very swollen knee front from an accident

Posted , 3 users are following.

i was involed in a motorcyle accident 3 weeks ago this resulted in me have a fractured veratbrae and a very swollen knee from hiting the car door hard injuring the knee joint causing very server bruising and swelling to the knee to the extent that the area is dea and i can not bend the kne very far and as an added complication i also have arthrtis in the knee joint what i want to know is will the arthritic knee be much worse for the injury or will there be any other complications and how long will the swelling take to go down concidering it has already been over 3 weeks nearing 4 weeks since the accident 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there!

Welcome to the knee problems forum!

Swelling is a natural part of the healing process, but it can also take a long time to recede! It is the body's way of cushioning an injury that took place.

Swelling makes it harder to move gracefully! The knee won't bend or straighten as it did before the swelling which causes us to walk in a peculiar manner.

I have had both knees replaced in the last eight months, so swelling definitely was part of my life for many months.

Icing the knee helps. So does Ibuprofen which is an anti-inflammatory that helps reduce swelling. Drinking plenty of water helps reduce swelling also by flushing out toxins in the body.

It is impossible to tell how long the swelling will last. Generally arthritis seems to hit ANY injured or overworked joint.

Have you had the knee x-rayed? It's possible that the blow to your knee injured something within your knee and THAT could be causing your pain.

I hope you feel better soon and will follow up with your doctor. He/She might suggest more investigation into seeing what is going on with that KNEE.

• Posted

The arthritic knee may be worse as a result of this injury.

It may be worth having an x ray of the knee.

How long will it take the swelling to go down, well how long is a piece of string?!

If you are concerned I would go to a GP.

I don't know where you live but here in Wales you can refer yourself for physiotherapy without going through a doctor.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

hI all

thanks for the reply back just a little more back ground info

the knee was already painfull and i was diclofence for this. i was in hospital for 3 weeks the x-rays showed up nothing out of the unsual the Knee is slowly coming back to life but is alot more sore the doctors in the hospital did not say too much about the knee when i raised my concerns but i think i will see my GP in the too distant future as i do not want too get  infection in the joint.

• Posted

Did you get xrays and an MRI. That's the only way you'll know the extent of the damage and plan for recovery. Its takes awhile and if you have continued to try and use the leg you might possibly be just aggravating the condition. I think most on here soul d reccommed icing, elevating and rest untill you get a diagnosis

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.