Week 1 - Panicky and Chest Tightness

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey Guys, hoping some of you can give me some encouragement. Its day 6 for me on 20mg. Used to take it at night, but switched to first thing in the morning. Every night after work around 6:30-8:30 I have a mental breakdown and cry, I get all the emotions and just feel like complete s**t. It brews for about 30 minutes then I meltdown, then Im fine. Every night.

The past few days my chest has been super heavy. Sometmes my heart feels like its beating fast, and even if I try to calm down with breathing or meditative yoga it doesnt help. It can last hours. Im feeling that way right now and Im at work and not aware of any major feels. My chest feels tight and I feel panicky, like Im going to have a panic attack.

It feels like this drug is overall doing wonders for my depression, but my anxiety is physically more bothersome.

I called my dr office to talk to them today but dont want to change anything, I want to give it time but want reassurance this sort of stuff is normal and when will it stop? Worrying about the nighttime panic is making it worse. That is also when I socialize and Ive blown up on my friends a few times now, its embarassing. 

It feels like it wears off, but then it kicks in after an hour and my brain is like "Oh hey lets be done with that and stop it".

I can deffinetely feel... supressed? When im sad or get a thought I feel like the meds block my emotional response to it. I am more rational. Doesnt stop teh thoughts which is the real problem, but Im optimistic it will help. I feel like if I took this twice a day it would fix some of the problem. I dont even know if thats possible or safe. 

Just want this horrible panic / heart thing to stop, and the night time meltdowns sad Please give me hope. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I just hit the 6 week mark and still have horrible anxiety. They say for some it can take 6 to 8 weeks hang in there. I know it’s hard
    • Posted

Thank you for sharing! Did you have anxiety to start with or just depression and get anxiety? For me, anxiety has been a life long issue and it has ramped up BAD the past few months. The last 2 months I started getting depression for the first time. I just hope Im not treating depression and hurting my anxiety.... since that was the original problem if that makes sense.

When you say it took 6-8 weeks, what sort of things happened to you before? Panic attacks? Physical anxiety issues? Racing thoughts?

• Posted

I have had horrible anxiety and it led to depression. I also had panic attacks and racing thoughts. I am much less depressed but the anxiety has gotten worse in the last three weeks. I book I was reading by Ben Kramer, he talks about the increase of anxiety,

‘but says anecdotally he sees those whose anxiety gets worse seem to do well on this drug.

• Posted

Oh no does that mean it will get worse before it gets better, or be worse overall just being on this drug? That doesnt bode well for long term....
    • Posted

Just until it kicks in. Some people it works really quickly. Others it takes 6, 8, or 12. I’m in my 6th week and have had times in the past 10 days where I feel okay. It’s very gradual. My problem is for the past couple of weeks I have no appetite and drink ensure when I need to. My doctor said it’s common for this to happen.
    • Posted

are you having more anxiety than you did before taking the pills. It doesn’t happen to everyone. This drug will get rid of anxiety when it kicks in. Are you sleeping at night okay.
    • Posted

My anxiety has been all over. Some days non existent, some days it plays rough with depression and fills me head with bad thoughts, Some days like yesterday I feel panicky like my heart is racing or Im about to freak out at something. 

Im not sleeping well at all no. I sleep maybe 4 hours a night. Last night I laid in bed for 2 hours unable to sleep. 

• Posted

I know how hard it is to fall asleep. My doctor perscribed Trazadone 50 mgs an old antidepressant to let me sleep, it works pretty well for me. Just realize as Kate said it can take a while to kick in. You might be lucky and have it kick in more quickly. I am on day 46. Have had some periods of calm the past week, usually evey other day. It can last for 5 hours. Looking for the light at the end of the tunnel. I’m here if you need to chat.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.