Week 14 off mirtazapine

Posted , 10 users are following.

Having a really bad day today, literally can't calm down, I'm shaking with anxiety and thoughts are racing, please anyone who has got through this tell me it will end! I wasn't even anxious before this 😭

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

• Posted

It will end toria just keep reminding your self it's withdrawls and it does gets easier 

I'm 14wks free tomorrow from the crap

keep going your doing fantastic 

kaz 💖

• Posted

I'm in week 14 now and feel like I'm going backwards at the moment x

• Posted

Toria, it will be ok. Take it minute by minute, and breathe. I go thru the same thing. Try to find something to distract you, like a movie or a pet or take a hot shower. I know its hard, but you can do it! I find if i lay off the coffee the anxiety lessens. Keep posting, all day, someone is always on here to help. Positive thoughts.
    • Posted

Thank you that means so much, just can't believe the withdrawals last this long, it's so hard being freightened nearly 24/7 every thought makes you anxious x

• Posted

Hi toria,

I was on mirtaztapine for a while and I had terrible anxiety and shaking, but I came off it very, very slowly and I did not have any withdrawal symptoms. It will go away. You will feel better soon. The anxiety won't last forever, it will go. Did you come off mirtaztapine slowly ?

D

• Posted

Hi thank you for your response, no I just stopped but was only on it a short time this time, the other 2 times was on it years and had basically no withdrawals x
  • Posted

Hi - I am  probably in week 16 and like you - feel absolutely awful. nauseous, ears ringing, anxious.  I really can't believe that the withdrawal lasts this long either.  I worry that there is something else going on.  I even get really strange tight feelings in the bridge of my nose - like a pair of glasses pinching -how weird is that.  I have started to actually fall asleep when I go to bed - then wake after an hour or so - feeling dizzy. Take a 3.75 zoplicone and sleep for maybe 4 hours and then wake with anxiety and hot sweats.  I weighed myself today - I have been scared to do so - and find that since coming off mirt I have lost 14lbs - and I am slim anyway so am now scrawny and wrinkled (I am a 72 year old woman who has always looked good) (vanity!!)  Have doc appointment Friday - think I will end up on another a/d - definitely not mirtazapine.  Am thinking of printing off this web site to show the doc that other people are in the same boat as me.

• Posted

Linda what were you on mirtazapine for originally? See I never had anxiety I got steriod induced pyschosis which caused anxiety and would have past, if docs would of told me that, (wish they had) instead they ploughed me 10 different drugs 1 after the other, I seriously think our central nervous systems just need to recover, I've also lost too much weight, message me any time, it's a comfort to know you're not alone ??

• Posted

I am so fed up of this mirtaz, i am not quite off it yet but feel bad.  Holding at 3.75.  I expect psych  will want to put me on a different one but none ive had have worked for me.

i am noy much younger than you and dont take zopiclone but 5 mg diazepam to sleep in night.  Another killer to get off,

what on earth got us into this situation, and how do we get out of it.

• Posted

My docs won't put me on anymore meds as my central nervous system is a mess 

• Posted

Dear Toria you will get through this. This is tough! It will pass it won’t last for ever. I hope you have support someone who can give you a hug. As suggested try something to distract you eg TV

I think it’s like riding a rollercoaster we need to hang on tight. Best wishes x

• Posted

Thank you Barbara ?? I'm lucky my partner has been amazing but he goes back to work on Monday, have you quit mirtazapine? X

• Posted

No I’ve been taking Mirt 15mg for 7 weeks now and experienced a few of the rotten side effects, however my depression has improved and I’ve just started weekly therapy to help me explore pain of the past. I don’t think meds are the whole answer for any of us, I also think that what we eat and drink also has a part to play. Take care x
    • Posted

Bless you hope the depression keeps on improving and yes you're so right, I got rid of my depression years ago by healthy eating exercise and CBT x

• Posted

im going on week 4 on at 30mg dose and they have for the most part allowed me to sleep and have taken the edge off my anxiety,after reading the replies on this site i was very concerned about continuing this drug and consulted my doctor and pharmacist and was assured that despite the literature i was given when i initially got the prescription that said ween off them they both assured me that there would be no need and its very rare that any side effects occur and that a gradual reduction was not needed when stopping this drug [im in canada] any body else get such assurance from their health care professional?
    • Posted

Randy to be honest doctors have no clue what so ever and 1 in 5 people get withdrawals, I've quit mirtazapine 3 times all cold turkey, the first 2 times I was fine, this time I'm in hell, I think doctors need to be educated on withdrawal and discontinuation syndrome, I don't know maybe they're but don't like to admit it as then they would in part be responsible, I've learnt the hard way that they just prescribe and don't even look for drug interactions etc, don't get me wrong these drugs can save lives but doctors need to know and understand more about what they're prescribing and be there for people struggling to come off them instead of being in denial and making a mentally weak person feel like they're going mad, just my opinion, sorry for the rant as you can probably guess doctors aren't my favourite people at the moment.

• Posted

Hi randy

i honestly think docs and physc cover their own backs by telling us there is no withdrawals or a need to wean of this drug...

i was on mirtazapine for 16months and on all different doses of them ,ntook of them over night at different doses and the withdrawls have been horrific..

they never really help me as I never got rid of the side effects of them but I can tell you one thing I never suffered anixety until I was put on mirtazapine, after about 6wks of 45mg mirtazapine my anixety was through the roof

im now 14 wks today of mirtazapine with out weaning as my doc and physc said no weaning needed but I can tell ou it's been hell withdrawing from them .bive read that 1in 4 people suffer withdrawals 

it seems to me your either a person who can get of them with out any trouble or your person who is going to get hit with every withdrawl there is , think I've had most of the withdrawals 

i know they really help some people but as far as I can see it's only the chosen few they help..

if you feel theyr helping you that's great and I hope you get better soon 

kaz 

• Posted

Thanks Kaz i very much appreciate your input as well as all the others that have and may respond on this issue.You All have got me to seriously consider the possible ramifications of continuing with this type of medication!
    • Posted

Randy would just like to say the first 2 times I was on it it did me good, helped me sleep eat and helped with depression, I came off those 2 times with minimum withdrawal, the 3rd time I was unlucky, don't be put off but be careful and come off slowly.

• Posted

Hi ru

if you find theyr helping you and you have no horrible side effects hopefully ther the rights meds for you .

all I can tell you is they defo didn't suit me they did give he a full nights sleep but I didn't have a problem with sleep before I started on them, just like I never suffered anixety until I was put on them.

so the only way your going to find out if they suit you is to give them a try as I know people who take them and they work well for 

when I said to my physc about the side effects and the withdrawals she told me sh had a lot of people on them who done extra well recovering using them

as I say I think there is some people who can take them and there is people who can't and I was the unlucky one who they didn't work for

14wks today of them and still having withdrawals 

hopefully you feel feel better soon 

kaz 

• Posted

I have now been diagnosed with pre diabetes probably caused by my total insomnia since coming off mirt 4 months ago. I am now on 5th day of citaĺopran and feeling worse. All a nightmare.
    • Posted

Oh Linda, i feel for you.  This is what i think will happen to me.

Three years on mirtaz.have downed last few days to 2mg ane the anxiety is sky high, waking me at 2am and having to use more diazepam.  

I dont want psych to start me on anuother anti dep,but i dontknow how to get through this.

can anyone please tell me if i can sitmthismout will it get better

• Posted

Bless you Linda, I read of another guy who got the same diagnosis but the doc helped him with diet and he was fine, I'm on citalopram, been on it years, when do you take it? X

• Posted

I take it in the morning. Day 5 today. 10mg. Has it helped you? Been to therapist today. She recommends hypnotherapy for sleep. I desperately need to get sleep sorted as seems insomnia root cause of the pre diabetic situation. And insomnia came from mirt w/d. Feeling very anxious and out of control of my life at the moment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.