Vulval Eczema not getting better

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Vulvodynia last year but have gradually got better and managed to come off my medication. About 7 months ago i started to have a lot itching that was very different from my Vulvodynia pain. I was sent around the houses with gynaecologists who couldn't figure out what was causing the itching as I had no sign of infection. I was finally diagnosed with Vulval Eczema and LSC. I have been treated with Dermovate for a month and then Eumovate but the itching came back. I then tried protopic for two weeks and it caused so much more itching that i stopped. I have been back on Dermovate for the last three days but I seem to still be having a flare up. 

I am so worried that this will not get any better? Does Dermovate take a while to kick in? I only seem to read about people suffering for years. At the moment I can't sleep and I am so hoping that someone can tell me this will improve. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Solanine sensitivity causes horrific itching of the mucosal membranes in sensitive individuals, I have personal experience over ten years.  But my symptoms were completely cured when I simply cut potato, tomato, chili and bell peppers from my diet.  These are all common foods, but unfortunately if you are sensitive to solanine, they will cause the problems you seem to be experiencing.  I also did the rounds of doctors and gynos for years with no relief until I stumbled on the eventual cause.   Just be careful to cut it all out - tomato and potato in particular seem to be added to just about everything we eat in the form of sauces and flavouring.  I only get a recurrence of the itch now if I accidentally eat something that has those foods added.  You might also try taking an antihistamine when the itching starts - that helps me if I have a solanine flare-up.  

Good luck!

Minamii

• Posted

Hi Minamii,

Thank you for your reply. Sadly I do not think it is food related. The condition does not affect the mucosal layers. It is the hair bearing skin. Chanding my diet (gluten free, dairy free etc) has not made any difference. I have been taking antihistamines regularly skin January to dull (not take away as I'm aware that eczema does not fully respond to this) the itch. Thank you anyway. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.