Waiting time on NHS??

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi..to cut a long story short, it was agreed by a surgeon that if gallstones showed up on the scan then they would take my Gallbladder out after numerous amounts of ''attacks''.

my questions is, how long did every body wait to have the surgery on the NHS? I've already been diagnosed with the condition, so its to late to go private as its seen as a pre-exsisting condition, so I have to go on the NHS.

A rough idea of how long i need to wait to really help.

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

3 months, but, you need to get a letter telling you you are on the waiting list, if you havent got the letter you arent on the list :? Ask your GP to chase it up / write to the surgeon, you should then be examined in out patients after which the surgeon will decide and send the magic letter saying nay or yay smile
  • Posted

Just come out of hospital, having a nasty attack - they told me they normally wait 6 weeks after a flare up, but sometimes will do it sooner, so I am seeing the consultant in two weeks time hopefully have it out a couple of weeks after that.

I'm not sure whether this is just because I was an inpatient - I did think it was remarkbly quick, as I have another condition that needs surgery and the wait is always over 6 months!

• Posted

depends on your individual circumstances. i had to wait about 5 months due to cronic that had to settle down and they tried 3 time to remove the blockage (3rd time lucky) all this was to avoid an open op - still had to convert though due to complications. it also depends on the waiting times in your local trust . i hope you dont have to wait too long.
  • Posted

From the attack that landed me in A&E and got the gallstones diagnosed:

7 weeks to outpatients appointment; told it would be 4-6 weeks till op but in fact 10 weeks - though now been told that if my GB is infected I will wait an additional 6 weeks. So from A&E it will be 17 or 23 weeks [4-6 months]

• Posted

I saw the consultant at out patients yesterday and was told there is currently a wait list of 10 - 12 weeks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.