venalaxifine and increased anxiety

Posted , 5 users are following.

i have been on venalaxifine for 3 days and my anxiety has gone through the roof , burning skin , tremors  feel so anxious all day no let up , has anybody else experienced worserning symptons after taking venalaxifine , i am on 75 mg a day

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Terry, sorry to hear of your problems.

As you have only been taking Venlafaxine for a few days it may well be that you are being affected by some of the many possible side-effects of this drug.

Under the circumstances the correct thing to do would be to refer-back to your GP as soon as possible, stating what you are experiencing.

I am not saying that this is the case as only your GP could make that decision, but it may well be that this drug is unsuitable for you.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi terry I've been taking sertraline for 8 days and have been very anxious people keep telling me you get worse before you get better but check with your go to be safe I know it's a different tablet to the one your taking but it's for the same thing sorry your feeling like this it's horrible I can definatally relate to how your feeling xxxxx
  • Posted

Hi Terry, If possible please let those who are with you know how you are feeling and get their support. Then, as already mentioned, go back to your GP and let them know, if you cannot get a booked appointment insist on them providing a telephone consultation on the day. It is important that you seek some medical advice rather than wait. Personally, I had a very strong response to the side effects of this drug and could not tolerate it, after only 1 dose. This does not mean that you are having the same response at all but i would suggest you discuss this at the earliest opportunity with your Dr. All the best
  • Posted

Most anti depressant will increase some of your symptoms before then easing them. maybe get your docotr to prescribe propanol (preferred drug as its not addicitve ) or you can have diazapam for a short period 
    • Posted

Sorry I meant to say i came of mirtazapine, and moved to  my current dose from 37.5 to 225mg in around 6 weeks. And whilst it was hard on some days it was worth it now
  • Posted

When starting any anti depressant your GP and the the paperwork inside with your tablets states this is normal to begin with. You are on a low dose too so thatthe doctor can check out that drug works well and the body gets used to it. I went from 37.5mg to 225mg when i switched tablets to Venflaxine in 8 weeks. As soon as the worsed went away the doctor was prepared to move up slowly. So end of week 1 i went up to 75.mg,, followed by 150mg for 2-3 weeks and then 225mg. Its suits some people but it might not suit you. So stick with it.

Many side effect I had was Weight Loss ( which was a good thing for me ) of around Stone and Half, Nausea and Stomach/Intestinal Pains and Aches. All eventual subside although the not feeling hungry is sort of still there but a sweet tea or sweet drink usually kick starts everything

• Posted

thanx for your reply , i am on 30mg of mirtazapine at the moment been on it for about 7 weeks ,but had been on venlaxfine for about 8 years doctor stop it at xmas as it wasnt working any more , but put me back on it again now , the two together make me feel numb , very nervous  and anxious  really feel lost , i thought i would see some improvement on the mirtazapine , but nothing yet ! anxcious all day no let up horrible 
  • Posted

Venlafaxine is a stimulant and is generally seen as an activating anti-depressant. For people like me who suffer a kind of depression where they lack any focus/motivation and feel drained of all energy and interest in life/people, it served a purpose of "lifting" my mood and outlook so I was more functional and much less interested in killing me. 

It had little to no effect on anxiety for me (I was on 225mg a day) although I found the anxiety naturally lessened as my mood lifted (seeing as I generally cared less about things and spent less time ruminating). Overall, I'd rate it as a good second choice  anti-depressant, if like me you are unresponsive (and have adverse reactions to) SSRI antidepressant drugs. 

What I will say though is that the withdrawals from this drug are a force to be reckoned with. Missing a dose induced instant suicidal ideation in me. If you're going to stick with it and see if the anxiety lessens as your system adjusts, I'd advise taking into consideration that you need to withdraw very, VERY carefully from it. The rebound anxiety and depression that I experienced from Venlafaxine rank amongst the worst experiences of my life. Be careful, don't withdraw quickly or go cold turkey. 

Good Luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.