waiting for a hysterectomy.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm on the waiting list to have a full hysterectomy hopefully in the next 4 months . At the moment the problems I'm having a ruling my life. I'm on long term sick from work can't plan anything as I don't know how I will feel. Did anyone else feel like this before their operation.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Michelle

I know exactly how you feel, I had my op on the 15th of this month, but I've been off since November last year.  I'm not sure what problems your having, but I had terrible depression before my op, a lot of people get it after but mine came before.  I had terrible period pain almost ALL the time and I had already been sterilised with ablation last Feb which didnt work.  I was still bleeding every day and what to wear as much as how much I could do was a severe problem.  I am totally glad I have had the operation now, I know its a long process of recovery ahead but I dont have any regrets.  I think the feelings your getting are completely normal and believe me when I say you are not alone in feeling this, all the ladies on hear have all had different problems and are very understanding. 

I really hope you start to feel that there is light at the end of the tunnel and please remember most of all YOU ARE DEFINATELY NOT ON YOUR OWN :-)

Tina xxx

• Posted

Hi Tina it's so nice to know that I'm not on my own and there is someone out there that understands . I'm bleeding all the time and have allot of pain I had an investigation about 6 months ago and had the marina coil fitted.there was nothing serious like cancer and that was good to hear but unfortunately the problems haven't got better. I'm on strong painkillers they do help but cause drowsiness and also tablets to stop the bleeding but they don't work at the moment.I'm so glad to hear you have had the operation and your on the road to recovery and I hope you get well soon

Thank you again

Michelle.

• Posted

Michelle

I know the bleeding is absolutely horrible, but the constant pain must be unbearable.  I think that was the nail on the head for me in terms of the operation, the thought of not being in pain...........I honestly wont know how that feels, and I'm sure you must be the same.

I know this is a very scary and daunting time but if it helps try and focus on that part,,,,,,,,imagine yourself pain free.................I hope the time goes quick for you. 

Tina x

• Posted

Have you tried cyklokapron to help control bleeding till op...? Also any herbal remedies to lift your mood a bit...? Local health shop can be great at advising on this... Also maybe look into iron levels if you have heavy bleeding (blood test) - Vit C plus iron supplements or iron infusion before op can most certainly help pick you up and help energy levels....
  • Posted

Also I had to have a Decapeptyl injections to put me into temp menopause before my op and it stopped my periods completely so I'd no more bleeding before op... May not be an option but worth asking if it will help...
  • Posted

Hi Michelle, I had TAH in end of October and I went for surgery straight from a night shift and I was back to work after six weeks. I accepted the reality that I will never have children of my own so I had to start living instead of getting depressed. I have no pain at all, and the best part of it, sex feels so good than before operation. Just enjoy every moment you get when you don't feel pain, and you don't have to worry about it . Everything will go well and by July you will be fine to enjoy the rest of summer. Try also to do some exercise before operation at least go for a walk once a day it helps to recover quickly as it did to me.Remember also to rest.
    • Posted

Thank you for your advice it's so nice to know I'm not on my own and there are people out there that can help .

Thank you.

Michelle.

• Posted

Hi michelle

i am exactly the same as you.  I have been off work since June last year with the most excruciating pain and constant periods. Emotionally and physically it has really got me down. I had the marina coil fitted over a year ago and that made no difference to me and since I have just been back and forth to the GP. The crunch come for me at Christmas when my abdomen swelled to 47 inches!!! It was very painful and rock hard. Initially I thought I was totally alien but knew that this was not constipation as one GP had told me. The pain in my pelvis back legs and abdomin became so bad that 2 weeks ago I was admitted to hospital. They advised that all the symptoms are to do with my very large fibroid.  Thankfully I had my pre op on Tuesday and I'm booked in for my total hysterectomy on 5th Feb. I too am so anxious Michelle and my emotions are all over the place but I know I have no option than to have it done.  Like you I cannot plan anything and to be honest don't want to go out anywhere it's just been a nite are for far too long.  I'm so lucky to find this forum tho as the support is great here.

hang on in there snd I'm sending you lots of love 

Shelley xxx

• Posted

Hi shelley it's nice to know I'm not on my own and I'm so glad I joined this group. I hope all goes well with operation and I wish you a speedy recovery .

All the best and thank you .

Michelle. Xxx

• Posted

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for sharing. I just chanced upon this chat today. I can relate to how you're feeling coz I'm also awaiting my hysterectomy in May (hopefully sooner or no postponement). I'm at stage 4 endometriosis. I've just had my decapeptyl injection 2 weeks ago coz my symptoms were worsening. Some days, I feel like hanging up the white flag coz of the constant pain and the common side effects as well. Today, I tried to get in touch with the gynae at the hospital as I was in excruciating pain and bleeding more than yesterday. Waiting for her to ring me back as I got the voice mail. Meanwhile, I just take each day as it comes...With you in thoughts...take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.