vitamin d deficiency

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi i am 32 year old female. My gp is currently treating me for fobromyalgia and im waiting fir referral to rheumatology. During my recent blood tests i have been found to have low level of vitamin d. I have been prescibed 50 000 units once a week for 6 weeks. Can you tell me if this disage means my level of vitamin d is really low or nothing to worry about please

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Without you telling us the actual reading it is impossible to say how low it is. What you have been given is the standard UK approach for raising your vit D to the optimum level and it tends not to vary greatly for anyone whether they are low or very low. 

Low or very low vit D levels just mean your body won't function as well as it could and over a long period you could develop low bone density amongst other things and it increases the likelihood of various other conditions. It is easy to replenish - and that is what they are doing. My husband had an exceptionally low level (7) but had no apparent symptoms - until he'd been on his vit D course for some weeks when his blood pressure had fallen considerably.

Low vit D isn't something to WORRY about - it is something to put right.

• Posted

Forgot to say - it is perfectly possible the low vit D is what is causing your "fibromyalgia" symptoms - that would be a good thing as raising the vit D would eventually improve the muscle and joint pain it can cause, there isn't much that can be done to improve fibro pain unfortunately.

• Posted

That isn't desperately low at all but low enough to possibly cause symptoms in some people and it is below the recommended range these days. However, low vit D is also often found in many autoimmune illnesses - so if you have any symptoms that don't go when your vit D is up to an optimum level your GP is quite right to refer you to rheumatology who will do their best to make sure there is nothing else going on. 

• Posted

Did your doctor not tell you what level your vitamin was phone your gp and ask,. My doctor thought I was maybe suffering fro  fibromylarga as well but once my vitamin levels went up to normal all the pain and tiredness iwas suffering went away. It does sound as though your levels are really low as the dosage of vitamin d is high that your gp has put you on, don't worry though once your levels go back to normal you will be fine it does take time, One other thing is it vitamin d or vitamin d3 you are on it should be vitamin d3 hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.