Walking post op TKR

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all. Now 6 weeks post op and really struggling with the walk. Had physio this week who gave some advice but I still walking with a stiff leg as if I have forgotten how to walk. Any tips anyone ? Sue

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I'm at 3 months out on a TKR and still at time walk stiff legged. I find myself doing this as the day goes on and my leg gets tired. I also throw my leg out to the side, but I've done this all of my life.

• Posted

Walking in swimming pool, as long as incision fully closed, worked wonders for my walking.
  • Posted

In actuality, you have to learn how to walk all over again.  The biggest thing to remember is...

HEEL - TOE!!!

You literally have to concentrate on kicking that leg straight out in front of you, landing on your heel and rolling the foot to your toe.  This will feel VERY WEIRD at first...just think of being at your first band camp in high school and learning how to do this for drill.  Same thing.  You just have to learn how to walk correctly again...plus extending that knee out straight in front of you helps with regaining your ROM.  NO SHUFFLING!!!

It seems silly and, yes, you have to really concentrate while you're doing it.  Took me a month to do it correctly so it became automatic again.  Not an issue...very normal.  Heel-toe...heel-toe...  Just keep doing it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.