Vitamin D deficient. Headaches and hairloss?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been suffering with really bad pains in my fingers and wrists.  A blood test shows I am very deficient in vitamin d.   My levels are 15.  My dr has prescribed HuxD3 at 20000iu,   2 tablets a day for a week.  The one a day at 1000iu.

I have also been having severe headaches which I didn't associate with vitamin d deficiency.   I was beginning to worry I had a brain tumour.  But my GP says it's down to the vitamin d problem.  Has anyone else suffered migraine type headaches?  And how long did it take to stop?   And I've also been suffering with hair loss.   Has anyone else had hair loss? Thankyou for any help.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

It may be vit D deficiency - but the vit D deficiency may be a sign you have something else as low vit D is commonly found in autoimmune disorders. If things don't improve once your vit D level is better push for more investigations. However, it may take a couple of months or more before you feel better.

Do make sure he checks the blood level after the supplements are finished - that is a very strange way of going about it and more usual is something like 3 x 20,000 IU a week, either together or on 3 different days, for about 8 weeks. It is felt that spreading the same total dose over a bit longer period of time works better as the body is better able to absorb it. 

• Posted

My vitamin levels were at 13 and my warning sign symptoms prior to being diagnosed with vitamin d deficiency were hair loss, ridged finger and toe nails. As symptoms progressed headaches, migraines, headpressure, neck pain.

Then eventually the joint and bone pain. Yes the wrists, elbow, and knee. It comes and goes. Some days worser than other days.

My headaches and migraines got better after taking magnesium otherwise my doctors were pushing migraine meds at me and ibuprofen, which did not help.

The hair loss gets better within 4-5 months as your levels get in normal range. Hang in there.

Hope you start feeling better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.