Waiting list for surgery.

Posted , 8 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I landed up in A&E at UHW, Cardiff on February 14th with excrutiating pain in my side and was diagnosed with gallstones on February 15th after a scan revealed lots of them in my gallbladder. I had my pre-op assessment on March 1st and I'm still waiting for my operation. I contacted my doctor's surgery and was told there was a 36 week waiting list and I probably wouldn't hear anything until after August 17th. It seems a bit pointless to have a pre-op and have to wait this long for the actual surgery in my opinion. So far I haven't had any bad attacks since the first one, a couple of times I thought I was going to end up in hospital again but it didnt happen. I would like to get it done though. Fed up of being on the low fat diet! Thanks for listeningconfused

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hope you get your date soon- in the uk I was told they had 18 weeks from diagnosis to surgery date as a target. However I was lucky and my surgeon when I saw him wanted to operate immediately - I needed a little more time but walked out with a mutually agreed surgery date 8wks after my consultant appt. I've found this forum great for advice and support - keep us all posted

• Posted

Hi, sorry that you're going through a bad time with the dreaded gallstones.  I was told by my hospital that the waiting time would be no more than 18 weeks (that was there target and they certainly wanted to meet it).  When i had my pre-op assessment i was told that it was valid for only 3 months, ie. if you hadn't had the op within that time you would need to have another one done so perhaps this is something you should check with your hospital.  36 weeks sounds incredibly long. Do you have another hospital that you can try.. perhaps just outside your area? In respect of the attacks of pain, i found that two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a little warm water was the most helpful thing. Also, make sure you drink plenty of water.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Sorry, i re-read your message and realised that you've already been waiting since Feb so not much point in finding another hospital now.

• Posted

Hello patsy sorry you're not having a good time. I was in the Royal Glamorgan at Christmas and again in the new year and I am still waiting to have my gall bladder removed . Things don't move very quickly do they ? . I find cider Apple vinegar in water  helps  give it a try and I hope you hear something doom xx

• Posted

Hi Maxdex,

Yep going very slowly. I'm starting to think they've forgotten lol! If I haven't heard anything by the week after the 17th I'll be getting in touch with the doctor again. Thanks for your reply. Hope you get your op soonwink

• Posted

Patsy do you know the name of the Doc who is going to do your op ? Mine is Dr Shah and I believe he operates in theUHW as well as RG x

• Posted

Hi Maxdex, No, I have no information about the surgeon. I was given leaflets describing the surgery and one with my hospital number but no info on which hospital or the consultant. They just told me to check the letter when I get it to make sure I go to the right hospital and they couldnt say how long the waiting list was. 
  • Posted

I live in south wales and i have had gallstones since january and got to wait december to have it out im in constant pain every day. I take tramadol paracetamol every day and i have lost nearly 4 and half stone and i got 4 young kids to look after its not an easy ride let me tell u and hope u dont have to wait as long as i have xx
    • Posted

I'm sorry you're going through that Tasha. I'm not as bad as that. I just feel uncomfortable a lot of the time but not enough to take painkillers really. I get discomfort in my back mostly between my shoulder blades and sometimes in my side so I'm not too worried about the wait. It's just annoying having to wait so long for any operation and when you have young children its hard to cope with. I hope things improve for you soon.  

• Posted

I just re-read what I wrote and it sounds like I have young children lol. I meant its hard for you having young children.  My kids are both grown up so its not an issue with me! wink

• Posted

Lol i understood what u meant its a nightmare going through all this pain and having to try to cope looking after 4 young 1s its hard work but i got to out on a brave face so they cant see theres any thing wrong x
  • Posted

My gallstones were found 2012 nothing was said about removing them jan this year got an infection caused by gallstones but had to wait for gallbladder to calm back down had to go on a low fat / dairy free diet went from 15st 12 down to 13st 10 had a pre op done 19th feb this year was told between 2-6 weeks I finally got another pre op 15th july & op the 22nd july i'm able to move about but the gas the fill you will is uncomfortable had anything mint to ease the wind had to get some lactulose & senna off the dr as aint been loo for 5 days the hosp I had it done at I wouldnt recommend it as no soon as I had come out of surgery not even fully conscious they were trying to get me to drink tea get dressed to go there was another women there my partner said they offered her 2 pkt of sandwiches would have rather gone the QE or Solihull hosp not Heartlands it was like an assembly line in changed theatre op then out the cuts are healing but a bit bruised feel like i'm carrying a heavy weight by my belly button took dressings off after 3days drinking peppermint tea to try get rid of gas good luck with your op make sure you have ready meals in or make sure some one makes you healthy meals as you may not feel up to leaving the house for a few days i'm trying to be mobile but its not so much the cuts on the outside healing its the internal ones xx

• Posted

Hi wendy. Thanks for your advice. I've read lots of letters from people who seem to take different lengths of time to recover from the operation. Its a bit worrying when you're not sure what's happening. It does sound like an assembly line doesnt it? I'm just trying to stick to the low fat diet but sometimes its hard not to eat stuff like doughnuts and pork pies which I love lol. If I thought that would work long term I would think twice about having the op. I hope you feel better soon.wink

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up