Weaning of 10 years of Omniprazole

Posted , 6 users are following.

After suffering indegestion pain at work 20 years ago I tried to control it with various medicines bought over the counter. When it got to be impossible to work years ago my doctor prescribed a ppi. When I moved a few years later, the new doc put me on Omneprazol slow release and have been on it until this Christmas when it was ommited from my prescription package.. found out too late as they closed for Christmas holiday. I managed to eek out the remaining pills for a week but also did some research. Horrified to discover the dangers of this long term I decided to try without... Oh boy did I suffer. Resorted to omneprazol twice in desperate pain but have gradually managed to substitute this drug for all natural ingredients... believe me I have tried them all! The most surprising and scary was Betain with Pepsin... I was drowning in acid and taking more acid on top ?? however this really worked and things started to settle within a week. I do not need to take it now but would if I were having a large meat meal (which I don't usually) .

The best thing is a small bowl of Sauerkraut before a main meal. DGL liquorice extract, ginger tea, coconut oil capsuls, and Broccoli Seed Extract.

I eat a lot of raw green vegetables now. Brussels Sprouts and Brocolli and toasted Kale. I can almost get away with no antacid remedy all day now... but sometimes have to resort to a swig of Gaviscon or a small glass of Andrews. I still have a bit of a lump in my throat and ocassional reflux but nothing unbearable and it is improving by the day.

Main benefits are that I no longer getheart palpitations, sweats for no reason, dizzyness, shakeyness or disorientation that I have been suffering for the past 8 years. I do have a few blinding headaches still but nowhere near the constant misery I have had in the past. Best of all I have lost ten lbs without even trying and the bloatedness and water retention has eased considerably. I will never go back on this stuff.

2 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was prescribed Omeprazole because I was getting a lot of heartburn and  took it for a few months and it worked to begin wth but then didn't make any difference.  I shocked my doctor once when  I told her that I had drunk a teaspoonful of vinegar which immediately stopped the heartburn, her eyebrows shot up because she obviously thought that was a bad idea.  I have had an endoscopy which showed that the muscle at the top of my stomach doesn't close properly and apparently drinking something acidic causes it to close, anyway, it worked for me.  One thing I discovered about Omeprazole is that it can cause fractures because it affects the calcium in the bones and as I've already got osteoporosis I didn't want to make it any worse so I take ordinary indigestion tablets, although I have started chewing gum again as I found that helped a lot, probably to do with causing more saliva which dilutes any acid, worth a try.
    • Posted

Might try the gum too spindles. True what you say in that the absorption of minerals, necessary for bone health, is supressed by antacids.   I got prescribed Omep as part of triple therapy for helicobacter.  To be honest I never thought anything about it and assumed I could just stop taking it once the course was done.  I had never heard of anyone complaining about not being able to stop taking it.  Well my helicobacter was cured but the indigestion remained and that's when I started to take more notice.  

PPI's were once hailed as wonder drugs but when something is purported to be so good there's always a catch. What's scary is that our GP's just dole it out with no thought to the consequences.  When I mentioned it to my GP I just got a blank look and she said well you're not supposed to be on it long term.....what's laughable is I have a repeat prescription for it and can go into the chemist and pick it up every 8 weeks! We don't pay for our prescriptions so it's surprising that no one to date has ever questioned me about my usage of it!

• Posted

Interesting read, was put on this medication in August last year.

Discovered that they can lead to bad bone issues. Now reading your blog has me thinking? 'Of late been having dizzy light headed spells.

Came over odd one day and collapsed in a shop, paramedics came but all vital signs were fine. Now thinking if this is due to these meds. Take up to 11 different tabs a day, 16 in total as double up on some. Today

Ironically first day without getting fuzzy headed one way or another.

• Posted

I had the same..really bad to the point of falling a lot. If I turned quick it was as if I had left my eyes behind.. I used to get one or two a day. Now I hardly get any. I stopped Omneprazol around December 23rd 2014

I am only just managing not to have heartburn and reflux pain... just a little antacid or Gaviscon if it gets bad...getting better every day now. I also use many natural remedies. Diet mainly and lote of raw vegetables and greens.

Tonight I am having a steak for the first time since December... garnished with marrowbone smile will let you know how I get on, however as it is meat protien I am going to take a Betain with Pepsin before because that garantees I will not be up all night.

• Posted

I am a user of Betaine and Pepsin plus the saurerkraut after 7 years of being on PPI's!!

The PPI's have stripped the body of all essential acids and vitamins; Betaine helps replace the good acids that we need to digest our food.  After the PPI's our bodies are lacking the magnesium, calcium, B12, and the enzymes.

At last I've found a doctor who understands I won't take the PPI's and has directed me to a product that is kept at the back of the chemist counter. Paw Paw is another good food to put enzymes back into your body. Anything fried is out and steaming foods is easy to digest.

Chewing gum helps to clear the throat and Fisherman's Friends are also helpful for me.

You mention your sweating Christine....how bad are you sweating and in which areas of your body?

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product names as we do not allow repeated posting of product names in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service .

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

My head sweats and it drips in my eyes. The back of my neck pours sweat down my spine..especially if I try todo any work. Its getting better but not fast enough for me
  • Posted

Hi, I came off Omneprazol cold turkey after using for about 8 months with zero side effects or acid rebound. I often wonder why this happened.  It's been 3 months and I seem to be fine. I was taking melatonin at the time, and I read here that it's molecular structure is very similiar to Omneprazol, so I'm wondering if the melatonin somehow shielded me from the rebound. To be honest, I was trying so many natural remedies that it could have been a combination of things, but I'd recommend trying melatonin before going on PPI's. There's some interesting research re melatonin on the net.

I got into the habit of having some Sauerkraut before meals too.

Cheers

• Posted

Well it's after one am and I had a steak and chips meal with a half marrowbone. No meds so far... I am fine. I could not even think of a meal like that 3 months ago... Even with PPIs.

the sauerkraut certainly helps and I like it a lot. Never be without it now.

My energy levels have gone up tremendously. I am sure that is because Inam now able to absorb the vitamins and minerals needed like Magnesium and vit B 12

• Posted

Congrats on the steak. It's great that you're feeling well again. For me, it almost feels like I've been given back my life.

I get the refrigerated, raw, organic sauerkraut from the health food store. One variety I tried had something on the label like, "Eat me and your tummy will love you", and the weren't lying.

Cheers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.