Waiting times

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi All,

I was finally diagnosed with FMS about 2 months ago by my GP. She said she was referring me to a rheumatologist as they would be able to help me more than she can. I still haven't heard anything sad. I'm in Herts and was just wondering how long you all had to wait for your 1st appointment?

Hope you're all having a good day confused

3 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thanks everyone!! I think I need to lower my expectations then 😐 just so I don't get frustrated at the poor doctor when I finally do get to see them
    • Posted

yes i think thats proberly best then if he does come up with something helpful its a plus . but if he hasnt got much to offer then its not so devastating . best way to think .
  • Posted

Hi Daisy, I'm in herts too and I had to wait ages I think I waited over 12 weeks and my appointment was cancelled twice :-( so I went private, best decision ever well worth the £230! Have seen nhs rheumy once so far at the end of jan and have another appt at he end of this month.

Having said that I have some bowel issues saw the consultant at the beginning of the month, he gave me some med's and he said he wanted to see me in 8 weeks time... I went to the check out desk to book and the next available appt end of July! An 18 week wait... Crazy!

But hopefully you won't wait that long! Best of luck xx

• Posted

Hello Angel, just interested to know who you saw privately. I'm in Herts and wasn't v happy with whom I saw privately. I'm seeing the NHS rheumy on Thursday so will see how he is. I've heard some are so much better than others with treatment of FM x
    • Posted

Hi Julie, I did some research and went to see Dr Toby Garrood, he has opened the fibro clinic in guy's and st Thomas's in London, he was great and also sent my gp a letter requesting that he refer me too his clinic and has also booked me in for a spinal mri too, it really helped get my gp on board! Best of luck Hun x
    • Posted

Hi Julie, Forgot to say the fibro clinic takes referrals from all over uk, but initially my gp refused to refer me out of area. I think due to budgets and the like. But once the letter came through don't think he had much choice!! It's for to be worth a try! X
    • Posted

Thanks Angel, that's really really helpful. I m going to certainly look into this. I will see how Thursday pans out first. Thanks again xxx
  • Posted

Hi Daisydo70

It takes upto six weeks but I suppose it depends on where you live and how long the waiting lists are?

Hang in there !lol

• Posted

Hi Bee, you must have been very lucky wherever you are. It's been almost 8 weeks and I've heard nothing. I'm in Herts but after earlier comments I am now not expecting much from the appointment anyway.

X

• Posted

Hi Daisydo70, Yeah I was kind of shocked after visiting my GP within two weeks I received my referrral to see my rheumatolgist and the appointment was only six weeks later. I am in Middlesex.

• Posted

Was your Rheumatologist helpful Bee? Some people think they are a waste of time whereas others think they're great 😐 x
    • Posted

Hiya Daisydo, I've been reading many posts that say they weren't very helpful..I guess it must be the individual doctor..I'm in Australia and my Rhumo couldn't be  better...hope yours is too..have a lovely day..be blessed..:-) xxxx
    • Posted

Hello Daisy,

Just weighing in with my two pennorth. Actually my experience is much the same as many on here. Rheumy appt took a while, basically talked about my symptoms and just agreed with what my Doc said. He also agreed with meds my doc had put me on, namely Amitriptylene. Never theless I wasn't disappointed, as I had come to the conclusion there are no magic meds. Whatever you are on you will continue to suffer the pain and fatigue to some degree. Tests only eliminate other things, and I had 2 years of them. I think this is a familiar story for many. Of course you might have other conditions which go hand-in-hand with Fibro, and these might be treatable. Please don't take this as a negative post as there are many things that can be done to be able to lead as good a life as you can.

Take care, Anne

• Posted

Over the last 15 months I've had every test going I think, endless blood tests, X-rays, scans, cardiologist for the palpitations, physiotherapy etc and tried so many different meds (even HRT just in case it was my early menopause causing it). Nothing seems to help. I'm on 20mg of amitripyline now but it's not really doing much except help me drop off to sleep about 4 hours after I take it but I don't stay asleep long before the pain wakes me. Gabapentin made me feel drunk all the time, co-Codamol no longer even take the edge off, I can't take anti-inflammatories as I have a Hiatus Hernia and Reflux so I have been pinning all my hopes on the Rheumatologist. I'm a little worried now but I refuse to let FMS beat me, I will find a way.

Thankyou for taking the time to reply 😊 xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.