Vertigo after osteopath?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi I have just had my first ever vertigo experience, wow, hope it never happens again. Two days later and I'm foggy headed and a bit wobbly still. It woke me up at 5am and whenever I tilted my head left or right the room spun . I've just started with an osteopath for neck issues and it's been going well. Though this time my neck was really sore and developed a bad headache, this got worse for two days, then got the vertigo . The dr thinks it's from the manipulation as opposed to my ears, I do also have tinnitus which developed similar time of my mayor neck issues. All the info I look at points to ears, is anyone heard of vertigo caused by neck issues.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Ive been dizzy now for three years.  Ive been diagnosed with silent migraine but I have a bad neck and a prolapsed disc at C3.  Im convinced Ive got damage to my SCM muscle.  Check it out maybe theres a connection for you.  Im pushing to get to see a consultant who deals with cervical spine. 
    • Posted

Thanks Paula I will, I'm def in quite a bit of neck pain.

Went back to dr today and he said nooo neck crunching . He wants to see X-ray images, he also tested me neurologically as neck manipulation has been known to cause a kink in the artery which runs at the back of neck to the brain, very serious and causes vertigo too. He says 1% chance but any visual or pain changes go to hospital.

• Posted

Yes! I had lightheadeness, slight vertigo, ringing in the ears, and sciatica for many years .following ex-husband's heavy hand....x-rays showed a damaged neck/back..in 2013, i went to a stellar chiro..3 times a week..it was life changing, altho, i couldn't afford more than 3 months of treatments (6-8mo is the protocol)..for over a year, i enjoyed no dizziness..until last Dec...and again Jul 3&4..still having issues..altho, i'm thinking it's to do with inner ear., now..Dr.Foster exercises help now..except they're hard on a bad neck. .I urge you to consider seeing a reputable chiropractor or acupuncturist who has patients to testify for him. Perhaps your osteopath over extended your neck. Be careful, prayers and I wish you well..
    • Posted

So glad you had relief that's awesome ! I feel like I'm back at square one, this guy is really respected and I know a number of people who have seen him for years, but yes think it's over done. I'm still foggy headed and exhausted so will wait a little
  • Posted

My BPPVstarted a week after physio for my neck, i think its more than a coincidence.
    • Posted

Wow thanks Anne I've been worrying about other reasons. Did it take long to get over ?
  • Posted

So update after ent visit today , no bppv, balance good, no menieres, can't see any obvious reason for vertigo attacks. I have slowly got less foggy headed with today being the best. He can't say if neck caused it . Funny not bppv as both attacks were early morning and lying slightly downhill on neck roll . Neck ache still severe and still feel off balance a little .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.