Warning! Don't be tempted to over do it!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all! 

Just a warning to all fellow TKR recipients not to try and do too much even when you feel fine and have reached 10 weeks post op!

I drove my car two days running on fairly long journeys ( two hour round trips with a rest of an hour in between) and I now actually feel  ill, let alone having very nasty pains in my knee! It was also very painful actually driving for a long period even though I have an automatic car! Yes, I should have known better as this is my second TKR but when you feel well you tend to do too much and forget that you'll pay for it later ?? ! 

Take care all of you!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi ya Glenda,

Thank you for the warning. I am 6 weeks and 5 days post op. I am not happy with how slow my progress is. I am walking on one crutch in doors and two outdoors. I need to be re educated on my walking with physiotherapy. However I have only had 3 half hour sessions in 6 weeks. My walking prior to my tkr was extremely poor with a terrible limp and gait. My bend will only be 90 degrees which I am achieving. My quad muscles or very poor. I do feel that I am over doing it. I just want to feel half normal with my mobility. You are doing absolutely amazing. You must be so.proud of yourself. Just take things a little slower with the driving. Well done to you and I hope the pain eases of soon.

• Posted

Hi!

90' is great, so we'll done! I only managed 90' at 7/8weeks and I'm not sure what my measurement is now but I have a physio appointment this Thursday and no doubt he will expect 100' plus! It's a long haul this TKR business and with my left TKR in 2014, it took around eight months before I realised that the operation was worth while and at a year plus I was thrilled with my new knee!??????

• Posted

Glenda dont i know it i am also 10 weeks post op went back to work this week just doing part time am also driving . Today i am in so much pain and discomfort i dont what to do have iced taken hots bath plus more pain meds but nothing has eased the pain in my knee and lower leg realised i have done far to much its really made me feel very low and tearful going to try and do less next week.

Wishing you all the best we much try and rest more .

• Posted

Hi!

Oh dear sounds like we are in the same boat! What I've found is that just one day of over doing it ends up a whole week of feeling rough and subsequently depressed with it all! It's trying to find that balance which is the difficult thing??. Take it easy and the pain will subside and as time goes by life will return to normal-it just takes a good few months, even a year to 18 months but ultimately we will be pleased with our new knees!????

• Posted

Glenda dont i know it i am also 10 weeks post op went back to work this week just doing part time am also driving . Today i am in so much pain and discomfort i dont know what to do have iced taken hots bath plus more pain meds but nothing has eased the pain in my knee and lower leg realised i have done far to much its really made me feel very low and tearful going to try and do less next week.

• Posted

Glenda dont i know it i am also 10 weeks post op went back to work this week just doing part time am also driving . Today i am in so much pain and discomfort i dont know what to do have iced taken hot baths plus more pain meds but nothing has eased the pain in my knee and lower leg realised i have done far to much its really made me feel very low and tearful going to try and do less next week.

• Posted

Sorry to send that 3 times i was trying to edit text did not know it would send it each time oops
  • Posted

I know...one day u feelgreat then bam....tough recovery...doing well with pt....but somedays I feel like I just got out of surgery.....take care of yourself....everybody tells me it is worth it!!
  • Posted

Hey Glenda, thanks for sharing your story. I too fund that driving even short distances taxes my knee. I find that the simple task of moving from tge gas to the brake is uncomfortable. I have not been on a,long trip as you have described but feel that i would do the same as you describe. I too was one that felt better and decided to venture out to do something anything because i felt good only to soon find out that was not to be done. I was told early on my rehab doctor to be patient. You cannot rush the healing process. Thats a hard one - patience! Its a very long healing process for sure. I hope you continue to do well. Take care!
    • Posted

Hi!

I didn't find driving so bad with my left TKR as in an automatic it had to just stay in one place, but I do remember having to press it against the floor or I could feel my knee sort of "clunking" around! 

I've even tried driving with my ice pack strapped to my knee but the pain still appears! Guess I'll just have to be patient and stick to very short drives for a few months!

• Posted

Glenda, don't lose heart, you'll find that every week past 10 weeks you improve in leaps and bounds. I'm 12 weeks tomorrow, and feels much better than two weeks ago, and heaps better than four weeks ago.   I even sometimes forget I've had it done!  My back gives me more pain than anything right now.   So,  just do as much as your body will let you, the time will pass.

• Posted

Such a relief to read your posts everyone smile I am at 11 weeks post TKR tomorrow, and I still feel much less mobile than I was before the operation. Believe me, that's saying something, as I was unable to manage stairs, do shopping etc for years. I really thought I'd feel better by now.

One difficulty is that I don't know what arrangements I can make, eg a friend wants to meet up in August in London. Will I be able to go? I have no idea.....

This is all so frustrating. Good luck everyone and take care of yourselves x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.