waiting times

Posted , 5 users are following.

has anyone else waited along time for gallbladder removal?  i was first diagnosed with gallstones in march 2015, they said that i need surgery then, and that if i have any pain, to return to a&e, i have been to a&e many times, just to be sent home again, i have heard nothing about surgery and assumed i was already on a waiting list, then i went to see my gp last year to ask if i could be transferred to a different hospital, only then did she mention that i needed to be referred, and wasnt already on a waiiting list, i finally went to see a consultant in december, who agreed to put me on waiting list, i had my pre op just after that, but havent heard anything about op still, so rang consultants secretary who said that i will probably be waiting for 12 months and it is taking so long as they have had a lot of emergencies, but at least i know now, its just getting ridiculous, the secretary did say if i get any new symptoms to go and see gp, or if pain gets really bad to go to a&e, but i cant imagine the pain getting any worse. sorry the post is so long, just feel really angry, and sick of feeling tired and being in pain and ill.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Amanda. sorry your so poorly and getting nothing resolved. I was lucky and had my op 3 weeks after my pre-op, the whole thing from referral to op has only taken 3 months, I first seen consultant just before Christmas. I'm assuming it depends on what part of the country you live in and what waiting times each area has. Where are you? If it gets unbearable go straight to A&E again. I'd be phoning your consultant secretary on a weekly basis for cancellations as well. Good luck hun, I know there's nothing worse than GB pain... take care xxx

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, I'm in Manchester, at least I know I can go to a&e and they usually do a blood test to make sure everything is OK, glad you didn't have to wait too long, I think most people are treated quickly. How do you feel now you have had your gallbladder removed?

• Posted

Im only in Liverpool hun, surprised there is such a difference in waiting lists. I feel a lot better than I did thanks, just normal recovery from surgery is what will take time, and for my digestive system to settle down again. I keep getting odd pains here & there but nothing too bad. The first 2-3 says we're the worst, but that was expected - soreness from incisions and residue C02 gas lurking round the body which is quite painful (they use this to inflate your tum to do the surgery). Im a side sleeper but have only just managed to have a nights sleep on my side... it was bliss - I've been sleeping on my back as couldn't turn in bed or rest on incision sites. My diet has been little and often and I'm getting fuller quicker, I've lost 6lb since my surgery a week ago... which is a good thing! lol... I've mainly been eating wholemeal toast, scrambled egg, ham salad, and I've had a couple of WW meals as well as they're low in fat. Trial and error I think for the future - I only had one episode of diarrhea on day 2 and I've been normalish since then. All in all considering its only a week today since my operation I feel ok, glad I had it done and hope that each day that passes will make me stronger happier & healthier. Good luck, hope you get sorted soon, keep posting on here and let us know how you get on, any questions just ask... xxxx

• Posted

Hi Amanda, if you had a pre -op then really you should have the operation within a few weeks otherwise they will need to do the pre-op again as any blood tests will now be out of date. Where I am its 18 wks from when the gp first referred you to the gastro so really you should have a date for end of April/ May time. Mine took longer as it took a while to diagnose the problem. 

I know sometimes they will monitor it which is what your gp did but really they should've referred you along time ago. Obviously as you're in Manchester its a really busy hospital and so emergencies take priority. 

Just keep going back to your gp or a&e if your pain gets worse or you have other symptoms and they can pass this onto your consultant.

Keep us updated with your progress. x

• Posted

That's good to know, I'm glad you're doing well, I'm a bit scared but will just be glad to get it out, hope you have a fast recovery and I'll keep updating.xx.

• Posted

Please don't be scared... you won't know yourself once it's all over & done with and you've made fill recovery. The surgery itself is over in an instant - nothing to worry about hun.. take care x

• Posted

Hi it is supposed to be 18 weeks here, but its just so busy, and I think even though I have pain I don't have all the symptoms I don't vomit or anything with it, so I think my case isn't urgent enough maybe. I don't really want to go to a&e unless its really bad as they leave you for hours and its so uncomfortable there. I always read posts on here as it makes me feel better that others are getting their ops done and doing so well. Thanks xx.

• Posted

Not everyone has all the classic symptoms and I was like you, put up with it as I didn't feel bad enough for a&e. 

Just make sure that if your condition gets worse that you'll see someone whether its your gp or a&e as symptoms can change.  

Are you able to eat or have you had to modify your diet?

Keep us updated with everything. Do they only do the surgery in one hospital up there as I had mine in a smaller cottage hospital to take away from the main hospital of the county.

Take care x

• Posted

I do need to be carefull as anything fatty brings on the worst pain and indigestion, but as I also have a hiatal hernia i attribute the indigestion to that, and i have a adenomyosis which causes a lot of back pain so sometimes i dont know which causes the most pain. I was sent an appointment to a smaller hospital which is trafford general but this is very far from my home and the consultant there said he thought I would be better off staying with the bigger hospital, but if I'd realised it would take this long I would have agreed to travel there, i think i will ask gp about going back there if their list is shorter, thanks. x

• Posted

Yes its not easy when you have symptoms and don't know which area is causing it. 

I looked at the other hospital on the internet when I had my appointment and it had great reviews from patients so I knew I was in safe hands plus the surgeons work in both hospitals. I just had to leave an hour before my appointment time on the day of surgery and its only a day case anyway. The only downside was the home trip at the end of the day because I hadn't been very well but I couldn't rate the staff at the smaller hospital more so much so I wrote a review for others. So have a look at their website, that way you've got a bit more information.

take care x

• Posted

Thanks snigger I know it will be OK, but I've never had abdominal surgery before and I'm just a little nervous but I know its better to get rid, as I'm worried about complications, one person on here (I can't find the post now) said that they had no symptoms but when their gallbladder was removed it had turned gangrenous. I know that must be very rare but just the thought of it scares me. Thanks again and take care. Xx.

• Posted

Don't forget hun... it's those that have problems that post... you don't hear of all the 1,000's that have this procedure and come through relatively unscathed... I'm sure you'll be fine... keep us posted xxx

• Posted

Hi Amanda, don't be nervous about surgery, I know its natural to be but to be honest with you, that was far easier than everything you go though before hand. That was the easiest day I've had in ages! Just remember your gallbladder has to come out for a reason and that it won't get better. 

As smigger said there's a massive amount of people have this operation every year all over the world and the majority recover without any problems but it does take time. 

Hospital staff will help you and put your mind at ease. When I was in the anaesthetic room before the operating theatre the anaesthetists assistant was great, he  was joking and trying to make light of everything to make me relax. I also had a trainee nurse who wanted to see the operation which was very useful she was there throughout and there when I woke up and it  was very reassuring for me to see a friendly face that would come back to the ward with me.

Try not to get bogged down with horror stories, I'm sure you'll be fine, it really is very easy.

Keep us informed with how your are and let us know when you get a date for surgery.

Take care and don't worry smile xx

• Posted

I know, keep us updated on here, on everything, how your feeling etc as people do get down just waiting but talking on here makes it so much easier, believe me. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.