Very bad pain in the other leg what is going on?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am on week 4 TKR on the right leg was suppose to have left one done this week decided to push back one week now dr office called and pushed it back one more weekMight as well get stronger

Therapy is slow and hurts but what worries me is that my left leg the one that is not done yet along the outside thigh has this pain that feels like stabbing and burning and numb all together I woke up last night in sooo much pain

These discussions have helped me so much I look forward to reading them

Has anybody else experienced this excruciating pain???

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Diana

I had the same think just over a week ago it lasted about 5 days I was 6wk post TKR was in more pain with my left leg the no operated one than the operated one.

It went away and every now and then I still get it and can only put it down to me walking with one crutch more than 2 and sometimes no crutch limping around and that I have put to much pressure on the left leg which needs a TKR anyway.

Found that getting up from sitting or laying that it took a minute of pain then warmed up and got better..

Since using my crutches religiously and not walking to much unaided it's gotten better again..

Won't do that again as it was so painful I felt like just dropping down..

Cheers

Tony

• Posted

I had that and Physio got me balancing on operated leg for ten seconds frequently and once I was not compensating for the weak leg it went. Still get it time to time if lapse into limping when tired. Try and stand talk chest up when you walk and use two crutches when you can to take pressure off.
    • Posted

So true Caroline it's so easy to get tired or lazy that your not doing the right thing and the body lets us know....

You comments are valuable "stand tall chest up when you walk..."

• Posted

I am thinking that your body is beginning to realign itself from a period of walking improperly and being somewhat put in an abnormal find. Everything is hurting as different muscles are being pulled back in to proper position an strengthened. Take it slow and steady. There is a huge difference between pushing yourself to do it correctly and being pushed to hit the goal of a therapist or Dr. As I advise everyone..........water and rest......without the two your body just canning and will not respond properly. My wife has Parkinson's disease. Everyone thinks it's the tremors that are the worst part but for her it's the lack of elasticity in the body that has slowed her badly. If I can get her to drink at least 8 average sized glasses of water daily and exercise 20 minutes a day (stretching and mobility) it makes a tremendous difference in her life and the same can be said for most. Of course tkr recovery takes a lot more of the day but keep yourself hydrated with WATER. The 2nd part, rest. Sit, relax, elevate, ice. Soft, quiet music. Anything to let the body forget and relax. A tired body will not heal. People that think they have to be going full blast all of the time or be considered weak are just fooling themselves and the system will eventually let you know. Work when you work but when the excercises are finished, let go.
  • Posted

Yes . . i had a pain like that on the operated leg, but I am not sure that it actually was caused by the operation or by the spinal anaesthetic. . no way of knowing what causes nerve damage.  Yours sounds very much like Meralgia Paresthetica, which is an inflammation of a nerve. . can be caused, so they tell me, by pressure on the nerve, gaining too much weight, or even by wearing clothes that are too tight!  the pain I experienced was probably one of the worst pains I have ever had to put up with, but thank heavens it only used to last half an hour orso . .and ALWAYS at night! In my case, it could have been caused by the tourniquet during the operation, but in your case obviously not, as it is not the operated leg. . but if you had a spinal anaesthetic, perhaps. . . . Nerve pain takes its time to go, but it usually does in the end! I still have the numbness, and occasional 'electric shock' feelings after eighteen weeks, but that awful feeling of burning or of the  flesh being ripped off has gone. . .I think it would quite surely driven me to insanity!  Hope it clears up soon for you.  Heavens, it's very soon to be having the other one done!  You are very brave!!!!
  • Posted

Thank all of you for your replies

All of the comments has put my mind at ease and things make sense now

I just hope the second surgery goes well

Today I have therapy and the weather is cold so I feel it in the leg

If it is not one thing it is another!!!

Good luck to everyone

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.