Using shadow to compare "new" knee with "old"

Posted , 5 users are following.

When weather permits, I'm enjoying getting out for walks. One thing I found useful, at least on a sunny day, is watching my shadow in order to compare TKR knee to the other.  I had found that I was initiating the limp that I have used for years and I could plainly see this while watching the shadow. Trying to get the two legs to match during the walk was something my PT wanted me to do, and this seems to be a useful tool along with just looking down.  Hope that helps someboday somewhere. You all have a good day today and stay positive.    Don in Colorado

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I think that is great if you don't happen to live in rainy, cold UK.....lol
    • Posted

ha ha .....  point taken.  Well, their are a couple of people living in Spain and the US on this thread....  I guess you could have your lighting people follow you with the proper gear?
    • Posted

You have a point there....I am off to see my lighting people as we speak....lol
  • Posted

Haven't seen the sun for weeks in spite of living in Tenerife!  But I do something similar as I walk past the wide glass doors from the lounge to the garden . .I can see my reflection and see whether I'm bending the operated knee the same as the other one.  When I concentrate, yes. . as soon as my mind drifts off to something else, I'm back to my pre operation gait, of straight leg swinging from the hip!  A couple of years of doing that has programmed my brain and it doesn't want to be re programmed!

• Posted

Reprogramming the brain and muscle memory was exactly what my PT was talking about.  I find myself in front of the kitchen sink or wherever basically standing on my left foot to keep the weight off what has been my bad leg for a long time.  I also have to think before I walk or I will go into my limp posture that I had used for too many years.  When I walked yesterday I had some pain, but the exciting thing was that the actual joint wasn't causing me to literally grit my teeth after about 30 ft.  And even though I was going slow, I enjoyed the walk instead of saying to myself: "Well I made it."     Does Tenerife have a monsoon season?
    • Posted

Exactly what I'm doing when I don't concentrate!  No we don't have a monsoon period at all . .We get rain in the north on and off november to february, but in the south of the island rain is pretty rare . .a few days a year. there's a huge difference in the climate from the north of the island to the south, due to the massive volcano we have in the centre of the island.  Prevailing winds bring clouds which tend to hover over the north, never making it as far as the south, which is dry, arid and mainly low desert . . the north is lush, green and. . . more wet!
  • Posted

This is particularly useful idea for us in Australia!

We get sun most days - even when wet!

I'll use this in my lunch break today!

16wks post TKR

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.