Venlafaxine got me out of the worst but...

Posted , 4 users are following.

Turns out I've had depression since my teens. I'm just very stoic as a person. I've been off work for 7 months now with totally crippling depression - I'm 31. With a psychiatrist's help venlafaxine has enabled me to leave the house again and start doing normal day to day things. Anxiety is manageable. Citalopram and Sertaline before that didn't work. I've been on 300mg of venlafaxine now for 6 weeks (overall on it for over 5 months).

My problem now is that I'm desperately sad all the time. I have no motivation or interest in life. I do things when other people are around and I can act normal but when I have a moment to myself my mood plummets. I cry a lot. Distractions stop the feeling for short times and then it returns. It's like I've glimpsed the darkness and I can't seem to shake it . It's like my soul is darkness and I can't escape it.

Anyone had similar experiences? Advice on meds?

Thank you.

2 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

Hey hun.

I know exactly how youre feeling i was off for 5 months last year till jan with it. With help of mirtazapine i crawled back a little enough to get me back to work but im back off again. Unfortunaly this drug is causing severe problems with my health so waiting to see psychiatrist about it.

Its very true once you see the darkness it feels like even when you manage to escape it there is always the feeling that at any moment its going to suck you back in.

Im finding little interest in anything.

Do you wake up feeling so down that you feel it deep in youre stomach? I actually dread going to bed knowing i have to get up with that xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for replying. I really sympathise.

On a good day I'm up out of bed by lunchtime. I also feel sheer dread when I wake up and realise I'm alive. I tend to feel it in my chest - behind my sternum. This dark churning feeling of fear and sadness deep inside me.

I kind of feel relief that I can go to bed at night and sleep, but it starts all over again in the morning.

Are you going to ask to up your meds? I've not tried that drug but I have been on amitriptyline a while back although side effects weren't tolerable for me.

Take care xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

God no dont ever go on that drug its ruined my life to the point i have symptoms i never had before. Im worse now with psychical symptoms. Cant sleep constant stomach pain pins and needles all over anxiety to the point im climbing the walls through the night list goes on! Unfortunatly its a terrible drug to try and come off i was off it cold turkey and ended up in hospital a week. So back on it and the cycle has begun again! I was on a drug called dosulipin its an older trycilic one for 6 years and i never had any problems but it just stopped working and they dont really prescribe it as much now as it has a leathal overdose (overdose and you die) and i had got to the point after my mum died that i too wanted to die. So i wont be given that again. Also tried amytritiline sertraline citalopram all with terrible side effects. Id love nithing more than to be drug free full stop!x
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

hi there

Venalfaxine is a strange drug as most people it doesn't work, they've had the worst side effects: sweating, increase in anxiety, dizzy spells, depression worsen and many more. However if this works for you then great but if not, if you are still feeling sad and crying all the time please go back to your Dr.

Also taking about your conditions always helps.

Thanks

Neil

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hello Thisgirl,

Venlafaxine got me back to being myself. The remaining problem is that I tire quickly and achieve very little day after day. 

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up