Very worried about the required exercise/activity following TKR

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all,

the more and more I read, it is very clear that the knee will require a great deal of exercise following the surgery and during recovery.  This is becoming a big concern of mine.

I can no walk longer than about 10 minutes due to pain in my feet, and it is a slow pace.  I used to walk about 2-3 hours most days of the week - I LOVED walking - but since I had a double Cheilectomy due to arthritis - they have only gotten worse and worse, and some days are nearly crippling.

I do  not know if I will physically be able to do that moch walking, etc.  

There must be others in this position, andI was wondering if there are other means of physio to sort you out?  

How soon can we get the leg wet after the op?  ANd how long until you can swim?   Or what other types of physio would help in a situation like this?  A gym with resistance weights?  Cycling?  Or a treadmill (I could probably do twice as long on a tread mill.   

I am getting very nervous - my wuality of life is already pretty low - I don;t want to regret anything.  And I am a bit frightened now.  sad

Any words of encouragement?  

Also - can I ask what the average age of us who are having TKRs is?  I am 57.  But I feel much older.  

Thank you for any thoughts.  smile 

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Jan. I was 64 when I had both knees replaced, March 2016. No one told me how much recovery time was involved or that strengthening the quadriceps was so important. You know now. My get were an issue for me. I was a walker, loved it until arthritis set in. My bone scan showed it in nearly every part of my body. Pool walking for 30 mins a day is a mighty exercise for us feet sufferers. So is upper body resistance exercise and what ever movement you can do. Even fidgiting in a chair for 15 mins 4 times a day uses energy. Just make up your mind if you want to put in the effort or not. What are your choices? Wheelchair, sticks, crutches or the chance of increased mobility anf some movement improvement. Only you can decide. I am glad after investing a year out of my busy life to recover and another 3 months to get used to a new way of walking. x
    • Posted

"No one told me how much recovery time was involved or that strengthening the quadriceps was so important."

That just about says it all...everything else is a Jedi mind trick.  LISTEN TO LYN!!!!  She rocks this!!!

• Posted

Thanks, our Oracle. Just another aged, damaged, then surgically renovated person doing the best they can. Really no other way forward. Stay upright! .xx
    • Posted

Oh I intend to put in the effort.  I know its necessary - that has never been in question.  Its all just a bit overwhelming, and I know I will have to dig deep to do it.  But I can do that.  As I said earlier, this is number 20 major surgery for me - not just knees - as I get older, they get harder to get over - Thats a lot of General Anesthesia - a major op every 1 and a half years average....it takes its toll and I'm tired.  LOL  

• Posted

Hi again Jan. It's all up to us. The surgeons just do surgery. In Australia so many fall through the cracks. Myself and my sister included. Once we take our ownership of our recovery and our health, seriously, well it feels mighty fine. Just tell yourself you will be well and soon enough. What else is there to do? All the very best to you for an optimum result. x

• Posted

NOT my get. My feet.not anf but and. The auto correct drives me silly. Phone is hard to post from. Sorry, I am in Penang and no computer. x
  • Posted

Hi PenceJan!

I'm 56 and had right TKR 6 weeks ago. My mom is 83 and she's in much better physical condition than me, so I know what you mean about feeling older. I've also had 3 surgeries on my left foot/ankle between Sept 2015 and Sept 2016 for PTTD ("All American Surgery"wink. Earlier in 2015 had total hysterectomy due to cancer, so pretty much for the past 2 years I've been very inactive. Like you, I used to enjoy walking, 3-5 miles most days. I've gained 50 pounds over the last couple years due to inactivity and bad eating habits. In Feb 2017 I was diagnosed with CRPS (complex regional pain syndrome) in my left foot, and I was very worried about how that would affect my knee replacement recovery. And yes, my quality of life was extremely poor. But the ony way it was going to improve was by getting my TKR surgery scheduled. 

I just took my first walk this past weekend (a very short one, just under half a mile) and indeed my foot pain was worse than the knee pain by the time I got back. I plan to very gradually add walking to my therapy but if the foot pain becomes an issue I'll have to try something else. If you have access to a bike, treadmill or pool I would say go for it! Any of those are as good or better than walking. I think the main thing is to keep as active as possible once you are at that point in your recovery. As far as getting the knee wet, I had a waterproof bandage completely covering the incision and was able to shower right away. But submerging in a tub or pool I was told 6 weeks.

We are rooting for you! Keep us posted as you recover. So many amazingly helpful people here with loads of advice and encouragement.

• Posted

Thank you so much Terise!!!!  We have a lot in common by the sounds of it!!  I will definately be hanging around!  smile  x
  • Posted

there are lots of exercises which you can do which will not require weight bearing on your feet. I do understand your concerns. I have osteochondritis in my nakles, and am supposed to do the minimum of walking so as not to exacerabate the problem, which is also rather painful.  But exercises to get your knee into shape can mostly be done lying in bed!  leg raises, pulling the heel towards you, lateral movement of the leg.  when sitting on the edge of the bed you can swing your leg up and down, exercising the knee.  When sitting, you can push the leg back to try to increase the bend. of course, it would be nice to be able to walk every day, but your condition . .mine too . .makes that really not possible, but it doesn't mean you can't have a successful TKR. Re getting it wet . . in my hospital, they showered me the day after the operation, using a long waterproof dressing on the knee . . It was no problem at all.  they removed it daily and doused it with disinfectant, and put on a new dressing.  Every hospital seems to have its own ideas though . . Swimming, once the wound is healed and not seeping at all . . not that long, but NO breast stroke, only up and down.  A static recumbent bike would be good, but not essential . . On a general note, make sure you have things in hand ready for the post op period. . .an over the toilet seat to make it higher, some really comfortable loose fitting trousers . . I found wool irritated, and in the end velvet was the most comfortable!  A cross body bag big enough to transport small things like books, pills et . . difficult when you are using crutches.  Plastic plates and glasses to avoid washing up.  Ready made meals in the freezer.  Some extra pillows . . useful for making a favourite chair higher, or to put betqween your knees in bed. . PAIN KILLERS discuss this with your surgeon BEFORE the op, and make sure he is going to give you adquate pain control for the first six weeks at least.  Mine only gave me paracetamol . . absolutely useless!  A trolley is useful for transporting a plate of food . . obviously depends on your house!  A comfortable pair of shoes a bit bigger than usual to cope with swelling.  Ice packs (very useful!)_ You'll be OK!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.