Vaginal prolapse

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi there I hope there is someone out there going through what I'm going through. I had Tvt

& bladder repair in July 2016.

I've now got complete vaginal prolapse. Have been told by my consultant that the only thing left for him to do. Will be to sew me up to a very small opening. Great there goes my sex life please please hope someone out there can help me. I've since spoken to my doctor who has referred me to a different hospital for 2nd opinion..

The pain is terrible

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

jacque I don't know whether you are in the U.K. or not but I thought this practice had been stopped some years ago. Was it a urogynaecologist you saw? If it wasn't ask for a referral to one and if it was a urogynaecologist I would ask for a 2nd opinion. 

• Posted

I would definitely get a second opinion... and a third and a fourth if needed.  They can do so much, surgically, surely there are other ways they can help!  That just can't be the only option.

i have seen that surgery mentioned in literature as an option, but only for women who were both older and also didn't want to have sex anymore.

• Posted

Did the consultant say why that is only thing left to do?? If you are sexually active, or want to ever be again, sewing you up seems an absurd thing for a professional to suggest.  When you say "pain is terrible", is this new pain?  Do you associate it with the repair last July or with the prolapse? Did you not have any pain or prolapse prior to Tvt /bladder repair?

Ask , ask and ask again.... get more opinions for sure!

Be your own best advocate and the women here will help you along the path. There has got to be a better solution!

• Posted

Hi Jacque. I too have a vaginal vault prolapse, that's what it's called if you don't have a womb any more. If you have it's a prolapsed uterus. I'm having an op called Sacrospinous Fixation or SSF to hopefully mend it. A similar op, Sacrocolpopexy,  to lift the uterus and fix to spinal ligaments can also be done if you don't want the uterus (womb) removed in a hysterectomy. I was once offered the op where you are stitched tightly so you don't have much of a vaginal entrance any more..... I refused for same reason you have. This was in 2002 when I was still in my fifties and had a husband at that time so did not want that option. You should definitely ask to see a urogynaecologist for another opinion. I doubt if many women would chose to be 'stitched up' in this day and age. rolleyes I doubt if it would relieve the pain symptoms which in my case too very severe now. If you are in UK this is what happens here but can't speak for US or anywhere else. Make sure you get a referral to uro gynae soon as!

• Posted

My mom had 3 prolapse surgeries and they closed her vagina up on the 3rd surgery but she was in her early 70's. I would definitely get a 2nd opinion. Praying you get good news.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.