Was due to have a total hip replacement and cancelled due to anxiety

Posted , 10 users are following.

Was due to have a total hip replacement and cancelled due to anxiety 2weeks prior to date.

the anxiety condition I developed is general anxiety it has changed every aspect of my life and is terrible everything is a major worry. Problem is my hip is deteriorating fast and so is the other one , I have been looking at the anterior approach and this seems easier for recovery which has been my dread does anyone know of a good surgeon in  Manchester England  using this approaching.

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

...recovery which has been my dread ...

Hi Mary-

You have "Pre-surgery jitters", THR version. It is very common. [ I could tell you stories ...] Not too much you can do about the mechanics of joint replacement surgery--the docs have perfected the techniques over the last 40 years. To the experts, you have a commonplace hip problem, and they have a set of tools that will repair your joint in 90 minutes of effort.

Of course, that puts you in the dreaded recovery mode. Everyone on this discussion board will tell you: recovery is just not that bad. You will be uncomfortable for a week or so, and very tired for a month or so. You will get medication for the former (Take it.), and advised to rest a lot for the latter (Do it.). As for the anxiety, my advice is not to obsess about the surgery, or the immediate aftermath. No need to suffer future pain, as they say. Try to focus on the upcoming Christmas holidays, when, for the first time in years, you will be pain-free and enjoying a nice holiday in a pleasant warm place.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hello Mary. I'm sorry you've cancelled your op. I had right hip replaced on Thursday. I was so anxious and scared, it made me unwell. Could t eat, couldn't sleep, but I felt I couldn't bear pain any longer. Everyone was so kind and aware how I was feeling.

after surgery, it was wonderful to feel pain free. Only you know how you feel and if you can cope,but please think about the benefits. Xx

• Posted

Thank you Carol , it has been 4 months since I cancelled and still have massive anxiety. Just thought anterior approach sounded better .
  • Posted

Hi Mary,

Please feel free to message me privately if you want but I'm in Manchester. I had a posterior thr 12 weeks ago and recovery was absolutely fine. I accept I have recovered really quickly and we'll- I feel this was due to my age and fitness though. I think whatever approach you have recovery is an individual thing. I'm really sorry to hear you have anxiety and if I can be of help to get you to op and beyond give me a shout as I'm a counsellor/trauma therapist and would be happy to help. My surgeon was a Mr Ghalayini who operates in Stockport and other areas. He was fab. Good luck, Kirsty

• Posted

So sorry you felt you had to cancel. The anterior approach is a relatively new way of doing things, one of the advantages being that muscles are parted and not cut. Many aspects of recovery can be better, however the recovery from the conventional posterior/ lateral approach is not that bad, viewed I must admit from a distance. 

The antieior approach is not is not the predominant method in England far fewer surgeons are trained and expert. Additionally I think it requires a specific type of operating tablet, the Hana which costs mega bucks. You may well find a surgeon in the UK who does the approach but personally I would think again about the long established successful procedure more prevalent in the UK

Best wishes

maggie

• Posted

Hi Mary, I've been on low dose medication for quite some time for anxiety, I completely understand how you feel and how it can stop you in your tracks, you end up being fearful of everything.

I am having a LTHR tomorrow, to say I am nervous is an understatement, my husband took me out for lunch and I barely ate, I've got butterflies every two minutes and my mind is going over the worse possible scenarios repeatedly, its just dreadful, but I will still go in tomorrow because living with all this pain is stopping me from doing so much, I keep thinking of all the tears I've cried the agonising bursitis I've suffered and the awful bone pain in my groin, that will all go away, so I've just got to do this.

The hospital phoned me up earlier to confirm I was coming in and did I have a cough cold or diahorrea, well I said yes I'm coming and no to the ailments, then after I hung up I looked at my husband and asked him if he thought I had a cold, (I don't) and he laughed and said no you are fine, that is anxiety and doubt because I'm worried my health isn't 'perfect' enough to have an operation, and I may get complications or worse.

I've just read this back to myself and I know I sound potty but that is fear it isn't rational, so my mantra is to be kind to myself and just breathe it will all be ok.

Are you getting help with your anxiety? Hopefully if you can tackle it you will then be able to have an operation.

I really wish you the very best of luck with everything.

Take Care Lulu

• Posted

Up too now I have had 10 CBT sessions with a therapist and we tackle one paralysing fear and another pops it's head up I really am feeling sad.

hope all goes well with your operation and thank you for your response.

• Posted

Oh Lulu I've just read this on Mary's blog, I can't tell you how bad I've been but my son who is a theatre recovery nurse said he vary rarely meets a patient who's not nervous /anxious etc so again keep me posted and good luck tomorrow X

• Posted

Best of luck tomorrow Lulu.... I was on the waiting list, and thought my operation would be in August or September and then got taken in at the very last minute due to a cancellation, I think I've spoken to you already and said that I was called on morning of the 16 June and asked to go in and operated on that same day, it was so quick I didn't know what was happening ....but after the hospital phoned me I had a bit of an emotional moment and burst into tears ... I couldn't get my head around the fact that my problem hip (hip dysphasia) which I'd had for years and years was going to be fixed that afternoon.... just like that.  It was a shock but I'm so glad I went and got it done, it's early days for me, but I'm sure I've done the right thing .... best wishes to you ... Lizbet 😁

• Posted

Hi Mary, I was due to have my left hip replaced tomorrow (right one in 6 months) I have been a nervous wreck as I have Hughes Syndrome (high risk blood clots etc)I also take 4 different high blood pressure tabs a day and I'm diabetic, I have various recent letters from surgeon's advising I'm high risk for any op BUT after worrying myself sick I can't tell you how disappointed I am that I now have to wait allbeit only 2 weeks.I'm having my op at Trafford General not sure what approach but instead of dread I'm now focusing on getting through the next 2 weeks and getting on with it. As ever body else has said you can't go on in pain you'll be fine Mary once done we can go for a long walk/bar crawl together X for

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.