Ways to overcome depression

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had depression for 2 months now and we all know how awful it makes you feel. I don't work at the moment and I have a lovely husband, family and home. But yet I feel so alone and blue!! I am having huge problems sleeping, getting out of bed in the morning, doing household chores and going to the gym. I know this is a big ask but is there anyone out there who has discovered ways of tackling any of the above problems. Your advice would be gratefully received. Keep strong x

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

If finances allow Maybe you could consider Massage or another Holistic therapy. Try to give yourself some little treats and remember a time when you felt Well and remember you can feel that way again with a little Bit of support.

Most  importantly talk talk talk It really helps to know your not alone :-)

• Posted

I am lucky that I have lots of people around me that care. My husband took me away to a health spa for a few days. It was very noticeable to me that I did not have the same energy levels. It was almost to much of an effort to be there. I feel terrible saying that because it was an expensive treat. The depression at the moment is making me lethargic. Hope you are doing ok x
  • Posted

Therapy, therapy, therapy & self help books would be my advise!

If you've been ill for 2 months, do you think there may be a possibility that it's SAD -seasonal affective disorder? Do you know the cause or have an idea of what set it off?

Mine seems to intensify in early November. I've been ill for 20 years & I know that if I had the right help initially then I'd be in a better place now. Keep talking on here if it helps. You are lucky that you have a good support network around you so cherish that. That's something I'm lacking, I think that's why or one of the reasons why mine comes back.

• Posted

Yes I am lucky that I have a lovely husband, family and home. I don't need to work either. I appreciate that so much but I feel guilty that I am not that fun loving wife I was. a couple of months back. He worries about me. My depression was bought on by family illness. The last time I was depressed was 4 years ago and that lasted for about 5 long long long months. Depression is such an awful illness and I pray that it will lift soon. I hope that you have had an ok day x
    • Posted

What advice would you give a friend if they were where you are now.

My guess is that you would be Kinder and More understanding..

Remember what you feel Will pass and you Will Come out of this stronger.

Just deal with one thing at a time and the best thing you can Do for your husband is Focus on getting Well .

Youll get there I promise :-)

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words of hope and encouragement. I do so want to get better. For myself and my patient husband so we can enjoy life again without me crying every time he does something nice which is all the time. Am I right In thinking that you have recovered from depression? X
    • Posted

I am Still recovering but take things one step at a time. It Has really helped me to talk to someone Thats not family or friends.

I think allowing yourself to talk freely and honesty to someone without the fear of being judged or pityed is one of the First steps towards recovery

• Posted

Yes I totally agree and the good thing about this forum is that everyone understands you. I am very hopeful that I will recover from this depression. The last time I had depression was 4 years ago and it lasted about 5 months.i went on to make a recovery. In the summer of this year I decided to take a break from work and then a few months later ended up with my second depression. I think staying focused on beating depression and taking small steps will aid my recovery. I wish you a good recovery too x
    • Posted

You WILL recover Just dont expect It to be overnight

Your going to be Just fine x

• Posted

Thank you . I feel very optimistic that I will make a good recovery. I am under no illusion and I realise it will take a little time. It us lovely to have the support of friends on the forum . Best wishes to you too xx
    • Posted

Ah thanks. Try not to feel guilty I know how easy it is to feel that. It's happens to anyone at any time & it's not your fault that it's happening to you. Take some self-indulgent time like Krolette66 says, pamper yourself with some beauty treatments & massage or reflexology. Are you taking any mediacation for it? Or trying without? x
    • Posted

At the moment I am trying without. When I had depression last time it lasted about 5 months and I did not take any medication but did a lot of walking with my hubby which helped. I will see how I go this time. I have no pressures at all to work and I have  a very supportive hubby. So I just want the depression to lift and the sooner the better. Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.