Weaning of 10 years of Omniprazole

Posted , 6 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

After suffering indegestion pain at work 20 years ago I tried to control it with various medicines bought over the counter. When it got to be impossible to work years ago my doctor prescribed a ppi. When I moved a few years later, the new doc put me on Omneprazol slow release and have been on it until this Christmas when it was ommited from my prescription package.. found out too late as they closed for Christmas holiday. I managed to eek out the remaining pills for a week but also did some research. Horrified to discover the dangers of this long term I decided to try without... Oh boy did I suffer. Resorted to omneprazol twice in desperate pain but have gradually managed to substitute this drug for all natural ingredients... believe me I have tried them all! The most surprising and scary was Betain with Pepsin... I was drowning in acid and taking more acid on top ?? however this really worked and things started to settle within a week. I do not need to take it now but would if I were having a large meat meal (which I don't usually) .

The best thing is a small bowl of Sauerkraut before a main meal. DGL liquorice extract, ginger tea, coconut oil capsuls, and Broccoli Seed Extract.

I eat a lot of raw green vegetables now. Brussels Sprouts and Brocolli and toasted Kale. I can almost get away with no antacid remedy all day now... but sometimes have to resort to a swig of Gaviscon or a small glass of Andrews. I still have a bit of a lump in my throat and ocassional reflux but nothing unbearable and it is improving by the day.

Main benefits are that I no longer getheart palpitations, sweats for no reason, dizzyness, shakeyness or disorientation that I have been suffering for the past 8 years. I do have a few blinding headaches still but nowhere near the constant misery I have had in the past. Best of all I have lost ten lbs without even trying and the bloatedness and water retention has eased considerably. I will never go back on this stuff.

2 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Well done Christine.  No one tells you that when they put you on PPI's it's almost impossible to get off them!  They really mess with the natural balance in your stomach and more worryingly can mask other things.  Like you I did some reading and discovered loads of stuff that I wished I had looked at before I started to take them.  I'm praying desperately that trying to maintain an alkaline diet with a gradual reintroduction of other things I will overcome this problem. Right now I'm sticking with fresh lemon juice in water morning and night and acidophyllis (I think) twice a day.  I take almond milk and almonds too as I think that they help.  
    • Posted

Yes me too I tried the almonds but the Sauerkraut has become my saviour.. I could actually live on it now. Better for me than cider vineagar which was good but made me gag. I have also swapped to lactose free milk which is great because it has no effect at all on my stomach, unlike whole milk which gives me grief after 30 minutes. Unable to eat ice cream at all but bay try some made with lacto free when I get around to making it. Good thing my garden is great for growingall the green veg as I am getting through those like crazy.
    • Posted

Almonds are nust which increases acidity, lemon is itself acidic, I don't see where you're gong right with anything here. Not sure your advice is sound.
    • Posted

Milk causes acidity in the stomach... Lemon causes alkalinity... sounds crazy but thats science for you.

Everyone has to try what suits... there is no standardised solution here. Betain is hydrochloric acid.. and it tastes of it too!! however it was the first thing that worked for me... even omniprazole didn't get to the problem that quick...and I dont have to take Betain constatnly.

• Posted

Lemon is only acidic outside the body and becomes alkaline in the stomach. I have no idea why almonds work but they do and Almond milk as we all know isn't actually milk but it a great substitute and is nice in a smoothie. I also eat a lot of brocoli and chicken.
    • Posted

I've also heard in some cases it's better to take something acidic as it's because the stomach hasn't enough that it starts to fire up. Once again I'm not sure of the science behind it but I've heard folk say taking a little vinegar on their food helped!   
    • Posted

I also eat Persimmons they have always been very soothing to me. Both types, the ones that have to be lelly like ripe and the harder ones. I have one every morning when in season. They are antiinflamatory.

• Posted

I don't know whether we get them in Scotland lol. I've been tinkering around with a lot of foods like coconut oil,  bananas, cinnamon and ginger.  I tried DGL licorice which wasn't all that great and found more benefit from a pkt of licorice alsorts!  All of these things are supposed to be good for digestion and aid the healing process. I was taking manuka honey for a while but I think that was too strong or I was reacting to the natural sugar.  As it is I'm sticking with the lemon and hot water just now to see how it goes.  I still incorporate all of these other things into my diet so it's bound to be doing me some good.
    • Posted

Yes honey is good but it has to be raw unadulterated honey. Quite hard to find and extortianately expensive. All other honey is contaminated or the heat treatments have rendered useless. A great deal of honey comes from China where it is highly contaminated with dreadful things.. It gets shipped in bulk and processed then sold as the processors countries produce. Apparently more manuka honey is sold in the world than it is possible to produce. The best raw honey has a code that enables you to trace it back to the very farm it was harvested on.
    • Posted

Yes I know. I only buy Ceritified New Zealand  Queen Bee 25+ Active and to be honest it tastes vile!  It's also expensive but if I thought it would do me any good I would eat it by the bucket load lol.  I don't want to be taking any form of medication for the rest of my life unless I really need too.   
    • Posted

yes that is now my aim...no more medication if there is a natural solution. I just wish I could find a way to help my PMR naturally... however after nearly 18 months of it I think it is beginning to subside. I am sure the omneprazole had something to do with the onset of that and all the other auto immune conditions I have had since being on it.
    • Posted

Hi Jeanniie,

your correct, challenge our natural barriers and we "could" develop consequences...balance is everything......

• Posted

Should say it comes under the name swiss glaze and the shape is like the old three pence coin.
    • Posted

You're probably right Christine but at least you're on the right track now. There doesn't seem to be enough evidence to build up a framework of reference to cope with these symptoms.  The problems being all the available advice tends to be anecdotal and we all suffer from the condition in different ways.  No two people seem to have the same experience.  Self awareness is everything and it would seem we're on our own with this one......if we don't help ourselves who will?

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up