Vitamin d deficiency or something worse?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

So around 8 weeks ago I woke up one day and was extremely dizzy all day. This has never happened before since then so was a bit concerning. After 3 days of dizziness I went to doctors and was told it was an inner ear infection. Anyways from that I've since had gradual tingling in the tips of my fingers, then my hand would go completely numb ( this only happened when I had been asleep) the pain in my hand was awful and I struggled to move or use it properly. As the weeks went on I started getting back ache, awful like dull shooting pains in my thighs and knees, my shoulders and neck hurt at times. I have tension heacaches, and my shins hurt also. My arms go very weak at times to. But as the weeks have gone on my symptoms come and go like my hand doesn't hurt anymore, my knees don't either. My thigh pain comes and goes, and now it's affecting my upper arms the most. My skin also goes really hot. And I also feel like my bones go cold it's a really weird feeling and it sticks around for a while. And lately I've been waking up to swollen gums, my that bleed even if touched. I'm really scared and I think the worse things constantly. My dizziness is still present but not as bad but comes and goes. I also have symptoms like itching skin, ear popping, dry eyes. But it seems to change daily it's really strange. Does anyone else experience this and could it be vitamin d Deficiency or would I not get my symptoms from know where like I did with this? I feel like I'm going insane. I'm 25 year old female, some of the women in my family have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, and my pain is uncomfortable at times it was quiet paralysing. But it's not chronic. So it couldn't be that could it.

2 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi jess13508

I had the exact same symptoms. Doctors didnt find anything wrong wirh me. I had gerd and was animic. I was also vitamin D deficient. I was never tested fof b12. I was getting worse and worse. Doctors gave up. Three neurologists tested me for spinal cord injury. Nothing. One of them mentioned it could be ms but then retracted. I googled my symptoms and found lots of information about b12 deficiency and how it helps regulate all the neurons. From temperature to mood to motor and sensations were affected by lack of b12 that was the result of taking omeprazol regularly for gerd symptoms and eating poorly and mistly vegeterisn. My b12 level was 200 after I had already had shots. I was given shots almost dayly for amonth and then 1 evey week for six months and then once a month. I now take 2500mcg a day as per my neurologist. Hope you get tested and find out what is it. Gerd ( acid reflux) also causes pain all over the body even if its silent. Get better.

• Posted

Hi

Thank you for your reply, I have even thought that it could be GERD to be honest. And a few weeks ago I was really struggling with acid reflux really randomly aswell. After every single thing I ate which never happens. Yes I keep thinking it is MS and I'm driving myself mad. I get my blood results back today, and I'm really hoping they find something just so I can stop wondering what it is. Did they ever go down the ms route with you? Like MRI? Or lumber puncture? If I have no look I will mention GERD to my doctor. ??

• Posted

No lumber puncture. But yes several mris. Pain in my arms knees and feet chest pains, shoulder blades, elbows, anckles, neck, sternon, asthma (that i never had before), food allergies, pins and needles in my hands and feet. My tong felt swollen and my eyes felt weird. I sweat a lot and was fatigued. I found out it was my stomach. It was gerd affecting the nerve vague and causind havoc. I took a year of omeprazol and got b12 deficient and things were bad. I couldnt walk and coudnt seat without pain. I went through all testing for ms and they discarded it. They thought it was fibro but when we found out how low my b12 was i started to get better and got b12 shots. However, i still suffer from reflux and when it is bad, specially when I try to go without omeprazol or ranitidine, I get pains again. Even throat pain. It got worse when given iron and motrin. These erode your stomach. After an endoscopy they found tha I have H Pilory. Which causes gastritis, flatulence and ulcers and rarely cancer. And prevents absorption of b12. So I suplement with b12 and vD. Get tested for B12 too. The stomach is very important. Check your reflux and your b12. Good luck!!
    • Posted

I will for some reason I've phoned the doctors for the past two days and still no results have come back. It's been a week now aswell.

• Posted

Maybe tomorrow - my surgery suggests a week to wait before results are available.
  • Posted

hi jess13508,

i have somewhat similar symptoms for the past 2 years.

Read https://patient.info/forums/discuss/dizziness-imbalance-now-tremors--523423

A week ago, I woke up with a bad bout of vertigo and was hospitalized.

Found I was vit D deficient (9ng/ml) and put on D2 and D3 supplements.

• Posted

Yeah my dizziness was really bad one week but I just kept brushing it off, it still comes and goes and it's truly awful. I'm still waiting on my results for my vitamin D.

• Posted

By any chance did you ever get like your muscles have a small spasms and move like mad( no pain ) and then go really hot?
    • Posted

Yes, I get painless muscle twitches, but without any hotness.
    • Posted

Yes. I got twitches too. It was B12 deficiency and vit d deficiency. Check your b12 as well. Very important.
    • Posted

Did yours ever go hot. I think that's one of the blood results I'm waiting on. There still not back but this time the doctor left a note with the receptionist for me to come in for an ECG. It's all very confusing

• Posted

Yes. I do remember sweating a lot. It happened to me when the b12 deficiency was bad (I think it regulates the temperature) and for some reason it happens now together with an uncontrolled stomach pain provoqued by gerd or IBS.
    • Posted

I get burning feet and legs at night in the run up to my next B12 injection but then I've had P.A. for 45 years

• Posted

I've got ibs, had it for years but I've noticed these last few weeks I have awful pains in my stomach sometimes they are crippling. Hopefully I'll find out what is wrong soon.

• Posted

Yes. Everything is interconnected. Having ibs prevents u to have good vitamin absorption. Then u get anemic by not eating well. Having gerd makes everything worse. Maybe u have a big ibs flare. Ibs and gerd and vit deficiencies are interrelated. They present similar symptoms. What I do is supplenent my vitamins. I get tested for tvit and iron folate ferritine calcium and everything i can. I try to follow the fodmaps guidelines for friendly and unfriendly foods gor ibs. When i stray i go back to zero and get horrible cramps etc etc. Together with more gerd, and have to take ppis like omeprazol or other acid inhibitors like ranitidine and these medicines are slso factors for more vit deficiencies. Follow your doctors recommendations for vit d and b12 supplementation after u get your results. And see a nutriologist so that she makes a nice fodmaps ibs friendly foods.
    • Posted

Hi sorry to keep bothering you, just I still have not received my blood results! So I'm panicking. With your vit d deficiency did you find your aches and pains went and came back over the days, sometimes I'm worse one day then a lot better the next and so on. Like I suffered with numbing hands and tingling and my finger was so painful I could hardly move it but now that's all gone. And asthe weeks go on some symptoms go and some appear. Is this normal for vitamin d deficiency?

• Posted

Yes, it comes and goes in my legs. The overall weakness and wobbliness is constantly there, but the cramps and muscle tightness vary day to day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.