Very blurred vision

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all

So was visiting my dad today and he said yesterday his vision was very blurry and he had to sit down for about 15mins until it passed ....but he's very stubborn and won't just go to the doctor for that..it would have to keep up for a while..he's not long had his eyes tested...just wondering if this has happened to any of you?

Thanks Leanne

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi this sounds like cataracts which is very common in older people. It usually comes on slowly over time but it can happen very quickly too. 

However there could be more serious causes.  Has the blurring happened before?   Can he see out of the whole of his eye ie at the centre and the outside edges?   If he feels like a shadow has crossed his eye it could be retinal detatchment which needs urgent treatment.  It probably isn't though.

I would get him to visit the optician again as that's probably what the doctor would say.  Tell him he needs to value his sight as he wouldn't want go blind.

Having said all that my vision goes blurry sometimes but it soon passes.  As a lifelong glasses wearer I am very tuned into eye health.  Good luck. 

• Posted

Just noticed you have posted this in the copd site.  Does your father have copd?   If so then some preventer meds can cause blurriness and cataracts.  It is a well known side effect,  though not very common,  for example of symbicort. 

• Posted

Hi hypercat

He described it like looking through jelly lol all blurry and shaky....he's really not one for complaining so when he mentioned something I worry...I start thinking is this his body warning him

Leanne

• Posted

Hi leanne

If this is a one off the cause could be any number of things and not necessarily related to COPD.

But if your Dad experiences this frequently, yes he should see his doctor who will be more aware of your Dad's medical history and will have a pretty good idea what needs checking.

If the eye test was fine I wouldn't expect the symptoms to be anything to do with the eye health. 

• Posted

Hi Vee

He hasnt meantioned it again..I should have asked him at the weekend...it totally went out my head..He probably wont say anything now as i go in for a operation and he knows i worry about everyone else lol I hope it was a one off...i just think your boby warns you before something happens... i hope not sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.