere near 'normal' to overuse the hip. Just be careful.

• Posted

i had my last check with my surgeon at 6 weeks and he doesnt want to see me again he said o restrictions other than twisting the leg in the wrong direction.

• Posted

So fair enough he knows best, did he x-ray etc before he told you that and was it OK to lift all restrictions because of the route he took and your younger and excellent muscle structure

• Posted

My surgeon is in the top 5 in the UK so i would not want to question his expertise and i seem to be fine as he suggested

• Posted

by the way I am not younger as I am 66

• Posted

That's great, just be careful as to how you actually move to do the digging, better to be safe than sorry

• Posted

Goodness, Yes ... I have climbed onto my workshop to re-roof it, and then I rebuilt my pond and waterfall last year. I had to manually haul 2 tons of timber up my garden on a small trolley, and about 2 tons of earth and debris the other way!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.