Very worried about the required exercise/activity following TKR

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all,

the more and more I read, it is very clear that the knee will require a great deal of exercise following the surgery and during recovery.  This is becoming a big concern of mine.

I can no walk longer than about 10 minutes due to pain in my feet, and it is a slow pace.  I used to walk about 2-3 hours most days of the week - I LOVED walking - but since I had a double Cheilectomy due to arthritis - they have only gotten worse and worse, and some days are nearly crippling.

I do  not know if I will physically be able to do that moch walking, etc.  

There must be others in this position, andI was wondering if there are other means of physio to sort you out?  

How soon can we get the leg wet after the op?  ANd how long until you can swim?   Or what other types of physio would help in a situation like this?  A gym with resistance weights?  Cycling?  Or a treadmill (I could probably do twice as long on a tread mill.   

I am getting very nervous - my wuality of life is already pretty low - I don;t want to regret anything.  And I am a bit frightened now.  sad

Any words of encouragement?  

Also - can I ask what the average age of us who are having TKRs is?  I am 57.  But I feel much older.  

Thank you for any thoughts.  smile 

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Try not to be anxious. It is hard work, but worth it. I was reduced to only being able to walk reliably for ten minutes pre op. Sometimes i could do a bit more,say 20 mins. See my profile. Peek at my blog. I am just 52. You have a chance of getting your life back. I am 4 months post op . The only tears i am shedding now are of joy. I cannot quite believe i can walk about freely, carry things and stand for hours. Still devoted to continuing exercises...But that is a good lifelong thing to do anyway. Losing weight helps. I lost three stone pre surgery and want to lose a bit more. More chance of doing that when mobile.
    • Posted

I hear what you are saying, but I still will not be able to walk, or stand, because the arthrtis in my feet is actually worse than in my knees.  Thats what I mean.  I don;t expect my knees to have a significant effect on my mobility - because that really is down to my feet.

Thats what I expect - maybe, and its a big maybe, there wil be a knock off effect on my feet but they do not think so.  So I will have great new knee, but not able to walk or use it because of my feet.  

• Posted

Do you use sticks? It might help feet in some way, worth asking a professional. With rehab I did not walk without support for at least 8 weeks...lots of exercises are done in bed or when sitting, and they focus on range of motion first, then strengthening later on.
    • Posted

Ooops, see you have said "they" don't think it will make difference. However, I had terrible pain in my foot pre op, and it is fine now...that was soft tissue related though. However it does change the way you walk a lot.

• Posted

How long ago did you have surgery?  I'm 70 and lov d walking too.  I turn d a corner after surgery at about 4 months.  My strength started returning and I was able to do more.  Everyone is different though.  If it hurts your feet to walk maybe you could use a exercise bike.  We need to strengthen our quad muscles,  Go on utube and see if you can find exercises to work on your quads without hurting your feet.  If you're going to physical therapy ask them what would be good for you. 

• Posted

Thank you.  ....I did just get a new bike, so that will hopefully be good.  

Oh I hope I am cut out for this.  I am not known for being a very strict discipinarian with myself....this is going to be a big stretch for me.  lol  smile

But i am aware of the importance so will just have to push on through it all.   

• Posted

My doctor told me at two weeks not to worry about the walking yet.  He said to make sure I exercised to get the bend back and the straight leg.  He said if you can bend and straighten your leg normally you will walk!
  • Posted

Hi Pence...All of the exercises you mentioned are good for TKR. I'm not an expert, but from what I've read, walking is not that high of a priority in the beginning of recovery. There are a lot of other options. Stationery bike, swimming, leg presses, and all the pt exercises are what you need to start. Good luck to you on this crazy journey. I'm 57 also. 7 weeks post op.

• Posted

Oh good - I am relieved to know that walking is not the main thing - I had it in my head it was.  

Phew.  Thank you!!  smile

• Posted

I think son engines people try to walk too much too soon! At least you won't have that temptation! Have to look on the bright side!!

• Posted

"How soon can we get the leg wet after the op?"  I've heard different numbers from other people...mine said wait until the stitches come out.  Again, depends on what your doc tells you.

"And how long until you can swim?"  My doc said six weeks until you can submerge the leg.  Others have been told a lot less.  Ask your doc.

"Or what other types of physio would help in a situation like this?"  All the stuff at PT plus what they recommend to get your ROM back.  After that...

"A gym with resistance weights?  Cycling?  Or a treadmill (I could probably do twice as long on a treadmill."   Here's the whole program designed by a pro...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/post-tkr-exercising-565527

Walking is always great...lots of options.

• Posted

Bike and water exercises are best choice for bad feet. Water exercises after incision COMPLETELY healed over. Depending where you are, they cover incision with waterproof dressing so i can go into shower right away, no baths. Tons of exercises can be done in bed or while sitting in chair. Dont stress. Lots of ways around problems...

wink
  • Posted

My advice is to visit a few PTs before your surgery and make sure they can address your issues and that you feel comfortable with him or her. I've been going to PT for many years for different issues & theres definitely a difference in quality.

BTW, I'm 61 & had my TKR 7 weeks ago. Still working hard & progressing slowly.

Good luck.

• Posted

PenceJan,

Hope your pain lessens, I was able to start swimming after the suture closed.

It has helped not only in getting some exercise but also makes me feel good about doing my part...I am 62.

• Posted

I am glad we can swim - i LOVE swimming, and that is one area I will see a change as swimming now feels unpleasasnt due to the looseness of my knee.  Thanks Mayo - that helps!  smile  

Jan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.