waiting game

Posted , 6 users are following.

i would just like to say, i notice everyone mentions the slow, waiting game process of prozac to kick in------to be fair, ANY and ALL antidepressants are the same way!--take many weeks to get full benefit

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

• Posted

Yes i am on week 12 and still waiting... I know it takes awhile tho, i've done it before! It's worth the wait!
  • Posted

I know it takes a while to kick in but does it take as long when you increase the dose to notice an improvement?
    • Posted

Hi, I increased my dose from 20-40 about 5 weeks ago now and I'm still very much up and down.

It seems to be a very slow process still but reading people's posts on here seems to help and have faith in the meds.

I'm hoping for it to level out soon. How are u doing?x

• Posted

Hi Helen. I'm 9 months pregnant and die anytime. I've been on 5 mg the whole time. I have had days up and down but the last three my anxiety has been threw the roof and I've been scared to death of labor worrying about worsening depression/anxiety. I plan to up to 10 mg as soon as I have the baby but am still scared rolleyes
    • Posted

I just had my son in October and I increased my dose from 20 to 40. Its been about 4 weeks and feel better but still waiting. ... When I started 10 didn't do anything.
    • Posted

I think I talk to you before. I also increased my dose the same to 40 and right after u. I feel a little better but not 100% different.
    • Posted

Did you take it during your whole pregnancy? I have and still had some ups and downs my depression is pretty severe. I am now about to deliver and I'm scared to death to get worse with ppd. It seems my anxiety/depression has been really bad the last few days and insomia.
    • Posted

This same fear is what is keeping me from trying to have a second child. I would love to have another baby but I'm terrified of the post partum anxiety again. 😔
    • Posted

I ended up on Prozac because I had two miscarriages sad This pregnancy wasn't planned I had a miscarriage in Aug then hit severe depression in Dec (I also had two deaths in the family). I was on birth control and was changing brands because Yaz made my depression worse. Anyways March I found out I was pregnant. I couldn't stop Prozac so I have stayed at 5 mg the entire time to help the anxiety but still been having up and down days of depression. I'm now due anytime and my anxiety is through the roof and depression worrying me. I'm scared to go back to the way I was last Christmas (sucidal thoughts, intrusive thoughts) worse experience of my life. I would never want to do that and I never thought I'd get better. My high risk dr told me to bump my Prozac up to 10 so I'm hoping to prevent hitting bottom again. I have a daughter that's 6 and a new little girl I'm

so excited for but scared for her to come out, sadly sad

• Posted

I'm very sorry for your losses. 😔 I too suffered a miscarriage a month before conceiving my son. Needless to say I was terrified of losing him my entire pregnancy. I had been on lexapro and Wellbutrin before pregnancy and continued taking them during pregnancy because my anxiety and OCD were so bad. Then after he was born I was hit very hard with post partum anxiety and OCD. I was scared to be alone with my son for the first 6 months because (I have harm OCD) I was terrified Id hurt my son. The intrusive thoughts were horrible. He just turned one and we finally decided I needed to try a new SSRI because lexapro wasn't working anymore. What's helped me the most has been seeing my therapist once a week. Did you suffer post partum depression after your first child?
    • Posted

I didn't suffer depression after her. I didn't get the intrusive thoughts till after my miscarriage at 5 months. It completely went away on flu the first time then a year and half later I had a miscarriage at 8 weeks. I started taking Paxil which helped but caused bad dreams so I went back to flu but it hasn't helped as well this time. Did you up your meds when you got the postpartum after your son was born? Or did you switch meds then. I'm so scared to get worse.
    • Posted

Do you take flu for depression, OCD, anxiety? Could you tell a difference after you had the baby with your mood?
    • Posted

I did go up on meds after he was born. He was my first baby though so my doctor felt that my body's hormones shifted after pregnancy and caused the meds not to work as well. I truly hope it works for me because I hate the thought of having to start all over with another new med.
    • Posted

Did you have depression and intrusive thoughts prior to postpartum?
    • Posted

Iv never had depression. I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder and OCD when I was 10 and have been on medication ever sense. It got worse following my sons birth because of the hormones. Next time I'm going to look into placental encapsulation. It's supposed to help with post partum mood disorder.
    • Posted

hi jenna-i am most curious as to what your symptoms of OCD were at the young age of 10?  ty
    • Posted

Yes I toke flu 20 mg my entire pregnancy and I take it for anxiety and ocd n little bit of depression. My doctor said they pretty much come hand in hand.... Is this your first child? How long have you been on flu? How much do you take? After I had my son Oct 1, I felt better but then I started to feel very overwhelmed and totally sleep deprived.... I have no help or family where I live right now. That plays a big part. Do you have a support system?
    • Posted

Yes and the Prozac helped! When is your baby due, don't physic your self out thinking that's going to happened to u before it does, I kinda did that and it only make s your symptoms worse.
    • Posted

Okay I just re read all this. Your only on 5 mg! That's nothing!!! Y? 10 did nothing for me and usually doesn't fit anyone... You didn't have it with you first... Y are you getting so scared with your second? Was your first at a better time in ur life? I did have scary thoughts and crying, your hormones are just so out of control.... Hope ur doing okay!
    • Posted

When I had my daughter 6 years ago I never had depression/anxiety. I didn't develop the OCD intrusive thoughts till after my first miscarriage and I only took 10 mg Prozac for 3 months and was cured. I then had another miscarriage and 2 deaths in my family then 4 months later anxiety/depression/OCD hit hard. We weren't planning on trying anymore and I was on birth control and ended up pregnant. I never recovered prior to and had just started out on the Prozac when I found out. I'm really sensitive to meds so I just stuck with the 5 mg. I am a lot better than I was but would occ still have bad day and thoughts. Now I'm due any day and my anxiety is through the roof worrying about ppd or psychosis or something crazy. I increased my dose to 10 and I'm praying for the best.
    • Posted

I'm very surprised that low of dose helps. I defiantly feel for you. People don't realize how we feel.... Do you exercise? That helps me if I can catch it before I get really low.... How r u feeling now w the 10?
    • Posted

You have to remember these thoughts are just thoughts and part of our problem.... They don't mean anything, does not mean your going to do anything. Have you read about ocd online? Or Google how to over come intrusive thoughts..... Good info online. Really helps
    • Posted

I have read about it and I guess my anxiety just kicks in. I have read a lot of ppl experience it but I just feel awful. I have an appt with a counselor on the 23th. It's only been two days since I upped the dose but I feel a little groggy in the mornings. My anxiety has been a little better. I've had insomnia the past week. I guess just anxiously waiting to go in labor. I'm trying to not worry about the postpartum but it's hard.
    • Posted

I do exercise I love yoga and running but haven't done it in quite a while because I was having contractions but I can't wait to get back to it after the baby.
    • Posted

Oh yes good! Just keep taking your meds and the counsler will be good! Do you have a support system where your at? That helps also! Remember your hormones are not helping the situation either, I promise you that. My son is 6 weeks and I'm just now starting to feel a little less crazy! Idk if the meds r helping or what !
    • Posted

Yes because right before my period my depression would get worse. That's why I was worried about it effecting me afterwards when the hormones fall but I do have a good support system so hopefully everything will be okay.
    • Posted

Hi Rosie,

At 10 I was obsessed that I would get sick while my parents weren't around. I would constantly check with them asking "am I going to get sick?" Multiple times a day. I also refused to sleep in my own room until I was 13 and would not go on field trips, sleepovers, or friends houses.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.