Vaginal itching during peri menopause

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi ladies. I am 53 and have just started the peri menopause. I am not experiencing any symptoms like hot flushes etc but have got terrible vaginal itching. It’s fine during the day, nothing at all but it’s terrible during the night inasmuch that it wakes me up several times during the night. I have been to the doctors to get their advice and the doctor has just given me some mild steroid cream that has done nothing. Does anybody else have this and if so what do you do?  Thankyou 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello debra. My peri started like yours 7 years ago. It got so bad that I also got rashes on the inside of my thighs. I went to a nurse practitioner thinking I just needed a cream but she told me that I was dehydrated even though I drank 3 to 4 bottles of water a day. She said that my body was changing and I needed to increase that amount. which I did. It helped. I now drink 5 to 6 bottles a day and yes Im going to the bathroom alot but when I dont drink that much I start getting itchy again. Hope this helps. 
  • Posted

Hi Debra

Do you find it's dry to? It's very common in peri for downstairs to be dry and with dryness comes itching sometimes to. With me it's all over itching especially my scalp it drives me nuts when I'm on my period and is also worse at night especially if I'm to hot. I take a antihistamine if I can't stand it anymore and need to sleep.

• Posted

Oh my gosh. The itching for me started about 7 years ago (I am now 55 and except for a one day period which was likely caused by my medication), have not had a period since January. It was awful and when I saw my gyno they told me to get my blood sugar numbers down and it would improve (am type 2 diabetic). I almost lost my mind with the itching. Used a lot of anti-itch creams routinely. It was so uncomfortable but it has eased up for several months now and I am relieved. Believe it is from all of the hormonal changes and can subside as you get further along on the menopause train.
  • Posted

Had exactly the same problem when I began peri 6 years ago. It is soooo irritating and drove me nuts for a while! Just as you, my itching would be worse at night. I went to my Gyn several times looking for any sort of relief with no luck at all! Finally, I started noticing that using any harsh/ scented soap is what would cause my problem, so I tried using only soft, non irritating liquid or neutral soaps and my problem has been solved! Probably, the skin is alot more sensitive due to so many hormonal changes, and using scented soaps, will dry it out and irritate the skin even more! You may want to try non scented soaps for a while and see what happpens...
  • Posted

Hi. This is very normal. I use a natural suppository I found at CVS drugstore. I forgot the name of it but it is mostly lactic acid and it helps with itch and any imbalance that may cause me odor or discharge. Externally, I use derma-e tea tree and vitamin E cream mixed with hydrocortisone cream but you could use just the hydrocortisone cream. The suppositories and the hydro cream cost about $11 dollars for both.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.