weaning mirtazapine safely

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi, im new to this forum, I want to ask how to wean off from 7.5mg mirtazapine safely by not suffering from wd symptoms.  I started on 15mg last april and stayed for 3 weeks before cutting to 7.5mg. I made a mistake of stopping at 7.5mg after 4 days.  I was fine for a week then suddenly felt flulike symptoms, feeling cold and having sweats on and off. also muscle aches and itchiness.  after suffering for 2 nights i reinstated to 7.5mg, then all my symptoms slowly went away after a week. now ive been on 7.5mg for 2 weeks.  I plan to stay for another week before weaning down to 6.75 or maybe 6.5mg.  Is this safe? can i just crush 15mg tab, dissolve in 15ml water and take 6.75ml? or do i need to use a suspension? any advise will be appreciated.....thank you

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi.  I recently discontinued mirtazapine from 7.5 mg.  I went down to 3.5 and then 1.875 mg and then stopped.  I felt some bad withdrawal symptoms about 4 days after my last dose.  I was only on the drug for a month so my symptoms are probably less severe than someone such as yourself that has been on the drug for a while.  I don’t see why you couldn’t dissolve in water, it may be difficult to fully dissolve though in which case you wouldn’t be receiving the full dose.  See if they make this in liquid.  Otherwise bring it to a compounding pharmacy.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. Im planning to crush the tablets and mix with water and oraplus suspension. Also planning to do 10% taper every 3-4 wks. Just really worried of the withdrawal symptoms
    • Posted

Insomnia, myoclonic jerks (twitches) on various parts of my body, bad nausea, hand tremor, akathisia type feeling (inner restlessness).  Again, I was only on the drug for a month so my withdrawal symptoms were relatively light compared to others on this forum, but it was still a week where I felt like hell, and contemplated going into an inpatient unit on a few occasions.  Some people like mirtazapine, I couldn't stand it, made me super unmotivated.

• Posted

I’m speechless, no wonder I feel so bad.

I just stopped pregabalin my second day and that was hell. I’m looking forward to mirtazapam withdrawal.

• Posted

Sound like youve weaned off too quickly though. Maybe if youve done a slower taper, it wouldnt have resulted to those symptoms. But hope youre feeling better now. Glad you are off this med now
    • Posted

Thanks  I’m not free of pregabalin yet , very tempted to take one tonight to ease withdrawal.
    • Posted

Yes, I am glad to be off mirtazapine.  It's not a drug to be taken lightly.  I tapered off from 7.5 to 3.5 to 1.875 over a period of probably 1.5 weeks.  I suspect I could have gone a little slower, but I wanted off the drug ASAP.  It made me feel horrible in the morning; real jittery and nauseous.  Every morning I would wake up and feel like death.  As the day progressed, I would feel better, but the mornings were rough.  I'm now feeling some insomnia and looking for solutions.  I tried low dose doxepin last night and I felt a little jittery upon waking and experienced some myoclonic jerks (twitches).  I was a little drowsy during the day too.  I'm going to give the doxepin another night to see how I do in the morning, otherwise I may have to take a more natural route for insomnia.

I will say that even though I have been off mirtazapine for over a week, I am still experiencing the munchies at night, literally going downstairs and raiding the cookie jar multiple times.  Thus, even though the drug may technically be "out of your system," the effects of the drug (meaning your upregulated brain receptors) are still in effect.  If it takes most antidepressants 2 weeks to have a noticeable effect, then I guess you also have to assume that it will take some time for your body to readjust back to normal.

• Posted

As for myself, i am coping well with the 7.5 at present, was only on mirtazapine for insomnia in the first place. Im now on my 2nd week after reinstating. Will probably stay on this dose for another 2 wks before going down another dose. Tempted to half the 7.5 but most likely go slow, maybe to 6.75.
  • Posted

I’m not sure I’m the best one to advise I. I think perhaps your gp maybe your best bet

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up