Walking after ankle orif

Posted , 5 users are following.

I fell out of a tree 9 weeks ago and shattered my ankle . Foot was manipulated to put back into right direction and plaster over night . Next morning had surgery ankle orif with plates and screws. I didn't have plaster but wore an air boot for 8 weeks . I was told no weight bearing at all .

I had a screw removed 2 days ago and told no more air boot and weight bearing as tolerable .

I am waiting to hear about physio but tried to put some weight on foot and it seems my knee cannot take the weight let alone the foot . Any advise ?

I

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well after a week of screw taken out have tried weight bearing . Can only partially weight bear with crutches . By the end of the day my ankle swells so much . More pain now than before taking paracetamol but still sore . Let's see what happens when final stitches come out on Tuesday . Got physio straight after they come out . 11 weeks tomorrow!

• Posted

Oh no. This just goes on and on don't it. Perhaps our expectations are too high? Let's hope when stitches are out you can start on the right road. My list of exercises from physio are making my ankle ache like hell. Didn't hardly move from settee all day yesterday. But have noticed that the swelling was not so bad she did say that it would help with the 'water' retention, as mine gets very puffy over the top of my foot. But have more swelling at ankle joint on right-side!! Slowly but surely Julian.... Sx

• Posted

Yes thanks and 🍷But foot really swelled up . Gone down overnight but very sore . Anything I should be doing to stop this . Had foot up on chair yesterday but. still swelled 😪

• Posted

I would ice it as much as possible even more with this heat. Mine came dwn great over night but gone back up now as it's been in boot for just over hr!!! 😢. Sx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.