week 11 more than just a bad day?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi folks

Just in wk 11, physical side effects pretty much went wk 6-8 except bad sleep, night sweats, muscle tensing and mild background anxiety. Feeling so much better physically than 3 months ago.

Since wks 6-8 ive had mild flutters from anxiety but last few weeks these have in tensified and ive been feeling pretty low most days. Last few days ive struggled and failed to keep tears at bay and just wanted to crawl under a blanket and hide and dont know why:-(

Feel like ive hit a wall and its going on so long I dont think its just a bad day as its most days. I know theres people still suffering the physical side effects who I totally sympathise with cos ive been through it and im so grateful theyve mostly gone, just thought I was coming through the other side at this stage.

Seeing dr next week so see what she says I guess?

Hope everyone else is having a good day.

Ttfn

Vix

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear that vix

I think there's something in the air seems like lot people have taken a back turn. Might be start new year worries and that.

Hopefully DRs will have some awnsers for us.

All best. Keep well. Xx

• Posted

I'm sorry for you, vix. I know how painful depression can be. Only those who have been there know the difference between being sad and being clinically depressed.

Studies show that winter tends to bring people down. There is a doctor that I follow in youtube (search for doctor of mind) that increses the antidepressant dose of his patients during the winter.

You should not be satisfied with the current states of affair. I read a reliable source saying that the pdocs today should pursuit the complete remession of depression.

I lived in England, EUA (a bit), and Brazil, and my impression is that the doctors in England (and perhaps in europe) tend to be more conservative, and the GPs are don't have much experience with combination of medication, or with "stronger" antidepressants.

SSRIs are the first line nowadays for depression (fluoxetine, paroxetine, citalopram, escitalopram, sertraline) because: (1) they are very safe (you can take fluoxetine while pregnant, for example); and (2) because they work pretty well for about 1/3 of people. They have minor differences. For example, fluoxetine tends to be more activating (which did not happen with me), paroxetine tends to be the best for high anxiety, citalopram tends to give less side effects.

However, SSRIs are not the only option, and one medication is often not enough, and the dose has to be adjusted in several cases. I read I study comparing the strategy of using fixed 20 mg of fluoxetine vs using 20, 40, or 60 mg of fluoxetine depending on the patient response. More patients under the second strategy achieved remission.

Another example. I'm taking 60 mg of fluoxetine, and could get rid of the intrustive thoughts and deep sadness. However, my motivation was still low, I had fatigue and sleepness during the day. The strategy that my pdoc used was to add Bupropion to my regiment, which is a very activating antidepressive, act on different parts of the brain than SSRIs, and is know for being good for depression associated with fatigue/sleepness. Guess what? I'm motivated again and have much more energy.

There are several other options. For example, venlafaxine is a strong antidepressant, but still in the category of reuptake inhibitor (SNRI), which means that they it is still very safe. The doctors don't start with venlafaxine because its side effects and withdraw might be more intense, and because a simple SSRI might work. So why try venlafaxine first? But IF SSRI is not enought, a pdoc can safely prescrive venlafaxine for you.

What I said above are the only options? No, there are many more. For example, an antidepressant of TCA category can work for you. However, they are less safe than SSRI. And again, this is the reason the doctors don't start with a TCA antidepressant.

My point is: don't be satisfied with your current condition. Tell this to your GP. If she/he is not willing to try other options, ask for a psychiatrist.

Best,

Danilo

• Posted

Thanks danilo. Wow youve done some research (or are you a nurse??? :-) ). Im open to suggestions from my dr and will mention the things above. Its a shame im kinda just about there just this flippin final slippery slope to climb.......

Dr is really nice and does listen and act upon what I tell her so fingers crossed (or even better the cloud will have lifted before I see her, now that would be fantastic-we live in hope!).

Ttfn

Vix

• Posted

I'm not a nurse =) Good that your Dr. listen, so does mine. Hope she/he will give some alternatives in the next appointment!
  • Posted

Oh bless you Vix, big hugs. Make notes you can take to the Dr, is it the anxiety? Is it anxiety or the depression causing the crying? If you have notes it will help Dr.

If you can hide under a blanket, and that's what you feel like doing, don't feel bad. Your poorly, and you need tlc, and looking after.

I'm sorry I can't help any other way, but I will be thinking of you, I do hope it settles, and if you lived near me, I would come and look after you. I hope you have a friend who can do that. Take care, and have a little smile if you can. Xx

• Posted

Thanks karen thats so lovely! Feels like a big warm hug just reading it :-)

Not had a blanket day, was working this morning (tho work might be an overstatememt, did rather more staring into space I think). Dragged myself for a swim after work and feel calmer for it but then I always feel better in evenings. Feel more flat than blue now. No idea if anxiety or depression still trying to work all of this out.

Daughters in bed, hubby out - blanket time with a book I think.

Hope your daughters week back at work has gone ok?

Bye for now

Vix

• Posted

How are you doing vix ? Hopefully the dr could help. Xx
    • Posted

Hi karen

Im ok but still very down. Dr gave a couple of optiona incl up dose or change med as she agreed should have better mood by now. I have had lots of medical tests recently which could be dragging my mood down so we've said wait til last test has been and see if I improve.

Got mri scan which has been brought forward to this afternoon so hoping thats last one with results next week. So ill decide then I think. Also got assessed for counselling yesterday (embarrassing cos I was crying in waiting room before I went in, couldn't stop tears! Quite funny really :-) ). But waiting time to start sessions is 10-12 wks but at least thats in progress.

Ho hum the joys. Would like to stop feeling like bursting into tears.

Hows your daughter doing at work? Hope shes still feeling so positive.

Ttfn

Vix x

• Posted

hi, its been a good few days, what did you decide? i hope your feeling a bit brighter, big hugs. xx
    • Posted

Hi karen

Had a couple of days not feeling quite so low, still not ok but slightly better so I haven't made any changes yet. Dont know why im holding back really, I guess after 8 wks on citalopram then changing to fluox and going through all the side effects again im loathe to make changes that might bring back to physical stuff, it took so long.

Also ive turned into a ditherer- can't make a decision to save my life! :-) results next wed so if ive not changed by then ill make thw decision.

Glad things are so much better for your daughter. Take care

Vix

• Posted

maybe you could take an extra tablet on alternate days, see if that helps? i notice my daughter still struggles with making her mind up, she flits from this to that, and back again, then decides, then changes her mind!

do you work? maybe you could reduce your hours? try swimming, im actually thinking of joining a gym, but i do say, only thinking....

keep smiling. xx

• Posted

Hi karen

I work part time and love my job, my boss is the best. I do swim, joined gymn last year (just for pool, none of that sweaty stuff with weights :-) ) then didnt go for 5 months cos of the nausea but have been a bit recently, love swimming. The cold weather puts me off a bit but just need to kick myself up the bum!

Hopefully ill keep feeling bit brighter but will go wirh alternate days if not.

Thnx flower

X

• Posted

well done on joining the gym, i am s till at the thinking stage!! hmmmm would it be bad to go to the gym, then pick up a nice milky coffee on the way home? i could maybe manage that.  what part of the world do you live in vix? messgae me if you prefer,

take each day as it comes, and hopefully they will keep getting a little better. maybe look into what damilo says about adding another med instead of upping the flux? xx

• Posted

Hi karen

Gymn has a gorgeous cafe in it (hmmm know I chose it for a reason!). Just going swimming now cos if I go home first ill just fester.

Im in north west, very grey n drizzly here this morning. But of sunshine would be help :-)

Soo glad your daughters doing well, must be less strain on you too.

Ttfn

Vix

• Posted

Try maybe activity smile to keep your brain active. Might put you in better mood.

Hope you feel better vix. Big hugs xxx

• Posted

Hi michelle

Trying to keep busy, bit better last few days so we'll see :-)

Any update on the dizziness?

Thnx x

• Posted

Also watch a nice film and read a good book. & look into yoga I'm gonna carry on doing that wen I get rid this dizzy rubbish. Really does help smile

I took 1 last night and fell straight to sleep haha! They said take 1 3 times a day but I think gonna stick to 1 @ night for now. DR did say will make u feel sleepy to start with. Still dizzy but more drunk dizzy haha xxx

All best big hugs xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.