VERY anxious about endoscopy tomorrow

Posted , 11 users are following.

hey everyone, I have a scheduled endoscopy for tomorrow and I'm very anxious about it. that's all I can think about. I barely got any sleep last night and I don't think tonight is going to be any different. I was told I was going to be sedated but I've never undergone through any medical procedure so I guess this is all very unknown to me. I've read several posts here with good experiences and bad. I guess what I want is what to expect from an endoscopy under sedation. thanks for taking your time reading this

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I've had two surgeries the past few years including endoscopy and both were incredibly easy. Anesthesia is really an amazing and advanced technology and you will even find it pleasant if you agent too stressed. I was nervous too, but it wasn't bad at all. It's a minor, routine procedure. The downside for me is that I've had some chronic stomach pain since my endoscopy a month ago that developed after the endoscopy so you might want to ask for a prescription of carafate pills and order some dgl licorice tablets. But the endoscopy itself is easy. Honestly, it's not something to be at all stressed about.

• Posted

Also try some Valerian root and chamomile before you sleep and that will help with any stress.
  • Posted

I had a endoscopy (Gastroscopy) late last year and was more than worried about it because my Doctor thought I had cancer of the upper GI.  I had read the posts on here about the trauma of the endoscopy going down your throat with all the retching and choking.  I struggle to swallow anything larger than an Asprin tablet without a pint of water, so how could I swallow a tube!   In the UK they expect you to just have the throat spray with no sedation.  I could not have managed that, so I asked for the sedation option and I got it.  When I went in the procedure room even the doctor checked whether I was sure I wanted sedation.  I received 3 mg of Midazolam and
  • Posted

I had a endoscopy (Gastroscopy) late last year and was more than worried about it because my Doctor thought I had cancer of the upper GI.  I had read the posts on here about the trauma of the endoscopy going down your throat with all the retching and choking.  I struggle to swallow anything larger than an Asprin tablet without a pint of water, so how could I swallow a tube!   In the UK they expect you to just have the throat spray with no sedation.  I could not have managed that, so I asked for the sedation option and I got it.  When I went in the procedure room even the doctor checked whether I was sure I wanted sedation.  I received 3 mg of Midazolam and 30 seconds later I just could not keep my eyes open and don’t remember I thing until I was in the recovery room. No sore throat, no issues at all. I wondered whether they had actually

done it!  They only found a hiatus hernia which was a big relief.  All the best with your procedure.  

• Posted

I can totally relate.  I have been holding off and hoping my symptoms would improve so I won't have to have this procedure....unfortunately no matter what I am doing to eliminate symptoms it is not improving so I will be getting this done in the next month or so.  My husband and a couple friends had it done under sedation, they said they take you to the procedure room, spray your throat, stick a mouth peace in, and just as the scope goes in you are off to sleep, with in a few minutes they are waking you up and giving results.....you stay for a little bit in recovery as the sedation wears off, they give you a snack and call the person giving you a ride home, and off you go back to your life.  With in a few hours you feel back to normal.  My hubby had a little discomfort  in the sternum area for a day or two...but that was it.  I am nervous as I am sensitive to any medication so I worry about the sedation....but also realize we need to see what is causing my pain.  I wish there was a less stressful way, as this isn't helping gut issues.

• Posted

I had one last week. The worst part was getting the IV put in my arm. When I got to the procedure room they had me get on my left side, bite down on this plastic thingy and the next thing I knew they were waking me up. Nothing to it. No problems afterward either. Went home after about 45 minutes. No problems since either, its been 5 days
  • Posted

When you wake up feeling fine you'll be mad you stressed. It's easy.

• Posted

thank you all about your positive comments! it really makes me feel better than most people had an overall good experience. I'm dreading doing it but i've had stomach pain and reflux for almost 3 years now and antacids don't help me anymore and I'm young(27) so my doctor said i shouldn't be having this issues this young or be dependent to this pills long term. but I've reached a point where I have to find out exactly what's wrong with me so I can fix it. I will let you all know how it went tomorrow so hopefully this helps someone else in the future going through the same thing

• Posted

I had one two weeks ago and can identify with your anxiety! But really the procedure itself is not so bad after all. It takes just a few minutes and then off to eat a good meal!  But I’m one to talk. I’m the queen of anxiety!!!
    • Posted

that actually makes me feel better Barb, I'm a drama queen myself. so i've been stressing a lot about this but now i'm a little more calm. i'm taking a more logical approach. better a few minutes of discomfort than indefinite time of stomach pains. i just hope they can find what's wrong in one go and the doctor doesn't need further tests

• Posted

Let us know how it all goes. And treat yourself to something special as a reward!
  • Posted

Hey everyone. I'm back home! I really worried about nothing. Process was fast and with the sedation i don't remember a thing. Only side effect is the soar throat. But it's not too bad. Just got some halls on my way home and that is doing the trick. They found a "moderately severe acute gastritis" gave me a diet and proton pump inhibitors. Most likely GERD too. Ut didn't have a chance to talk much with my doctor. I'm scheduled to see him in 2 weeks

• Posted

Thanks a lot for the quick response after your procedure. I have one tomorrow and I’m pretty nervous. This helps a lot! 
  • Posted

Glad it went well. Now since they have prescribed meds, you'll start feeling better. My endoscopy only showed mild gastritis, nothing else so I don't know where my nausea is coming from..

• Posted

from what I know it's a possible symptom of gastritis. the nausea. but i"ve personally never had that. my stomach is a little sore. like bruised maybe? idk if anyone else has experience that after the endoscopy hurts when i move like when you do crunches but internally. if that makes sense

• Posted

did your gastritis ever get better?? an update would be so helpful for those of us suffering!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.