Week 2 Fluoxetine & Really need encouragement!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am new to this group and really need some encouragement. I am on day 15 of fluoxetine, 1 week 10 mg, week 2 increased to 20 mg.  I have been extremely anxious and yesterday had a panic attack. I wake up every morning with racing thoughts, nervous stomach, and fear of not ever feeling normal again.  I was on fluoxetine for 18 years for panic and mild depression. I experienced daily generalized anxiety a few months ago and my dr switched me to Zoloft. Needless to say, after 6 miserable weeks I'm back on Fluoxetine and praying for relief. Any information and encouragement would be greatly appreciated. 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hey Lauri 

So sorry to hear you are struggling. I really hope you feel better soon, i have also had a bad week. But i have (fingerscrossed) got through the worse of it now. As this morning i have woken up feeling way better than what i was at the beginning of the week when i started the medication.

You said you was on it for 18years. Did it help you for all those years?

I have been drinking camomile tea which is also really good for depression and anxiety. And for me personally has been a life saver , i have one around 730 pm and then another one right before bed. I also saw on here that someone tried taking there tablet at night time , so i thought i would try it. As when i take the tablet it makes me really drowsy and i feel abit wired. And for me taking it at night time has turned out to be really good. I seem to be sleeping through the really bad bit, not saying this will work for you. But you could always try it and see maybe.

But i know how your feeling right now its horrible isnt it. This site is amazing , i dont think i would of got through the last week without the people on here.

Crazy how complete strangers can be so more caring and compassionate than people who you have known your whole life.

Stay strong and i hope you feel better soon. Feel free to message me at any time if you want a chat

x x 

• Posted

Hi Kate,

I agree, this site is so helpful. I love talking to people that truly understand. I have not considered taking the dose at night, I may give that a try. It doesn't make me tired, so I've not worried about taking it in the morning. 

So, the 18 years that I took fluoxetine were very good. I really felt happy most of the time. The main issue that I've had is Panic, which caused be to shrink my world.  I have created a "safe zone" and as long as I stayed it it I did very well. Rarely if ever had a panic attack. 

A few months ago I went on a long road trip with my Mom and youngest daughter. About 5 days in I started to panic. The anxiety became so bad that we shortened the trip and headed back to my "safe zone". 

Unfortunately, the anxiety didn't stop once I was home. This was something that I have never experienced. It was like a faucet was turned on and wouldn't stop flowing.  To wake up anxious everyday has been awful! 

I tried counseling, reading, praying, camomile tea,  anything that I thought may help. 

I finally found a psych dr and told him my story.  He suggested switching to Zoloft which I reluctantly did. (After being on fluoxetine for 18 years I was terrified) I have a medication phobia anyway...

I tried Zoloft for 6 or so weeks and did not feel it was for me. So back to fluoxetine I went, with a plan to increase my dose to 40 mg.  

I know that my anxiety is caused by racing thoughts and fear. Fear of panic attacks and fear of never feeling calm again.  I just want to be my self again... and feel that I can handle even the worst panic attack that may come my way. I want my safe zone to be lifted and have the confidence to go and do without fear of panic attacks. 

Whew... thanks for letting me rant! Haha 

• Posted

Awwwww Lauri im so sorry your having to go through all of that i really am. And you can talk to me any time , it does really help just completely letting it all out doesnt it. 

From what i have read on the internet maybe you could ask your doctor and see if they have something to go with the flux. I have read on here quite few people that have something else they take for panic attacks and relax them. Its worth an ask maybe and just see what they say. 

How are you feeling today ? I hope you are feeling abit of relief from the anxiety and panic.

Hopefully going up will help also maybe your body has got used to it after taking it all those years.

Keep me posted on how you feel 

and message when ever ill be on here most days 

keep strong , you will get through this x x x 

• Posted

Hi Lauri,

Just hang in there. I found that it took waaaay longer for the meds to do anything positive for me than what everyone said. My Doctor said I should start feeling better between 2-4 weeks and back to my old self at 8 weeks. How wrong that was. Everyone is different. I am now just past the 6 month mark and am feeling good.

Fluoextine is said to be very activating so its not ideal for panic at the beginning because it does make it worse.

My Doc prescribed  Xanax for the first few months which I took when I needed it. I had every side effect in the book and felt way worse before I felt better.

It is all different for everyone, but for me I just needed to give it lots of time.

Good luck

• Posted

Thank you Banbithegirl. I guess I am just tired of not feeling myself. My anxiety started the first of June so the past 4 months have been exhausting.  

I think I would feel much better if I would just take the klonopin my Dr prescribed to get me through until the Fluoxetine kicks in. 

• Posted

Lauri yes, take it if the Doctor prescribed it! I was very hesitant and probably only took one Alzam every 3 days but it really took the edge off.

It takes so long, i know what youre going through and its really hard but it will pass. Try not to measure days but rather weeks and months. And with every increase you have to give yourself enough time to adjust. Just my two cents. But work with your Doctor and let them know regularly how youre coping, so they can advise. CBT has also been really helpful for me, i go once every teo weeks. And i do mindfulness everyday for 15 minutes, that has been amazing for my anxiety. Exercise is also a must, medication is just one piece of the puzzle. You can do it!

• Posted

Thank you! I am going to follow your advice 💕 

Thanks for listening 😊

• Posted

Hi Lauri and hi everyone. I'm new as well here and experience similar issues. Was unfit to work for 2 month, after that I went on vacation for 4 weeks and came back Saturday. After my panic attack I was on sertralin and experienced severe sideffects. Now I'm on Prozac 40mg for 3 weeks, before that on 20mg. After the increase I felt way better but now I kinda going backwards mental health wise. Today would've been my first day back to work but I called in sick again soe I feel so aweful. And that makes me feel even more aweful and useless and reliable. On top of that I hate seeing my husband that helpless and concerned. sad What would you recommend next to talking to my physician?

Thanks in advance,

Kat

• Posted

CanadaKat,

Just curious... How quickly did you go from a 20mg dose to 40 mg? I'm due to increase in a week and super nervous about side effects. 

Are you unable to return to work because of the fear or a panic attack, or has that subsided? 

• Posted

Hi Lauri, I was on 20 mg for 2 weeks, then up to 30 for 2 and now on 40 for almost 3 weeks I guess. First I had bad sideffects such as lumb in my throat, severe saliva after the intake, chest pain etc.. the problem was I took it on an empty stomach which is not recommended. Since I take it with food those side effects are gone. I had an extreme weight loss although most people experience weight gain.

Was at my physician this afternoon an he prescribed as an addition to the Prozac quetiapine 25mg at night. But I'm unsure if I shall take. I read through it and I'm very insecure about it...

• Posted

I am terrified of new medication so I totally understand your insecurities. 

I'd love to hear how you progress. 💕We can do this! 

• Posted

I decided not to take the new med last night, instead I put my diffuser with pure lavender and Cedarwood oil on. Slept like a baby but woke up quite nervous. Guess I'll try it with meditation and a camomile tea for now smile you're right, we got this and we're not alone. And that's important to know.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.