waiting times

Posted , 5 users are following.

has anyone else waited along time for gallbladder removal?  i was first diagnosed with gallstones in march 2015, they said that i need surgery then, and that if i have any pain, to return to a&e, i have been to a&e many times, just to be sent home again, i have heard nothing about surgery and assumed i was already on a waiting list, then i went to see my gp last year to ask if i could be transferred to a different hospital, only then did she mention that i needed to be referred, and wasnt already on a waiiting list, i finally went to see a consultant in december, who agreed to put me on waiting list, i had my pre op just after that, but havent heard anything about op still, so rang consultants secretary who said that i will probably be waiting for 12 months and it is taking so long as they have had a lot of emergencies, but at least i know now, its just getting ridiculous, the secretary did say if i get any new symptoms to go and see gp, or if pain gets really bad to go to a&e, but i cant imagine the pain getting any worse. sorry the post is so long, just feel really angry, and sick of feeling tired and being in pain and ill.

0 likes, 16 replies

Report / Delete

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I went through this a couple of years ago so I know where you are coming from.

When you go to A and E you do not necessarily know who you see.

That is the problem.

I was diagnosed in December 2014 and had operation at end of April 2015.

The whole point of having a pre op is to see if you are fit and suitable for surgery.

If you then wait too long to have the surgery you may have to have another pre op as things change. Yes this is ridiculous.

It may be worth seeing another GP in your surgery.

This is what I did, the GP wrote to the hospital and I was done the next week.

If that GP could do it why coulen't the first one I saw?

It should not be like that but I'm afraid that is the reality of it.

The one thing to watch out for is if you become jaundiced.

I wish you luck with this.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah xx

Report / Delete Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up