Ways of thinking

Posted , 7 users are following.

Anyone no a way to change my ways off thinking .. like negative to positive.  I suffer anxiety and panic attack so I need to change my ways of thinking .. any tips or advice please    

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

writing a truth false or don't know statement to each negative thought that comes into your head.  List them all down then add true false or don't know  only the true statements  count but you have to be clear in your judgements.

Richard

• Posted

Hello, I've been exactly in the same place as you. I've been going to counselling like my doctor recommended and she has given me some technqiues which might be helpful to you. 1) is a graditude journal, try to write at least 3 positives things a day, could be something as simple as enjoying the sunshine etc. 2) is what situations make you feel anxious/panic, write down the negative feelings/thoughts that come with that, and then write down positive ways/feelings/thoughts about the situation, and then when in an anxious situation, think of the positive thoughts. Hope this has helped at all, it has helped me a little at times! smile x
  • Posted

Part of CBT is to question the validity of thoughts; if you are perceiving a situation as negative, you would be asked whether this was correct, could you be seeing it in a negative light? Thats a good start but it's also very subjective and you are then teaching yourself that some thoughts are 'true' and some arnt, so that could create an internal battle with yourself.

I would look up metacognitive therapy, i got a good book from amazon called metacognitive therapy for anxiety and depression. I think this will really help you. It will teach you that thoughts are just mental events and you do not have to pay attention to them, argue with them or try to change them. You can just let them be and allow them to pass. Things that make you happy, you can then encourage. I hope that helps x 

• Posted

hi natalie when a negitive though come to your mind imagine a parrot on you shoulder and knock the bugger off, other tips are think of something uve achieved in life a happy thought to take you away from the negitive thought . its a thought its not you! a thought will change your mood . takes patience but keep trying! PMA < possitive mental atticude! excuse my spelling x possitive="" mental="" atticude!="" excuse="" my="" spelling="">

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.