very scared. need some feedback

Posted , 4 users are following.

A few months ago I was dealing with lots of phgelm. Though it was post nasal drip. Well, a few weeks ago I started having pain in the mid chest and low throat. Every day my symptoms have gotten worse. I have severe heart burn, especially at night, horrible sore throat that radiated to my jaw and ear. Taking a daily 40 mg. acid blocker but doesnt seem to be working. It's gotten to the point that I'm hardly eating at all anymore. I have an endoscopy scheduled for Tuesday and I'm very scared. I'm 34 and a female. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Your symptoms are typical of extra-oesophageal relux (also known as LaryngoPharyngeal Reflux or LPR) which doesn't have to be acidic to cause problems. (Acid suppressants can tame acid but do not stop reflux.)

Refluxate traversing the height of the oesophagus can breach the upper oesophageal sphincter (LPR) and aspirate into the airways where it can cause all sorts of problems and symptoms - including excess phlegm in the bronchi, throat and nasal passages resulting in constant throat clearing, chronic cough and post nasal drip amongst many other symptoms.

I suffered from these all my life and was constantly being sent to ENT when the problem was really from reflux.

I eventually had a fundoplication operation to reduce the relux which cured the LPR symptoms.

• Posted

Thanks for all the info. I'm looking forward to a diagnosis so I can hopefully start fixing this. Mine came in so suddenly except for the phlegm. Did u experience chest pains constantly? That and the constant acid burn is hard to take. I'm always nervous its going to be esophageal cancer. My aunt just passed away last year from the horrible disease.
  • Posted

The endoscopy is easy. I've always had sedation and the only issue afterward is sometimes a sore throat. The prep before hand is usually just not to eat after midnight. Good luck. Hope it gives you some answers.
    • Posted

Thank you. I'm not so much scared of endoscopy but of the results. I'm always thinking things are the absolute worst.
  • Posted

Karen I just want to support what our colleagues have sai n saying that the endoscopy will not be any where nearly as bad as you imagine.I have had it done and my wife as also had it done twice and on all occasions we were only given the throat spray.

Going by our experiences and others the common factor is that those carrying out the procedure treat you with the upmost care and will ensure that you are never too uncomfortable throughout the process. Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.