walking?

Posted , 12 users are following.

After 11 1/2 weeks, I am hoping...no, praying I get this cast off Wed. Everyone around me seems to think that I should be able to walk when this happens. It would be nice if that were true, but I don't think this is going to happen. I know the odds of me being able to just stand alone are slim, but if I say that they tell me that I am just scared. Yes, I am scared. Right now I am scared of everything. I am scared I will never walk again. I am scared I will fall again. I am scared I won't work again. Most of all, I am scared of disappointing my family. They have been taking such good care of me, but I know they are ready to have their lives back. Hell, I want my life back. Thanks for letting me rant.

0 likes, 112 replies

112 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Good luck leelee, I'm rooting for you! 
    • Posted

Hi Lee !

Do NOT let anyone push you around. They have no idea of what you're going through and I myself am totally over everyone putting in their 2 bobs worth. It all takes lots of time. Keep calm and just know you will walk in time. I live alone and don't get it all the time but I politely tell people what I think. You will get there. 🙂

• Posted

I am so sick of hearing "you should have been walking weeks ago" or " you must be milking it so that everyone takes care of you". The sad thing is, it is friends as well as family. No one gets it, an ankle isn't like any other part of your body. I actually had someone tell me the other day that they broke their arm last year and was only in a cast 4 weeks and they were sure I should have been normal after 4 weeks and I just need to toughen up. Not that I would have ever said the things they are saying, but I had no idea how bad a broken ankle could be before this. I try not to get mad when people say ridiculous things, but it gets really difficult not to tell them to shut the hell up.
    • Posted

Hi Lee.

An arm isn't an ankle. You are not weight bearing on your arm and an arm is not complex at all ! An arm had no joint and small bones. I'm not saying it's good to break an arm but people need to get their facts right. Their are also different degrees of ankle breaks, therefore some will heal quicker than others. I know it all gets frustrating and you just feel like saying " Go break an ankle and see how you go" bad ain't I haha. 🙃

• Posted

I used the wrong their there. Tell you this lit can drive you nuts !
    • Posted

It does drive you nuts,. Until you have been in this situation, you just don't know. Then you RSD and it just makes it worse.
  • Posted

My best wishes go out to you. Please do not expect to walk immediately after cast is removed. You will need physical therapy before walking to strengthen your injured leg. This is absolutely critical for proper healing. I was able to use my injured leg one week after physical therapy. I can now stand and ride exercise bike. I even now cheat a bit and put a little bit of weight on injured foot but I am not supposed to yet. Please stay positive and be confident. But I urge you to get physical therapy soon after removing cast. God bless you and my prayers go out to you. Nick
    • Posted

Thanks Nick. I have noticed that all the muscle in my calf has disappeared, so I know my leg and ankle are going to be weak. My doctor has already said that I will have to do PT 3 times a week to strengthen my ankle.
    • Posted

Three times a week physical therapy is very good. I have lost a substantial portion of my calf muscle. I do pt at home too to strengthen calf muscle. Your therapist should give you diagrams to follow when you do pt at home. Nick
    • Posted

Curious, Nick, what exercises you can do to get back your calf muscle without using your foot????
    • Posted

I would like to know that also. Great question!
    • Posted

Seated calf raises - check out YouTube - a fountain of non weight bearing Videos I found really useful .
    • Posted

Thanks, but they all involve part of your foot.  Even going on tiptoes, as these videos indicate, is putting stress on your ankle bones.  Maybe when I'm a little further along.
    • Posted

One exercise that I've been doing may or may not help maintain the calf muscle, but puts no strain at all on the foot or ankle.  Lie on the floor, come up on your elbows, lift one leg at a time about 6 inches off the floor, and alternate quickly between legs, as if you were swimming.  I do believe it gives a little resistance to the calf.  That's about all I can think of that might help the calf without involving the foot. Any more ideas?  Ron
    • Posted

I also lay down on the bed with my legs straight and pulled my toes towards me and held it for 30 secs 3 X times a day and that was an exercise my Physio gave me to do with one of those bands but you can do it without too!
    • Posted

Good luck Ron you'll get there ! Even doing the tiniest something helps to make you feel you will be ok. I did light weights for upper body too whilst resting my leg (kneeling ) on the bed and standing only on the good foot ! Made me feel better to be doing something positive for the rest of my body .
    • Posted

Great to hear any good exercises that are NWB for the legs/calfs. Thank you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.