Walking boot

Posted , 12 users are following.

Today I got a walking boot that I can take off to help with my break and torn ligaments, doctor wasn't very clear when to wear the boot and when not too. Foot feels very week when I have the boot of and can only bare it for seconds as it hurts. Was wondering if anyone knew when I was meant to wear it ? X

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Also am I meant to wear it when in bed ?? X
  • Posted

If this is your first time in the walking boot (black heavy boot) you probably aren't supposed to bear full weight yet. Start out by just allowing the heavy boot to rest of the floor when you are sitting or standing but do not put weight on it. The boot itself is heavy and will be enough weight at first on the ankle.  I wore my boot during the day but not at night when I slept. Do keep your leg elevated at night to help with swelling. Call your doctor to confirm What his instructions are. You do not want to rush anything because it can re-injure The break.  If the foot feels better in the boot then leave it on. It's not going to hurt anything.  Remember to listen to your body! It will help guide you! Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Jasmine,

I have had my boot for going on three weeks and was told last wed. that I no longer needed to sleep with it on.  I have chosen to leave it on at night as my ankle is still very tender and I have a screw that is backing out of my ankle and the area is a bit tender.  I find it gives good support and since my ankle is still healing, that is a good thing.

Personally I found that when I took the boot off to wash and air my leg, I wasn't able to leave it off for too long because it started to hurt.  I would opt for leaving it on as much as you can, it's good support while you recover.

Best of luck in your recovery!

• Posted

I just purchased one of those 'evenup' things for my shoe.  I found that starting to weight bear (20lbs) I was so off kilter that my hip was starting to ache when I was hobbling along with my walker.  This is a thick rubberized sole that you put on over your shoe which makes you level with the air cast.  I just got mine today and it works like a charm, they are only $25 or so, I got mine on amazon.

Good Luck!!

• Posted

Hi Jasmin, in my case (torn tendon) I had to wear it whenever I walked. Can take it off when in bed, bathing, or on couch. You may want to double check with your medical team.
    • Posted

How long did it take you to walk again after your injury
  • Posted

I kept my boot on all the time at first. I even slept in it. The only time I took it off was to bathe. 
  • Posted

Wear it for support. If it hurts ditch it and listen to Deb get the Even Up Shoe. Save a lot of pain 
  • Posted

Hi jasmine. When I was in my boot I took it off while resting keeping my foot elevated every time. Used a bath bench when showering so no weight on foot. Could take mine off at night and slept with a double quilt folded four times which gave a very nice height for elevation. I hated the sound of the velcro when that boot had to go back on even for the loo. Glad to say goodbye to it. Wishing you luck. Sx
  • Posted

Jasmine,

You should wear the boot exactly as your doctor prescribed. We could speculate here on your boot wearing until the cows come home, but only your doctor has seen the x-rays and examined your foot and ankle.

You mentioned your doctor was not clear to you on when you need to wear the boot. This is likely just a little misunderstanding. So talk to your health provider again and insist on clear, explicit instructions on when and how to wear boot. Good gracious it is your ankle at stake here.

As far as your extreme discomfort when wearing your boot-- you can buy special air boot socks that are luxuriously plush and calf length to help cushion pressure on ankle. You could also adjust boot air pressure a bit-- you don't want boot so pressurized that your ankle/foot are suffocatingly tight.

Exactly how and when an air cast or boot has to be worn is largely determined by the location and severity of fracture(s) and progress in bone mending. If you've had surgery that can add another layer of complexity (incision wounds can be aggravated by boot wearing).

The nature of your injury will influence whether your doc will insist that you also sleep in boot in early stages of recovery.

In some injuries, movements like turning or twisting in your sleep could endanger fracture knitting. Be advised that sleeping in boot is a form of torture for some of us. I found that easing off the air pressure in boot allowed me enough comfort to get some sleep (yes it is a form of cheating).

Unless doc orders otherwise (and please be clear on this) it should be okay to take off boot when you are resting with no weight on and no motion of injured ankle. You obviously also need to take off boot to cleanse the foot, change socks, freshen up the boot, or apply any salves or ointments.

Ask your physician how soon you can start your rehab with ankle ROM (range of motion) exercises. Even before you get to weight-bearing in boot you can begin work with ROM (take boot off of course) to jump-start your recovery (again-- get your doctor's approval).

Good luck, and we hope to hear about your satisfactory results soon.

• Posted

This is very helpful kpower.... thanks. I just got an aircast today after 6 weeks in a cast. The doc told me to WBAT and that I only needed to wear the boot when  I walk. I was totally surprised on the ease at which I am bearing some weight on my foot  (with my walker ) and how much easier everything is when you can at least have two feet on the ground... I am definitely going to get a even up shoe . As for physio my doc told me I could go any time, but felt it made most sense to wait til I am fully weight bearing... I think I will go sooner and at least get an initial assessment and see what I can do in the meantime.  Can't wait to shower without having to worry if my cast is staying dry! 

• Posted

great news. Enjoy your nice hot soapy shower...

😊. Sx

• Posted

Thanks Zelda.

Welcome to our moon boot club (and many of us have wished to kick our moon boots to the moon). I'm glad you are out of the cast and into the removable boot.

I am somewhat of an evangelist on physiotherapy for ankle recovery, so I encourage you to engage in whatever exercises your doctor will allow now. Your ankle will thank you later (for now all it may do is complain wink

• Posted

I fractured my ankle two weeks ago and finally went to the Drs took the xrays they told me I had a small fracture. Now after a week I was walking fine with no pain and thed swelling was going down. So the Dr makes me wear a MAXTRAX WALKER say what I've almost fall 10 times wearing this monster boot when I take it off my ankle hurts more then before I started wearing it. Dr told me I have to wear it for 4 weeks and to bed. I just can't seem to do that I've got Fibromyalgia and back problems have enough problems sleeping at night so do I really need to wear it sleeping? I went 2 weeks without a boot already and walked fine

• Posted

Have you told your dr how this is causing you pain. It’s suppose to support not cause you pain. Because of nerve damage I couldn’t wear anything at all on me not even a bandage. The plaster rubbed a staple out and left a gaping hole and exposed all nerves. Surgeon told me not to use it if it’s painful. Ans if you so continue get an Even Up Shoe even if it’s only for a week. Do take care as secondary injuries are all too common with this injury. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.