Want help to understand Graves desease and is there a diet to help

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been recently diagnosed of hyperthyroidism / Graves desease. Have been put on Carbimazole 15 mg daily. I read a few articles on the Internet and am confused. Saw some good easy replies here hence asking if anyone can help explain what do you check for in hyperthyroidism as in what your T3 and T4 levels should be and is there an advised diet which says keep away from these foods.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Not sure I understand what you are confused about.  My doctors follow my TSH, Free T3 and Free T4, white count and liver function tests at regular intervals.  At least once a year, they check my antibody levels.  I was diagnosed in 2007 and placed on 10 mg of Methimazole.  My FT3 and FT4 immediately came down into the normal range but my TSH remained at essentially 0 until I read a research paper about the benefits of adding Regular L-Carnitine to my treatment regimen.  I got tested for Free and Total carnitine and I was deficient in this.  I was also deficient in vitamin D (adequate vitamin D level is very important for hyperthyroid patients) so added this as well as Magnesium which I was low in.  I am currently taking 2.5 mg of Methimizole 4 days a week and all my levels have been normal since 2012.  My doc will probably wean me off soon but if I had to take this for the rest of my life, I would not mind.  Diet - really important to avoid the artificial sweetener Aspartame.  Some people feel better on a gluten free diet.  A diet in fruits, vegetables and proteins is good.
    • Posted

Hi Linda, I found your reply to Ronmozart very enlightening. Thank you! I was diagnosed with Graves Disease a year ago so I appreciate all the information I can get, especially from someone who has had the same experience!
    • Posted

Great points! Thank you for sharing.

One thing I'm confused about is that you would stay on Methimazole for the rest of your life.  I didn't think it was possible since the medication is not good for your liver and immune system.

• Posted

I probably will be taken off of it but even if I wasn't, I don't mind staying on it at this low dose.  At this dose, the problems with liver function and CBC are usually not there.  By the way, I have been on doses from 10 mg to 2.5 mg and have never had abnormal liver function tests or CBC.  I was diagnosed in 2007 and that means never had a problem with those issues  in 9 years of being on Methimazole.

• Posted

Of course I'm praying for a remission, but in the meanwhile, blood testing and liver panels are required on a regular basis. I am presently on a very low dose and don't see another way out for me.

• Posted

I am in between either Graves or post partum thyroiditis. My labs are just above. I am nursing and scared of the meds. How are they
    • Posted

It's my understanding that blood work which shows antibodies is proof of Graves Disease. If this is the case, medication is not the only choice of treatment but it is the one I chose. I don't think that is a choice if you are nursing. If on the other hand it is not Graves, is it possible to wait it out? I have been blessed so far in not suffering any ill due to the medication and my symptoms have improved as well. I wish I could have a better answer. Feel better soon.

• Posted

For pregnant women or nursing mothers the medication they use is PTU (prophythiouracil).instead of Mehtimazole or Carbimazole.
    • Posted

Any side effexts and shld I try and wait and see if it goes away withoit meds
    • Posted

As far as side effects, I guess medications affect different people in different ways.  All I know is that PTU is used in pregnant women because it is considered safer than Methimazole for the fetus.  As far as waiting and seeing, you need to be careful about thyroid storm which is serious so I guess the answer to your question would depend on how you are feeling.

• Posted

Yes, very important point to always consult your medical professionals!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.