Very worried - anyone any experience of gynae procedures?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi,

I have been reading (and posting) on here for a couple weeks or more and had become very reassured by others' experiences.

I am now, however, shaking like a leaf because I have just been to see my GP - expecting him to reassure me also that it's nothing to worry about at this stage - and he looked extremely worried and has referred me to a gynae, saying that it will need looking into within the next two weeks.

In short: I hadn't had a period since 28th June 2011 until about  3-4 weeks ago when I had the preamble - clear discharge followed a few days later by sore breasts, followed a week later by a couple days of very slight pinkish bleeding. Before the one in 2011, I hadn't had a period for a year. Before which time, they had been extremely heavy for a few years.

What has freaked me out is that the doctor seemed to think this was very urgent, and says "in these cases" they would want to see me within two weeks. He is referring me today to the gynae and says that they may want to have me into hospital to do tests under anaesthetic!

I asked him if this would be general or local, and he said I would need to discuss this with the gynae.

I am almost in tears :''(  I am terrified. I have never in my life spent time in hospital and I have never before had a general anaesthetic and am terrified of this. When I was 8, I had a lot of teeth out under gas and ever since I am terrified of being put to sleep.

Does anyone have any experiences of gynae involvement and what tests they might do, and how invasive they are? both in terms of literally invasive and of types of anaesthetic hat can be used.

I do know/feel sure that I have fibroids but have never actually had this diagnosed, because of the same fear of hospital procedures - as soon as I knew that it would involve putting on a hospital gown and being poked around in some way, I didn't pursue investigating this via the doctor.

Another thing I haven't yet mentioned on this forum - and had to mention to the doctor, which might be why he freaked out and treated this so severely - is that I have never in my life had a successful smear test. Every time they attempted one on me, years ago, I would tense completely and seize up (it's psychological, not physical) and they were unable to get deep enough to get a good scraping. The only time they managed to get any scraping, they came back to me with the result that it wasn't enough sample to get a good testing and they would need to repeat the smear test. And I bottled out of course at that point, having pushed myself beyond my limit to try to relax enough for them to get that sample. It was like I had made my supreme effort and it still wasn't enough...

The doctor today said that in view of this history of being unable to relax in order to have a successful smear test, this is why he is referring me forthwith to the gynae and why he said they might recommend going into hospital and having anaesthetic!!!!

I had hoped that he might have a better solution as to how I could be relaxed enough for them to do a smear, but such a solution was not forthcoming today.

I don't know what to do because I simply cannot bottle out this time, as he seemed to think it was urgent as it might possibly be serious (he said it "might be a problem with the cervix") but I can't explain how terrified I am about the hospital involvement of this.

I don't have any option but to go ahead and see this gynae. But does anyone have similar experiences who can tell me more of what I might expect to happen next? or suggest what I might ask the gynae to do or not do, in the way of tests etc?

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi there,

O you poor love, it's awful to feel like this....and you feel foolish into the bargain eh ? Had a few Gynae experiences, investigations etc....and all positive. Given your history..you probably WOULD benifit from a general anaesthetic? But discuss it with your doctor....I'm sure if you just had one positive experience under your belt...it would help you in the future....

I can only tell you that the anaesthetic is so good these days....you'll be out and back in the ward before you know it...and if all good home that same day ! My surgeon did a laparoscopic procedure, tiny camera inserted thru your navel ! Which had a plaster on till it healed,  and a D and C, dilated me inside and looked and cleaned up.....all was good. DID have fibroids, which he said would shrink down in menopause.....so no action. And I promise you, other than having to rest and relax for 10 days, I felt no ill effects at all .....

good luck honey. X

• Posted

The general anaesthetic is actually as scary for me as any invasive procedure. Almost more so. I will do anything to avoid that. If they tell me that is the ONLY way they can do it, I don't think I can go through with it. I don't mind the pain of the smear test but it was the physical tensing of the muscles - involuntary - that prevented them from going deep enough for long enough to get the sample they needed. It seems crazy to think that my only option to have this done might be to put me to sleep - with all the risks that involves. To me, the risk of not waking up again is worse than any other risks. And I don't know how to get around this fear....

On the other hand, yes i am probably jumping the gun by quite a mile or several!! It was just that at the mention of anaesthetic, the thought "serious" filled my mind and now I'm desperately trying to get beyond that illusion. (Such as, I bumped into a neighbour this morning who out of the blue mentioned that she has had a colostomy bag since she had bowel cancer back in 1992 - and I convinced myself to think that if she managed to survive surgery and obviously anaesthetic even way back then, then surely I need to stop being a baby and accept that millions of people come through anaesthetic quite safely. But I am still scared...)

• Posted

Hi Marie 

when i first had general i was abit anxious, but had it several times now, for different ops ( had a few for different things ) and i actually love it .. 😃 

you wake up and its all fixed .. then you just need to rest up..

jay x

• Posted

Dear Marie

I too was put out by gas at the dentist on 2 ocassions and then had to go to hospital for a general at 14. So I too am terified of a general. When you see the gynae explain this as there are procedures where they can use a local anesthic injection to numb you up. I was told I had to have a general to remove a coil when the strings disappeared. I went to a private gynae and he removed it with a local - much easier for me. I am sure lots of procedures today can be done under local, but a lot of people prefer to be put out and Dr's find it easier too.. So please explain your fear and ask if things can be done without a general and if not why not. The best thing you can do is see the Gynae to review your situation as they are far more knowledgable than the GP on these things.

• Posted

Your are brave Deborah: I lost mine too, but opted to have the general, but I had a D&C while I was out: clean as a whistle I think the gynae said at the time. (Funny, I forgot all about this 'op'!)

The funniest thing was when they were trying to bring me round, one of the theatre staff (male) was talking about me:  "Oh this one was really hard to get under. She had quiet a bit to get her out".  With that, without opening my eyes, I said very clearly "Yeah, that's cos' I'm a nosey cow!"!!!lol.  Think he may have appreciated an incontinence pad at that minute!!!

• Posted

hi Marie

Girl, you have my complete and utter support and sympathy.  Me and you = one and the same, even down to the Dentist  experience (mine was at 10, removing a baby tooth with gas: a 'lovely(!)' Chinese dentist pinning me down to put the mask over my face).

I too am not great with Smear Tests (I seem to have great muscle control there:  the Speculum shoots out of me down to the bottom of the couch(!) but all have been clear).  Also went for my first Mamogram 2yrs ago:  I will always go for regular checks as I know what's entailed.)

Also, my totally inept GP wasn't able to insert a mirena coil for me when they first came out: I was in a terribly compromising postion (legs a-kimbo and in need of contraception) that I just grunted at him "For Christ Sake!  Just put a Mini Copper in then!!": hence more heavy bleedingfrown.  So there lies my dislike of Dentists, Doctors, and Gynaes in general!!!

I too have bottled out lots of things 'gynae'.   I'm still bleeding as regular as a teenager (yeah, a 54yr old 'teenager!!), but i don't get the cramps, chunks, pains etc. 

True they're fluctuating a bit in that one month will be light in colour and flow; others have been a bit heavier (like the last one).  But I don't feel I have a big issue with these things generally now.

I did take Tranexamic Acid for heaving bleeding for quite a while  in my mid-40s:  really did the trick.  But the heavy bleeding was largely caused by an IUD (always had them, the Mini Copper's were notorious for it, so just got used to heavy bleeding). Decided to stop taking this med just to check how things were without.....and never felt the need to take one againsmile

I'll warn you: I am brilliant at advising EVERYONE else to go check things out: I am terrible at taking my own advice.  But, true to form, I am going to tell YOU to put your fears/worries behind you.....and go see that gynae, because even I would!

I always say that our NHS comes into its own when you're either accessing it through A&E or its an emergency.  All credit to your GP: he's doing right by you in this case.

As for anaesthetic: I'm sure you will be in completely good hands. I've only had it a couple of times (adenoids, tonsils as a kid; nasal polyps & sinus flush a couple of years ago), but the last time I felt completely safe and in good hands:  believe it or not the Anaesthetist is one of the most important people in that operating theatre, next to the Surgeon!!

There are ladies on here who have had to endure a multitudes of gynae and other surgeries, and I take my hat off to them.  But as I see, they're all replying to you to put your concerns into perspective, get yourself checked out and then you will know the options/issues facing you. 

One of my sister's had abnormal cells after her smear when she was in her late 40s. (she's 62, been on HRT for 7yrs: loves it!). She had something like laser treatment to cauterise the cells:  never looked back.

She's sort of my Heroine regarding gynae issues as she is so matter-of-fact about things.  As she says "if you feel embarrassed, take some baby wipes with you, freshen up in the loo and don't worry about it.  Afterall, these people have seen it ALL, and girl, you ain't THAT special!!!" - and of course I know she's so bloody right!

As I'm getting older, I'm getting more comfortable with all aspects of 'Me'.  So much so, that reading your post is going to get me making an appointment for a Smear in the next week!!!

Chin Up Kid, You're not on your own with worrying about such things, but just see this referral as a positive thing.  I would say if your GP hasn't put something in his referral letter about your being a 'nervous patient', then you feel free to tell the gynae, and don't forget they'd prefer to know this in advance.

Keep us all posted x

Sx

• Posted

Visits to the Gynae every year? You either have private health care or you don't live in the UK! Here it's smears every three years and mammograms every two after the age of 50. Marie....none of these procedures are pleasant - I had to have a colposcopy years ago which freaked me out but the alternative freaked me out more!!! I'm sure they are only suggesting anaesthesia because you are so tense. Unfortunately you are in a catch 22 situation as your anxiety will only make things worse. Hopefully talking about your fears here will help? Whatever you do you need to get this sorted. *hugs*
    • Posted

Yep, totally with you there fofoma!  I'd say most women in the UK using this site are 99.5% likely to be using the NHS only.  I'm of the opinion I can go buy some info from a gynae privately: but I'd only be jumping a queue, to see someone who I'd likely see via the NHS!! 

Again, if I wanted to take a more 'alternative' route to Peri/Meno issues, there's a multitude of people out there waiting to snatch my money from my sweaty palm - and some!  But I think all I'd be interested in is looking into bioidential stuff.  And what I gather is whether I pay someone £150 for a consultation just to then buy 90 quids worth of bioidentical stuff, I may as well buy it myself - with some research - on the internet!!  Afterall, aren't we always being told this stuff is unlicenced in the UK? 

I'll stick to my £20 pot of Serenity for the time being: if it works, great, if not I'm £20 down, fatter, older,wiser and still in Peri!!!

You're right: nothing internal is great, but what's the alternative.

Oh, yeah, thanks for that. I think the procedure my sis had was also a colposcopy:  she's been fine every since, and singing the praises of her NHS-accessed HRT!!lol!!

Sx

• Posted

you poor thing.

i know theres no point telling you to calm down. you already know that.

remember thousands and millions of your sisters have had gyno proceedures.

you are making life more difficult for yourself.

i daresay you are getting an anesthetic as they realise this is best thing so you are relaxed or even asleep.

i've just had a uterine polyps removed under general anesthesia and was home in my own bed that night.

didnt even need painkillers.

if an anesthetic is what it takes to get their tests done, get your head around it.

its easy.

tell yourself you can do this.

deep breaths and all that.

i'm not the calm person that your conceiving from this message.

i 'd heard i was getting an epidural and told the anethstetist i had a disk problem so they gave me a general.

also they'd have to hogty me to have another colonoscopy(wide awake)

we all have our fears but you take one thing at a time.

this proceedure will be like a walk in the park.

dont dread the unknown.

it may be all ok and then you'll think why did i get so stressed.

• Posted

Hi, I can really relate to this.  Firstly, like you, I had 4 teeth out by gas, which has given me life long claustrophobia.   Then I lost my first baby and had to have a D&C, and it took ages for me to come round, so I was really concerned about anaesthetics. However, having had 3 hysteroscopys under GA, for much the same reason as you, ie being tense, I can assure you modern GA's are a doddle, really, truly no need to worry about that.  Secondly, as you might guess from all the procedures I've had I have a history of post menopausal bleeding, so far all have been ok, as most times they are.  On the subject of smears many years ago my GP kindly gave me a speculum to practice with on myself and armed with a tube of KY Jelly I managed to get to the point where I could have smears.  Once all this is behind you see if yours will do the same, or buy one, incidently there are different sizes of speculum so ask them to use as small a one as possible.  Good luck, and really, don't worry about the anesthetic.
    • Posted

Lovely advice helen.  I appreciate it too, as I would imagine a lot of other women reading this thread will.

(Sorry to hear about your said loss:  life can toss you a curved ball sometimes.  I hope you're life's been a happy one tho')

Sx

• Posted

Thanks for your kind words, I've since been blessed with two lovely boys, but I have never forgotten that first one.
  • Posted

Finally got back here after a busy few days. Also trying to shut out the worry for a bit and step back and look at it subjectively.

Reading the replies again, thank you all...couple of points though is that I don't even have time to rest up for a few hours after, never mind the ten days someone mentioned!!! I have to work and as we don't get sick pay, I can't afford time off work. I work in a care home and it's hard work...tend to get called in on my days off too often, also.

Never realised that there were smaller speculums! (speculi?!) I have added that to my copious notes to ask the gynae for if relevant! I wish my GP 30 years ago had suggested KY and a smaller speculum! Maybe I would have been able to have smears then. Nobody ever suggested what to do about my difficulty and at that age I wasn't forthcoming enough to push any points. (Unlike now! - when I am extremely forthcoming and they won't do anything to me that I don't allow them to, and I want to know everything they have any option to do before I choose my option!!) - they just told me to not worry and to try again next time I was called. This happened about 3 times then they gave up.

For all I know I could have a slow-growing cancer in me that's been there for 10 years or more but if that were the case, it's a bit late to worry about that now!

Update: this freaked me out also....I went to the GP on Thursday and on Saturday I had the letter for the appointment!!! Why so quick, when he had told me within 2 weeks? Do they think it's urgent? has he written something in his notes that he hasn't fully told me?? The NHS aren't normally that quick! If I had a breast lump, it would typically take me 2-4 weeks here to be seen!! Then the appointment was this Thursday. So soon! I am working in the morning and there's no way I can get time off before the end of this month. So I went online to change it and managed to lock myself out of the page by just nipping to my calendar to see when my next whole day off was. The letter, btw, told me absolutely nothing except the day and time of my appointment. The online booking page said I'd have to ring up to unlock my login. Which it said I couldn't do before Monday due to opening hours. So Monday I nipped into my GP surgery and the receptionist rang up for me and then their computer at the hospital was down! so they suggested a date (next Tuesday - I can only do Tuesdays) and said they will be ringing or writing with the new appontment. In the meantime, Monday's post had brought ANOTHER letter, this time whilst also confirming the appointment (the Thursday one) it said I would need to allow up to 4 hours for this appointment!! Which made it all the more imperative I have to go on a Tuesday as I can't get back in time for shift at work on any other day. Nothing about what they are going to do to me in those four hours!! Didn't say "don't eat or drink" so it can't be anything real bad this first time. However, if it were ONLY to have a chat with the gynae (which I assumed the first one would be) why would they say up to 4 hours?!So now I have to spend 4 hours of my precious only day off next week, sitting in the hospital picking up any bug and cold germs going around (and there are a lot in our area atm) and also fight my way into the city with petrol I don't have in the car, and because of dire parking problems also spend £1.90 I don't have, on park and ride. As I don't get paid until the 7th or so of next month, I kind of resent the fact that I will be using food money to get to the hospital for tests on something I probably don't need to have tested in the first place!!

Sorry nto rant. I don't know what I'm angry with...probably the fact that I am never ill and reject the possibility of any ill health at any time in my life. Unrealistic maybe, but that's how I was brought up. (Trying to remember that my mum, who brought me up this way, probably caused her own relatively early demise at 79 from breast cancer because she took so long to go to the doctor about the lump in her breast, refusing to admit that there was even the glimmer of possibility that it could be anything serious!!! Like mother like daughter...)

It will suit me fine if they can't get me an appointment until after the 7th but then I have a friend coming to stay from Finland for a few days on 14th and on 6th May I am on holiday for 10 days. I don't want to risk feeling sore and facing more tests before all that, but on the other hand nor do i want to sit back and wait until after 15th May to even talk to the gynae. I figure the reason why the GP freaked out, is that it was a month after the first signs of my period before I even saw him. So now is he maybe trying to make up for what he might perceive as lost time?

Anyway - will keep you posted.

Reading many of the threads here, it's stunning what so many of you have been going through with menopause and peri sad

I feel both fortunate and apprehensive. I have, like my mum told me of hers, "sailed through it" so far. Can my luck hold or is it now coming back to bite me on the butt with something far worse than any menopause/peri? sad

I had the night sweats (I think) at about 40-ish. Didn't bother me other than that I had to change my nightie at least once every night mid-night. It was actually quite nice because I didn't have any heating in my house and yet I could sleep without feeling cold, but quite the opposite! I figure I probably had fairly mild night sweats.

Haven't noticed any hot flushes. If there were any, I have mistaken them for something else. I have felt the heat since about late 30s but put that down to the fact I have also piled on weight. (Due to eating several choc bars and lots of bags of crisps EVERY day for several years when I was working in an office; it was out of sheer boredom!) Working indoors when the heating is on, or in summer, has caused me to sweat like a pig for years although this is now toning down a little bit compared with how it was. Never had any depression, anxiety, dryness (don't think I'd recognise dryness if I did suffer from it) or any other symptoms that could be related to peri or to menopause, or at least not that I can say isn't applicable to some other cause. Someone mentioned "nobbly finger" somewhere. I thought this might be the start of rheumatoid arthritis, and told the doctor so, but he said it doesn't affect only one joint. So maybe i have had the full spectrum of peri and meno symptoms but just had them so mildly I didn't realise what they were. And thus they have never bothered me.

Btw I too have a high pain threshhold. But it wasn't the pain of the smears but the anticipation of pain that made me tense up. Think there's something else going on there too and it's psychological. (Without going into details, it's kind of akin to a phobia but nobody has ever suggested anything I can do about that.)

As said - will keep you posted!

Actually, ranting has made me feel a bit better! more in control of my body! So thanks for listening, if you have got this far! x

• Posted

hi Marie 

please try and relax abit ..

your first appt will be a consultation hun, time for you to explain whats going on and time for them to either do a simple ultra sound scan to see whats going on.. ' all is painless and okay' 

Deep breath and relax ..... Stress is not good.

and your health comes first, ' shifts ' i am afraid if my employer didnt give me time off for a health appt then i would run for the hills..

( just shows how much they think of their staff) nada 

up to 4 hours will be worse case scenario, like A&E type of assumption 

things crop up and people moan, so they give a time scale thats ridiculas to cover all eventualities ( i use to work for NHS) then people arent moaning about it .

you will be fine sweetie 

jay x

• Posted

Blimey Marie, I couldn't keep up with you kid!!  Deep breaths mate....!

I'm sorry to say but I confess to reading some of your post with a slight grin:  it was almost like reading about ME!!!smile

I too have a high pain threshold; hate going to the Docs; was bought up to 'give it a rub, it'll be all right'-sorta thing.  And the truth is, I have never had a major issue - healthwise - to worry about in my life.

But I'm going to tell you something: We had a Business for 22 long years, where I was 'front of house' so to speak. During that time I felt that I couldn't really afford to be ill, so never was. I don't think I ever really put my health at risk, although I could have been a bit better at going for smears on time, changing my coil before it got 'lost' (don't ask!!), but by and large I've survived.

But I now know that I was a bloody martyr to that Business, and all that time I encouraged my employees to go get their health issued checked, but sorta just worked through my own.  I'm done with that now.

What I'm saying - from one Doctorphobe to another - is:  Go to that Hospital Appointment!!!  S*d work!  Believe you me, the place won't fall around their ears without you there, and maybe put your health first for once. I think you sound very stressed by the fact that you haven't any background info about your quick Referral. I agree with you: the NHS doesn't usually work that fast, but what I know is, that service is second to none when we need to access it as a matter of urgency!!

In his late 50s and mid-60s, my father-in-law had 2 major health emergencies, both of which could have killed him. But because of the fantastic emergency surgeries he had, he survived both and we had another 15 fantastic years with himsmileXXX

Today, we had to travel 35 miles for my husband to have a Pre-Assessment for a small procedure he has to have on Monday.  He had the raging horrors about all this, as his surgery was arranged within 10 days and he's panicking I suppose (bless him x). But this is a non-urgent issue, and from referral to surgery its only been a matter of a few months.

We sold our Business 18ths ago, and I finally got some 'Me' time.....to spend coping with my Peri and eventual Meno symptoms without an audience!!!  It took me 6mths to mentally recover from working 11hr days for 22yrs on full throttle to......running on empty!  Great, but as one of nature's 'workers', I got bored after a year and now can't wait for life's next challenge for me!

I'm sure you'll feel so much happier about things generally once you get this appointment out of the way.  Go armed with questions; take someone with you if you can or a pen and notepad to write things down as if you're anything like me it'll go in one ear and out the other! 

Whatever the outcome, you really need to believe that your Doctor has definitely had your best interests at heart, and has done a fine job of referring you. 

I agree with others who say you should relax, but if you're of that temperament I know how hard relaxing can be.  Just remember that you wil probably feel so much better about your issue once you have a bit more info. And you are going to have an opportunity to find out more about this very soon, and try to see that as a positive thing.

Chin Up Kidsmile

Sx

• Posted

Hi Marie you are obviously anxious and it's completely natural to be so, things that are 'rushed' can feel like that and procedures that you are not familiar with - the fear of the unknown.

I have had a few gynae examinations and hospital visits and was terrified before hand and would have done anything to avoid it, but the worry would have still been there, because once you notice something and it has been suggested an investigation is wise - that is the very best thing to do.

Try not to second guess what is going on or what might happen because you can't really control things - except how you feel moment to moment.  Asking a friend to come with you is a great idea and perhaps think things through about what might make you feel more in control.  Do you know where the appointment is, how to get there etc.  I tried to imagine the doctor was very friendly, helpful and that I could ask questions and tell them if I was uncomfortable - after rehearsing all this, it was easier to calm myself down and feel a bit more together.

Take care and good luck, you will feel so much better after you have this checked out x

• Posted

Like you it wasn't the pain of the smears, I think it was a sort of feeling of being violated.  After I'd practiced inserting the speculum at home for the first few smears I would ask the nurse if I could put it in myself.  They were generally quite happy, after all, it made their life easier than having to fight me lol.  I reckon using this mix of ploys you will have no probs in the future, just got to get by this blip first.  Good luck, don't worry too much about the speed of the appointment, you want to get on with things now.
    • Posted

Like you it wasn't the pain of the smears, I think it was a sort of feeling of being violated.  After I'd practiced inserting the speculum at home for the first few smears I would ask the nurse if I could put it in myself.  They were generally quite happy, after all, it made their life easier than having to fight me lol.  I reckon using this mix of ploys you will have no probs in the future, just got to get by this blip first.  Good luck, don't worry too much about the speed of the appointment, you want to get on with things now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.