Weather changes may cause imbalances in serotonin.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I just read this and have honestly always wondered this:

"For some people, weather changes may cause imbalances in brain chemicals, including serotonin,"

I have had issues for years with anxiety. And I am pretty sure high air pressure, low pressure affect my anxiety levels. Even allergies in spring and fall I think are a cause. I also think fog does. Anyone else have any experiences???

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Yes. Big time.allergens make my body go into anxiety mode. I hate this feeling before rain. Changeable weather in general is not great for me...
    Report Reply
  • Posted

I agree James I’ve been on citalopram after having a massive brain haemorrhage in 1995, I’ve been left with severe memory loss,anxiety, depression and I worry all The time.  I’ve trued numerous times to come off but I just can’t manage or cope with the withdrawal symptoms, feel like I’m going back to square one each time I try, I also find that I feel worse when the seasons change especially going into winter from autumn as get anxious and confused with the shorter days and darker nights, somedays I feel like I’m going mad and can’t control my anxieties.  I’d love to know what I can do help myself,  good luck 
    Report Reply
  • Posted

James,

Altitude gets me. A few summers ago I took a trip to Alaska and was wracked with anxiety, it was the first time I’d experienced full on vertigo and constant nausea. Maybe altitude sickness made me anxious, or my anxiety symptoms resembled altitude sickness, I don’t know. I definitely think environmental conditions can play a part. 

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi Jillian

I too experienced problems with altitude when abroad a few weeks back, nausea was awful and very light headed, I was told then its to do with the oxygen levels.  I was up a 35 floor building in London a few days back and the same thing happened, I didnt have any anxiety at the time, I strongly suspect citalopram, as never had this problem when I used to go ski-ing.  

Report Reply
  • Posted

James,

Thanks for opening my eyes! I’ve had allergies all my life and anxiety. I’m now on citalopram 10mg for 6 1/2 months and my symptoms have just really dissipated. I agree when I fly my anxiety kicks in and elevator up in high floor or the weather. I really never thought about it until now as I look back. 

Report Reply
    • Posted

Your welcome Will! That's what we are all here for, right? People helping people. You are a blessing to me just as much as I am to you! God bless.

Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up