Walking normal

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am 16 weeks and 10 weeks out from bilateral tkr. My walking improves daily, but sometimes it is still like a robot. Any aughestions on how to smooth out my walking?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jen

It's still early days for you so don't worry. As you get used to more walking you will find in time that your steps will come smoother.

I'm 21 months and still using my stick when out and about

Regards

Christine

TKR Nov 2014

• Posted

Hey Jen, congratulations! You've made it through to the other side. I had both TKR, 3 months apart, will be 2 years from second surgery Sept 17. I hope you are able to stay with regular physical therapy, my knees were very bad so I had a lot of muscle rebuild and flexibility to work on. Therapist had me on treadmill for 10-15 minutes every session with a video camera from front so I could

PRACTICE loosing the bad walking habits I had developed.

If you can't go to regular PT try to do your own routine. I was in PT for more than a year, and I think it really helped. Riding stationary bike a lot also helped and walking about a mile a day.

My knees feel good, still need keep them flexible. Had my right hip go bad about 6 months ago, and I'm about 6 weeks post op RTHR. That's why I'm still here at this forum. On the road to recovery again.

Your at the point where you can really benefit from regular exercise. If you want any details about specific exercises I would be happy to give you some input. Dave

• Posted

Hi, I'm 10 wks right tkr and 12 mths left tkr, I had a huge problem walking straight after 1st op . I placed a full length mirror at one end of the room and just kept walking towards it. also I exaggerated my walk lifting my knees up higher each step. I made sure I walked heel down and roll to toes. It all looked a bit mad at first but within a couple of weeks my feet re aligned and I was on my way to normality. Also wear good fitting shoes outside .In the house I went barefoot so I could feel my feet working out

• Posted

Hi Jen. I too walk like a robot! My balance is stuffed to. I believe, with time, exercise and patience I will improve. Hope you do too! Perhaps ask your surgeon or physio for some exercises. I am 178 cm tall and I feel weird when I walk uphill. X
  • Posted

I couldn't contemplate going through this agony again! Well done for having both knees done. Im 14 weeks post op TKR and it's been agony. Never imagined how awful this would be. I'm still walking like a robot and have had to learn to walk again because all of last year I was limping and not walking properly. My knee doesn't bend too well still. My husband keeps saying, bend your knee, I wish he knew how much it hurts! I can't offer any suggestions I'm afraid. Keep going, everyone says it gets easier, I'm hoping and praying this is so. Good luck xx

• Posted

Hi. Have you been in physical therapy? I'm sorry to hear you're having a rough recovery.

I had both knees done June Sept 2014. In PT for over a year, only way I ever made it back.

You're only 14 weeks post op, it's a longer process than that. You need a good workout 3 times a week of an hour or two, not much time to get your mobility back.

New knee doesn't bend as far as real knee but you should get at least 100-120 degrees. And it doesn't hurt or it won't once you heal. Good luck Kay, seriously I'd like to know what your doing for therapy.

I'm back at this Forum because i had RTHR 6 weeks ago. Getting better every day.

Dave

• Posted

Hi Dave, what do you mean when you say not much time to get your mobility back, I am 13 weeks post tkr is there a time limit

in which I can improve and when that time is up I won't be able to improve any more?

• Posted

Hey Susie, what I meant was 4 to 6 hours a week is not much time to have to spend in order to make your self better. My point was you have to invest time doing exercises.

Your flexibility is harder to get back if you wait / you're stretching scar tissue. But you're just getting started at 13 weeks, you will continue to get stronger as long as you work out and push for improvement. That was my experience. Everyone is different but exercise makes everyone better. Dave

• Posted

Hi Susie. Not all of us do 4-6 hours a week of exercise! I do 20 mins most days. A brisk walk, perhaps a bike ride for 20 mins, some swimming, stretches, quad exercises and some weights for my upper body. One does need to exercise but not everyone is racing to a "finish line", imho. Rest is terribly important, weight management and diet are critical too. Go kindly on yourself. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.