Was on fluoxetine 20mg and now back dr put me back on Zoloft help

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone I'm Joe I'm 30 yr I been on Zoloft and avtivan for 11 years did wonders . Until April 2016 I was feeling anxious and I was actually having more sudden panic attack so my doctor said stop Zoloft go to 10mg fluoxetine and 25mg Zoloft for 5 weeks then 20mg flouxtine after 5 weeks I took 20 mg a day for two weeks I was mean angry sad wicked depress afraid of dieing awful chest pain headaches Acid feel in throat at all times . So last Tuesday he had me quit and hop back to 50 mg Zoloft . Now I don't know if anyone experience this but I go from happy to sad to ok . I been feel a lot of weird side affect like headache confused and tired . Always cold and hot flashes starting to feel little bit better but I was wondering if this cocktail of medcine is making me feel this way or am I losing my mind here my gf and family have been suffering because I have not been my slef is there anyone out there that can relate or support my kids are supporters but that's about it. Thank you everyone

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Blimey.

Your doctor made you go cold turkey off the meds?  That's a dangerous thing to do as these meds need to be withdrawn from your body slowly over months.  Not surprised you're getting withdrawl effects.  Not a good doctor.

Firstly, these meds take a long, long time to work, and the time you were on them was not long enough.  What you experienced to start with was side effects and your body adjusting to them.  They don't suit everyone of course, and some people can't tolerate these tough side effects.  However - the side effects do wear off.

There are many different SSRI's and everyone suits different ones.  It's often trial and error finding the correct one to suit your body - but you need to take one for many, many months and one dose before you can decide if its suits you.  My son had a breakdown 2 years ago and went through hell on these meds - it took 9 months on these meds for him to fully recover.  He's now well and back to his normal self and has spent since January withdrawing from the meds.

People who swap from meds to meds and change doses up and down too often spend a long time feeling ill.  Your body gets confused.  These take a long, long time to settle and work.  You need one meds and one dose - stay on it for months and months, through all the nasty side effects, let your body settle and you'll find you'll slowly you'll improve.

Hope that helps.

K xx

• Posted

Yes I agree with u on that he may not be the best doctor for this especially when he said he didn't know what to do with me when I talk to him in the phone.that hurt my feeling like wtf you should know what's next for us to try. I appreciate the kind word and support I feel very daze exhausted and I have not even left my home in two days just all the switch meds I belive are making feel like this I'm glad your son is better I know hopefully eventually I will be to thanks for commenting back

• Posted

Oh bless you - am sorry to hear your doctor isn't good at talking.  Your doctor must understand too that it can take a long, long time to recover on one meds - so its really best to stick to one.  I've also taken meds and it took me 6 months to recover.  Chatting on this forum is good - you'll get lots of support here.

I'm not surprised you feel dazed and exhausted with the meds you've taken - your body doesn't know if its coming or going.  I think too you're suffering withdrawl symptoms from stopping the Fluoxetine abruptly.  I think now that you're back on Zoloft, its best to stay on this and one dose for now, and let your body settle.  If it takes a month or more ..... then let it.  When you begin to feel more at ease you can think about increasing your dose.  I'm surprised you took Ativan for 11 years - that one in particular can be addictive and your body starts to depend on them.  Zoloft is ok though.

It might be tough for a while for you whilst your body settles - explain to your family that it will be ok soon and they should be able to support you.  You may want to think about changing to a different doctor - there are some great doctors out here who know more about this.

Keep in touch.

K xx

• Posted

You definitely are not going crazy. Your body is just trying to adapt to the meds. It does take a really long time - up to three months - to adjust to an ssri. And it can get way worse before it gets better. You may need a good psychiatrist to manage your meds. My primary care physician also told me that he didn't know what to do to help me but he referred me to a psychiatrist. That was life changing for me. He kept me on the 20mg fluoxetine but added a mini dose of Klonopin to get me over the adjustment hump. I'm back to me again. It's amazing to think that just 2 months ago I was contemplating scary things.

• Posted

Has anyone felt weak like in there legs like they feel heavy and sore this didn't happen before when I started taking any anti depressants now it is when I took Zoloft before it didn't do this . It's making me nevrous because I was taking a walk outside and all of sudden felt this way like I been running a endurance race but I didn't do anything to crazy I'm not out of breath anything mybblood pressure is ok .I had a decent day today beside this ugh it's never gonna get better and wedendays is my son 7th birthday and I feel like I'm gonna be stuck in bed

• Posted

You'll get lots of aches and pains - probably a combination of the meds and this illness.  When you're suffering people often hold their body too tense which can result in aches and pains.  Also being over tired from the meds can lead to inactivity, which again can lead to aches and pains.

I'm sure its nothing to worry about, but maybe get it checked out to ease your concern.

You will get over this - take one day at a time, and as each week goes by just tick that one off and move forward again.  In time you can look back and see the progress you've made - it might be small, but it'll be progress.

K xx

• Posted

Hey guys just a update and thank you for the support it really helps because it's hard to show this emotion around gf and my kids but I been feeling pretty good lately but still having headaches and feel dazed also really anxious and just kind afraid of feeling better casue I felt like crap for so long I just wish I could snap.my fingers and be back to normal

• Posted

So glad you are improving. It's a marathon - not a sprint. Takes time.

• Posted

Thanks Cheryl . Today has been ruff day keep feel confused and stuff it really sucks
    • Posted

Like forgetting what I'm doing and it scary ugh wish i was better

• Posted

Hi Bigjoe

Glad to hear you've been feeling pretty good - hope you're still feeling ok.  I remember I also felt scared feeling better because I'd been ill for so long ..... also at times I was scared to move in case the good feelings disappeared biggrin

This will improve more and more as time goes by - you'll still get bad days or weeks, but they should get less.  

3 steps forward 2 steps back ... thats how it seems to work as you recover.

You'll get there wink

K x

• Posted

Hi katcog I appreciate the support and knowledge I wish I had a anxiety friend I could talk to like u every time I get this way .today I had a decent day I still can't leave home without having a wicked panic attack. I get to the outside front porch and flip out ..this is not new to me it has been happening for the entire 3 months . I was hopeing it would be gone by now. I'm not sure what to do though I have days with mini panic attack wich go away fast and my avaitn nips those one . and just about 10 minutes ago my time 3:17 am I had one of the wicked ones like I had when I was on Prozac . Shaking gagging. Racing heart beat . Scared sh*t less I took a avaitn ba midnight I figured I was good . But I clam my slef by doing deep breathing techniques I read about. My question for u friends is should keep pushing along or should I contact doctor and see if there somthing we can do. ? I feel like I'm trap here and I figure the avaitn would help any ideas

• Posted

Well you can post or message me anytime wink

Your body is still adjusting to the medicine, so its bound to have these ups and downs.  Using the relaxation and deep breathing is so good - when we have a panic attack the body tenses, so relaxing is the best thing.

So going outside is still a problem? ....... When you're out and you have a panic, can you try the deep breathing technique too.  Try and relax, breathe, wait ....... just sit and wait, breathe some more, ride it through.  Running from it means you tense your body - and the best way is relaxing through it.

Is that something that could be done?

You should also contact your doctor too, just to keep him aware of whats happening / progress etc.  There's always things to do - talking therapy, relaxation therapy ..... and remember to push along in a 'relaxed' manner - pushing/forcing means your body tenses, and you need to float/relax.

K x

• Posted

Hi guys wanted to update u 20 days now I'm starting to feel a bit better thank u all for the support I still have bad days I'm driving again. I'm on 50 mg Zoloft and 1 Ativan 3 times a day . I hope I'll keep improving as day comes thank you all for the support and kindness appreciate it. I will continue to update and help others

• Posted

Hey that's great!!  So glad you're finally settling.  It gets better and better even more too biggrin

K xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.