Weaning off of diazepam

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I've been on diazepam (4mg., daily) for approx. 14 years, for Menieres Disease.  Tried last year to wean off and did it to fast.  Looking for suggestions as to the proper way to get off.  I take 2mg in AM., and 2mg in PM.  Thank you

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You have to have the will and strength along with a slow taper like everyone suggests here on this forum. Ashton's Manuel. Just google it. Your gut will tell you hopefully that you can do it. Faith in yourself. I was on stronger Benzo for 20years and did it. Was not easy but I put my heart and soul into believing I could do it and had a lot of support here on this forum. A lot of people around you don't understand that this IS a very difficult process, but in the end you will know it was the right decision. I am so much better to be off of the Benzos Sleep pretty well now. Look up that manual and just follow it. There will be times you feel at your wits end but it will pass. Keep us posted and good luck! Ruby S

• Posted

Thanks you on your reply and congratulations on getting this nasty drug out of your body!  Just wish I was better informed on this drug before I started taking it for my illness.
  • Posted

Hi. I was on 1mg of Ativan for two and a half years. I stopped cold turkey per my doctors advice.  😳

I found the Ashton manual on line and followed it ending with water titration.  I never increased my dose but did stay on some doses longer than others. 

If it hadn’t been for my faith in God and support of my family and friends I couldn’t have done it!

Great online groups like this and benzo buddies kept me from feeling crazy.

It was the hardest thing I’d been through. I am3 years benzo free and feeling great. 

You can do this. Don’t give up!!!

Let us know how you’re doing. 

• Posted

Hi You can do this.Just take it slow and don't worry about how long it takes.Ashton Manuel is a guide however I believe it can be very fast and a lot of people can't cut as quickly or as much.Reduce your dose by 0.5mgs and give your brain time to adapt to the change.Try to hold on to the fact that you may have withdrawal symptoms and they do pass.Take it slow and you will get there.

• Posted

Hi I did not know this  was prescribed for menieres disease as diazepam causes dizziness! Also causes a whole host of other nasty side effects such as congestion of the ear etc. The Ashtons Manual is a good source of information on weaning off benzos, sedatives, opiates etc. lowly is the way to go with diazepam but you are on a small dose so should not take too long if you are determined which it sounds as though you are.  Take care and good luck. x
    • Posted

Hi thanks for your supportive words.  Yes, my menieres outbreaks seem to come in clusters, at the time my Dr. had read an article about menieres and diazepam, after trying EVERYTHING i was willing to give it a try and it helped.  So here i am years later still on the darn drug and i want to get off of it!  New Dr now just wants to see my every 4 months and keep prescribing the med., i want off.  Doesn't really seem to want to help me wean off, which is why i'm reaching out and looking for suggestions.  My original dr. who prescribed med. has since died which is why i'm dealing with different dr.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.