Very new this whole thing and having a tough time

Posted , 7 users are following.

This all started as I felt sick went to the Emergency room got all sorts of blood work done, and put on two antibiotics due having been bites by a tick, the lymes test came back three days later negative but was told I had a blood infection, the medicine would fix it and on the 6th day felt much better only to have the same feeling 2 weeks later and did the same thing. Over again and was told everything was good but it was anxiety causing my symptoms, dizzy uneasy feeling depressed cause of it and now I'm on my third week of the cit and had terrible side effects for 3 days and most passed, nausea headache panic attacks constantly, but I'm still left with nausea here and there loss of appetite a lot and still dizzy a lot and anxious all the time with panic attacks 3 times or better a day thinking I know something is wrong, I've had panic attacks before when I was younger but learned to breathe through them and id be fine, I also had minor anxiety over medical things before but they always passed in a day or two, this time it caught me hard and I'm convinced something is wrong and even though my blood came back normal, tonight has been the worst since I've started the med very dizzy and hard to focus just nervous as I've never experienced this type of thing for more than an hr or so before, could it be the medicine built up all its going to and I need to increase or just a blip as I've read, I've been on this forum since I found it after googling the medicine I got prescribed but never felt good enough to post but did find comfort in reading the posts sometimes had to read it just to fall asleep, I'm just so confused how this could happen so quick and take over like it has to be point that I almost don't believe anxiety is all it is, especially because I never felt the stress or anxiety building up to lead to this I always felt fine everyday before my first hospital visit, also I should tell you that it lasted for 2 weeks before I ever when to the dr the first time with pressure in the back of my head and dizzy and feeling terrible, sorry if this seems all over the place just super anxious over it all and so ready to feel like me again

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I shoulda also of said that I am on 20 mg and have been since the start and my dr never told me to step it slowly from 10 to 15 to 20 like I've read would've made it much easier.

• Posted

I also started the same as you I was in hospital certain I had serious stomach issues and they told me they felt I had anxiety problems so I started on 20 mg of citalopram and than I realized what having anxiety was all about. The first real episode is very scary and I remember feeling so far from myself I was losing my mind. Up nights pacing around the house overthinking way too much. But the good news is after a few weeks it started to improve. Attacks grew farther apart although I would still get them and feel like I was bottoming out again every time. Than a couple months went by and I started a new job and the attacks slowly faded away. That was 13 yrs ago now. I've just recently had a relapse and been bumped up to 40 and am going through it again but it's never as bad as the first and all I gotta say is unfortunately it all takes time but it will get better. The last thing anyone wants to hear is its going to take time but that's how it was for me and everyone's different. Good luck.

• Posted

Sorry to hear you are going through such a bad time at the moment but it will get better even though now it probably doesnt feel like it is going to

I agree with everything Sarah has said I was started on 20mg Citalopram about 2-3yrs ago now having had anxiety and panic attacks on and off for many years and now at least I feel in control again and you will too once your dosage has been sorted out Although I would never wish all this on anyone else it is good to know you are not the only one suffering like this we have all been through these feelings you are having at the moment that helped me a lot thinking I was not the only one trying to stay positive is not easy I know but it really is the best way forward

I also found keeping yourself busy even if you dont really feel like it will take your mind off it too giving you something else to replace your thoughts with I really hope you feel better soon and dont forget you are never alone everyone is here for you just a message away !

• Posted

I too started on 20mg. I took 20mg for 4 months and I have been on 30mg for 2 weeks. I have some ok days but I still feel some nausea some days. I find it hard to focus some days. I have a lot of anxiety in the mornings. I get a strange feeling in my head and ears most of the day. When I stay busy my anxiety seems to be more under control but when I am not busy my mind starts to race and I worry. I hope you feel better soon.
  • Posted

It will get better it's just hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you feel anxious. When you first take an antidepressant it usually heightens your anxiety to begin with so its probably not even you but the medication settling into your system. Unfortunately like others have said its not a quick fix but things will start to improve its just a bit frightening to begin with when you feel like you can't control it. I've been on cit for 10 weeks started on 10 and have now been on 30 for just over 2 weeks. Things are definitely improving, my appetite is returning and some days I pretty much feel back to my old self but recovery is very up and down, I've just had a very bad couple of days but I know I will improve again until I get back on an even keel again. Keep going and remember there's lots of us going through this journey with you.

• Posted

Oh my....youve been through quite a bit!!! The brain is a complex thing? Just take one dat at a time..i used mindfulness which helped me in the beginning...you will get there....good luck..
  • Posted

I'm sorry to hear thy anxiety has creeped up on you again. I had a similar thing just happen to me.

Had to have surgery to get an ovary removed (very unexpectedly). It seems like after that I constantly had the feeling something was wrong, medically. I went to the hospital because I couldn't breathe & was having chest pain. Same thing as you, nothing was wrong! All bloodwork was normal & they said I was having a panick attack. I hadn't had symptoms of anxiety for a few years before all this.

There's no rhyme or reason to anxiety. It can come on over the silliest things.

My Dr. Put me on Citalopram about 8 weeks ago & I can say, there were times during this process that I wanted to stop taking it. I had terrible attacks as well. Even just last week was bad. And now this week I feel amazing. But HANG IN THERE!! It has definitely gotten better. It's just a very long process! It can take months before you start feeling good (from what I've read). Hope you figure this all out! Good luck 👍🏼

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.