Very hyper-graves, allergic to methimazole, Now on PTU

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm going to try to make this short: I'm a female 33, hyperthyroid, graves disease, overweight (biggest ever) was on methimazole two weeks but became allergic to it.....worst hives ever. Now my endo has me on PTU 200 mg a day. My metabolism is running 4xs higher then a normal one and slightly large. Has anyone been on PTU (this is short terminology) ? If so did your joints hurt? Once I began this medicine my joints have started killing me....is this normal? Will it get better? If not there is no more medication for me and I don't want my thyroid gone. My Mom has this but her levels were not as extreme as mine and she has been in remission twice.....so I know there is hope.

3 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The main tests doctors do to follow your thyroid are the Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) which is a message from the pituitary to put out thyroid hormone when needed.  With autoimmune diseases such as Graves disease, the antibodies attack the thyroid receptor in the pituitary and the pituitary gets a wrong message.  The other two tests are Free T4 which is the inactive form of thyroid hormone and Free T3 which is the active form of thyroid hormone.  In addition, doctors check for antibodies at diagnosis TSI and TRab for Graves and anti-TPO which measures the amount of inflammation.
    • Posted

Hi Linda

you are lucky to have found a decent endo.

Are you in the UK as I am still looking for a decent knowledgeable endo surgeon. Is a TSh of 0.16 ,T4 16.5, TPOA less than 33 and a multinodular goitre indicative of hyper or hyypothyroidism?

Jean

• Posted

Ladies, I'm in the US so maybe it makes a little difference... I am very, very happy with my endo, as my regular doctor was not helping me at all.
    • Posted

The TSH is indicative of hyperthyroidism but the T4 normal range varies from lab to lab so you would have to get a paper copy of your results and post the ranges for normal for your lab.  The TPO indicates low inflammation.  The goitre in and of itself does not indicate hyper or hypothyroidism.  Clearly you are hyperthyroid though.  Did they check for TSI antibodies which would indicate Graves disease?
    • Posted

Yes its listed above....501. I'm not asking if I have been diagnosed correctly because two Dr have told me I have hyperthyroid and Graves. I'm looking for answers about PTU and joint pain relation. At this point I have an answer it does cause joint pain....I know I feel it. Tomorrow I will lower my doage and slower work up to my dosage. Thanks to all who have helped.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.