Week 4 20 mg. cant stop worrying

Posted , 14 users are following.

I have been on 20 mg Prozac for about 4 weeks now. I definitely feel the anxiety has improved and the lows have also improved. There have been ups and downs but after reading the posts here I am reassured that's also normal. My issue is that even when I am feeling good, I am always SO AFRAID that I'll feel bad. It's just crazy it's like I cannot relax and enjoy anything due to the fear of anxiety and depression returning. I can't stop thinking about it. I just moved into a new house. I have practically done everything setting up etc, I am not lazy about things however in the back of my mind is that constant voice of "are you ever going to stop worrying about this".

Does anyone deal with this? Is this also anxiety and part of the package? Any advice or shared experiences would help.

3 likes, 70 replies

70 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes, the anxiety and worry is definitely an effect of our disorder as well as the disease.  Actually felt better mentally BEFORE I started the meds.  They were given to me to deal with a PHYSICAL ailment that is a nervous disorder.  Have a new doctor who is treating this condition and it has improved.    Am seeing a psychiatrist on the 26th of this month and will stay on the Prozac (Fluoxetine 20 MG) until she gives me her opinion of what I should do.  I also have .25 Xanax prescribed for those overwhelming times.  Only take l/2 of a pill, not more than two a day.  Am very sensitive to any kinds of meds.

?Please keep trying until you find the right combination that works for you and the main challenge is NOT to give up, thinking nothing good will ever happen.  Try to concentrate on good things in your life, i.e., your new house and how blessed you are to have it.   Seems every little thing can put me in a "tail spin" but with deep breathing and prayer, my life has continued, although many times challenged! 

?Someday you will see a light at the end of the tunnel!  Wishing something good for you today and continued days!

• Posted

Thank you so so much your post was very encouraging.

I am doing exactly that focusing on all the positives ..

• Posted

Hi, I have just started week 5 today. I am in exactly the same place and as my SE have reduced I seem to be very restless and this provides a lot of time for thinking and reflection - i'm no where near as negative as I was, but very apprehensive of the road ahead and what's around the corner - every day seem to be different. 

I week ago I had to take 1mg lorazepam twice a day just to get through the days - now I seem to be able to take 1/4mg at a time if I find myself wandering. 

I believe over time this will diminish as you need to give it 8-12 weeks plus from what I read for the med to fully settle. 

It's a long road to recovery - wishing you all the best!

Cheers Craig 

• Posted

Exactly Craig. I understand your situation! I hope it improves for you as well. The forum has been a huge help to see that after a few months, people do recover. It's very hard with small kids. You want to be 100% present. I have improved a lot I suppose I just set high standards for myself and need to accept that it's ok to just wait this phase out. Hopefully things improve for you very soon!

• Posted

Thanks. I also have a beautiful 10 month old daughter and I know the feeling of wanting to be 100% present. She is my motivation to get through this to be the happy and healthy father I was a few months ago. All the best!
    • Posted

I can imagine. I hope it helps you and soon you'll

Enjoy her a lot more. Thank you and best of luck.

• Posted

HI Craig,

I need some information, guidance and truth. 

I had a couple of decent days last week, and some of my evenings are better. But today is he worst by far. The depression and anxiety is crippling. I actually had a panic attack. I haven't been able to stop crying all day. I'm almost 4 weeks now. Just upped the Prozac this morning to 30mg as per doctors orders. But I was feeling rough already this morning before I took my med's. I took 1mg clonazepam this afternoon and it has just taken some of the edge off. I read that you were taking 1mg, twice a day. How long did you take it for and for how long. Did you build up a resistance to it and was it hard to get off of it?

Any information or help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Laurie

• Posted

Hi, yes, worrying and fears are symptoms of anxiety. In my first 6 weeks on the meds, if I got any calmer moments, I worried so much like you about the anxiety coming back soon, and I was afraid of going to sleep in case I cannot and would be up with anxiety, and I was worried also ahead about waking up and feeling anxious the next morning, etc. So I can relate to what you are describing. It became a little better in weeks 7-8 for me, and now at almost 10 weeks I do not worry that much about any blips. They are still very difficult when they come but I am now able to enjoy the good times without worries. Also I found it difficul in the first 8 weeks to enjoy anything that I normally enjoy - that was another side effect for me as well. But also that is subsiding and I am expereriencing joy again from favourite activities. I would say that the fact you are getting some feel-good times now can mean the medication is starting to work...but it is really too early to feel well all the time...I would say give it at least another month before expecting to start feeling better...fingers crossed and hugs.
    • Posted

You are so sweet. I loved your post. Thank you so much and I am so glad you're better!! I am starting to see an improvement definitely and focusing on those good moments when I do feel low or anxious. Thanks again💕

• Posted

Hi,

I'm looking for some reassurance really. I've been on fluoxetine for 5 months, increased to 40mg 4 week and ago. Went through the side effects and this started easing off slowly. The last 4 days I've had extreme anxiety, intrusive thoughts and generally horrible symptoms. Never felt so hopeless before. I've been waking up having fun panic attacks and shaking with really bad stomach and difficult to it get back to sleep. Has anyone else had such bad reactions after feeling better? I'm terrified to go work tomorrow as I am so out of control of my own thoughts but I have to keep doing normal things. Will this pass or do I need to call a doctor?

Thanks I need advance!!! Really need some support as I'm struggling so much.

• Posted

Hello Sabrina,

I wanted to send you some support as you sound like you need some!

its a very slow progress fro me too, ive read its quite normal for flou to take months to work. Every little step is a step forward you may not think so just now but believe you will be well again. Small improvements may not come all at once you may notice you laugh a bit, then you look forward to doing some chore that you enjoyed before.

it will be easier to face the crowds at shops, you may feel like a coffee and enjoy the taste, you may feel like baking at home.

i did recently for the first time in over a year, made some muffins. Ive tried to keep busy with craft projects, reading novels. Nothing too violent

Or sad. Watch some comedy dvds, go to you tube watch old music clips.

im not saying these things alone will make you well again, but it takes your mind off how you feel for a little while.

i too wake up shaking, certain nerves are over firing, we are sensitised to every little odd sensation. As time passes im sure they will lessen.

my anxiety is greatly reduced so i know the meds are working on me, im still down especially in the mornings, better at night.

im going through menopause im sure our hormones can cause all the anxiety, depression.

we have to take each day as it comes knowing that in time we will overcome this, the meds help but you have to help yourself by having goals each day. Keep your mind occupied on little chores, eat well, rest, dont stay in bed all day.

put your makeup on, do your nails, you are a worthy lovely lady who deserves to feel good. Make these little efforts, everyday brings you closer to being the old you.

im trying also and i continue to think positive thoughts, im  sending you healing hugs.

talk on here whenever you need to! We are here to listen.

🌈💫

caroline

• Posted

Hi everyone I'm 21 and been on some journey so far with my anxiety .. sad I have been on a few antipsychotics and have recently been on one for 3 months however it was giving me low mood and no energy and did a bit for my anxiety but I decided to switch . SO FAR I've been on fluoxetine for 10 days and I CAN SAY these past 10 days have been torture . I am having obsessive thoughts all the time !!! My mind is having so many fixated worrisome thoughts that are v intrusive for example the thought of looking at another women inappropriately in pool changing room and her approaching me about it ... there crazy thoughts .... and I'm straight btw . But anyway these thoughts are really. Bothering me ... I'm also stressing about bumping into certain people whilst out and that I will have a panic attack and they will see it .... and I am fixated on bumping into a particular individual because I might have a panic attack again.. all these things have started severely since I started the antidepressant as If my anxiety and thoughts are worse ... and I didn't have these on the antipsychotic but it gave me low mood .. so far I have noticed more energy and my mood is fine but my thoughts and anxiety is hay wire .. what will I do ? Continue with the meds. ? It's day 10 sad fml sad

• Posted

I'm the exact same on day 10 n my intrusive thought n anxiety are of the scales

• Posted

Hi Pinkrozez, how are you going? I'm all over the show, but I think that's my new 'normal' for now =). I'm just trying to go with it and get on with life. 

• Posted

Craig,

Thanks for checking in. I am up and down but better. I had a strangely low evening two nights ago which was odd as evenings are usually better but who the heck knows.. We are so all over the place! Dealing with a stubborn cold on top of everything right now but honestly will take a cold over what all I went through weeks ago.

How are you? Yes it's all about acceptance and dealing with ourselves a day at a time. My doctor tells me "you're still here aren't you".. I just moved and now need to find a new doctor and discuss the medicine with her .. Ultimately wanna wean off. But can't worry about that for now. I have some family obligations coming up and I think I made the best decision I started the meds.. As it will hopefully help me get through some stressful times ahead. After that il think of weaning off .. Keep at it and best of luck to you!

• Posted

Hi Pinkrozez, yep I am in the same place exactly. I too am going to wean off as soon as I fee comfortable - hopefully this is after month 4 or 5. I'm back to work next week, so that should be fun... 

Best of luck to you too. 

• Posted

Hi Pinkrozez 

Also, would been keen to see how your doctor plans to wean you off when you make the decision. My doctor said 'cold turky' is no problem, which I'm really not keen for at all. 

• Posted

The doctor that prescribed me the 20 mg said to take for 3 months and just stop. But after reading all of the people's experiences on this forum I don't think I will do that. I plan to take it for maybe 5 more months for a total of 6 and then slowly wean. I will find a new doctor here and see what they suggest on weaning. Will def keep you posted. Isn't it crazy how yours also said to just cold turkey stop?? Unbelievable.

• Posted

They have no idea at all what they are doing to people.

I'm going to do the same - 6 months max hopfully, then slowely wean off over a number of months.  Maybe I need to find a new doctor also, as he seems a bit so so around the side effects, and didn't even explain these properly to be before prescribing. Anyway, that's all in the past, but I will be much wiser in the future =). 

• Posted

Hey guys,

So I came off fluoxetine in the past with absolutely no side effects after 9 mts, 6mts and 3mts. I didn't even notice. BUT back then I also had no side effects when I started taking the meds!

But this time when I went back on the meds again, I have suffered so many, asI have already described in other posts...so I will also be weary of just quitting the medicine suddenly. I think every body is different and also each time it can be different, so we do not know.

I am on the meds now for 3 months and this time I think I will stick to them for 1-2 years. I think taking them 3x in the last 13 years for such short periods of time each time probably caused me to have a relapse of anxiety and depression every 2-4 years, so I think I will stick with this low dose of 20mg for longer this time whilst I do therapy and make healthy changes in my life...but untimately also I would want to wean off, but this time I will probably not be in a rush if the meds give me some benefits. smile

Luci

• Posted

Luci, glad you're back and so happy to read that you had a fun trip! Thanks for your genuine support as always. I was thinking of you and hoped that you were enjoying yourself in Paris and so glad you did!

I have had some good days. Last two days I was like a zombie felt totally flat: today feeling better it's still soo up and down and I get these severe headaches but still there is improvement.

Craig hope you're moving forward glad you're back at work. I think keeping busy definitely helps.

• Posted

Hi Pinkrozez,

oh yes the headaches and head fogs are awful, it felt like they would never go, took like 10 weeks for them to go sad

The flat feeling is unpleasant too, but it is just the first way of how the body calms the anxiety. I think that will level off too... I feel flat sometimes too still, really the only thing that snaps me out of it is exercise, the endorphins do the trick.

Thanks for your kinds words! It has been a great week and I am so grateful for it. Probably best week of 2017! smile

I think of both you and Craig and hope your recovery will come soon!

L.

• Posted

Thanks Luci. 

Pinkrozez and I sound very similar, any change is so so gradul that you don't notice it much. I'm going to keep the motivation to keep going for now, and see how the next 3 weeks go. Hopefully by week 10 I'm really seeing some good progress =). 

Will be in touch soon. 

Cheers 

Craig

• Posted

Hi Pinkrozez

I'm pretty sure I'm making progress. I'm really similar to you - up and down with headfog/aches. The intrusive thoughts have really subsided, just sometimes I worry if the meds are going to pull me though. I keep telling myself that it's early days at 7.2 weeks and I really need to get over 10 weeks. My sleep is still really patchy, but I can get back to sleep without sleeping medication and I can get to sleep on under half what I was taking, so I guess that is all progress. 

Work is going pretty well (better than expected) and it's great to keep busy. 

I wish you all the best and keep me updated good or bad (I know what the hard days are like!). 

Take care. 

Cheers, Craig 

• Posted

Hi Craig,

I'll be 8 weeks tomorrow. I am doing much much better from when I started but like you I too worry if the medicine will ever bring me to 100%. I think that the feeling of worry has lessened though. I am glad you're having a good time at work that is great .. The last thing you needed was stress there! I have a good feeling it'll get better for us both. Take good care and one day at a time is what I remind myself! Thank you and have a nice day!

Luci, so glad you've had a good week makes me so happy to hear that. The headaches have been bad so I take Tylenol on occasion also I have been fighting an awful cold which refuses to leave me: I am hopeful once that goes away I might even feel 100% one of these days. Still, the improvement is visible now and I am hopeful for more. Thanks for your support as always.

• Posted

That's fantastic news too that worries are fewer! Sorry to hear about the cold; the last thing you need now with the headaches.

You and Craig do sounds like you are having very similar course of symptoms and progress and it is also so similar to how it was for me. There is light at the end of tunnel, believe me. Best to focus on the progress and the improvements rather than what is not there yet.

I hope you will start having more and more good days Pinkrozez. For me week 9 was the breakthrough week - it started with a bad anxiety for two days during which I decided I MUST do something to get myself out of it, so started the running back then daily and after that I had 12 days with no anxiety at all, before another small dip for two days. I also hope you will start having very good days soon!!!

All the best! x

• Posted

How are you doing Pinkrozez? At 8 weeks now? smile

I have a GP review today. I am 13 weeks now. I think! I am slowly stopping to count. Things are quite good. Tiredness still there, and sometimes lack of motivation but definitely ongoing improvements.

• Posted

Hey Pinkrozez, I would also be keen to hear how you are doing. I really hope all is well and you are still seeing improvement =).
    • Posted

Hi guys! Luci/Craig,

Thank you so much for checking in you guys are so sweet. I am feeling better! I just have some portions of the day where I feel little anxious and lost but it's very short and it's not at ALL like before. I find that I get headaches and feel groggy at times and yawn a lot in the day . Apart from that, things have improved . I have been taking my kids around and doing so much more with them than before and don't feel anxious while driving etc..

Luci, 13 weeks wow .. Let's see what doctor says .. What will be the plan of tapering off, if you do plan to?

Craig, I am so so so happy to hear your improvement and also that baby slept! Once she's on a more regular schedule i am sure you and your wife both will just feel more rested. Glad your side effects have lessened too.. Praying and hoping we don't get those horrible blips but at least now we know how to tackle them.

I haven't seen Kate cogs on here lately. Kate if you're reading this hope you're well! I think of you often and feel so happy to have had and have your support.

Thanks guys for checking in .. Hope we all continue to have better days .. 💕

• Posted

Wow Pinkrozez, this is great to hear =). 

I still get blips during each week, but they seem to be limited to a few hours - i.e had a rough Wed afternoon at work, but was able to push through. I cant wait to get to week 12+ so hopfully all the hard hard work we all have to put in is worth while =). 

When I hear how well you are doing Luci, it really motivates me =). Your support has been so great!

Keep up the great work and no dobut we will all be in touch soon. 

• Posted

Hi Craig how are you doing???

I am going through some lows I suppose it's a blip. I had some very good days so feel kind of sad now that I am down again. How have you been? I wonder when these blips actually stop happening?

• Posted

Hi luci how are you doing? I have had good days but last two have been low. Trying to keep busy but so hard just waiting for it to pass sad
    • Posted

I actually realize I am at 9 weeks

Today and I am feeling similar to what you wrote with some anxiety and lows ... So it's interesting hopefully jll have the good weeks ahead as you did too..

• Posted

Hi Pinkrozez 

I'm doing good, a bit all over the show - not down but not up if that makes sense. I have really good moments, maybe days then some days that are just harder to get through. I'm ready for the blips to stop happening, but I guess they will when they are ready - I'm only at about 7.5 weeks. 

I'm getting a really dull head and slight headache. Have you experenced this and does it pass? I still question the process and the meds, but I need to stick with it and push through. I have come a long way, as I couldn't even function or sleep 4 weeks ago - I was a complete mess. 

Stay in touch, as I'm keen to hear how you progress - we sound pretty similar. Stay strong, be kind to yourself and push through!

Cheers 

Craig

• Posted

Hey Luci 

How are you going? I really hope all is well. Cheers 

• Posted

Hi Craig, Pinkrozez,

I am doing well, thank you! 14 weeks today. Last 3 days i felt somewhat flat and lethargic. I really no longer suffer from any anxiety since about week 12, but at times now I have this flat feeling and I withdraw and do not do what I should be doing...avoiding some responsibilities etc. But overall not bad. I think I have a new addiction now - sports. I continue to run daily, and I added other exercises in the park after run. It's like the daily fluo pill I know I have to take; I know I have to go and exercise every day. It is what lifted the head fog for me and gave me energy back. I beat any blues I feel coming on with it. Also my body is transforming rapidly which gives me confidence boost too.

My therapy is really going well too and helping me to get to know myself better and the triggers for my anxieties/ depressions. I am enjoying all the new insights I am getting.

Pinkrozez - the blips are still normal at that stage...it takes different time for everyone. They will eventually pass...but just like anyone in the world, it is natural at times to feel stress and anxious...I think we just have to develop better coping techniques too, not to expect just medicine to solve all. Hang in there. I hope the current blip will lift soon!

Craig, I suffered with the headpressure till perhaps week 10 or so. I hated it. I still get sometimes a bit of dull head and confused foggy brain. Not often now though. Again I think the headfogs started to lift about the time I started exercising outdoors.

It sounds like you are making a solid progress now. How is your sleeping now? And do you still get those anxious shivers in arms etc? I hope all symptoms are improving slowly smile

Have a lovely day both!!! xx

Lucie

• Posted

Hi Craig,

I haven't gotten the headfog but just mild headaches but also I think it's from the heat as where I live it's very hot these days. I totally can relate to the not up not down feeling. I too had some great days and last two were hard. Today's been relatively better but that lingering fear inside remains.. I am going to see a doctor here on Monday a new one since I recently moved. I'm glad you've had progress .. It will get better I am sure for us both.

• Posted

Proud of you for the work outs luci that's amazing. I will resume working out as well in a few weeks. I work out daily for 60 min as well and it definitely helps .. Glad you're better and you're right we all have flat dull moments .. I dealt with it better before now need to learn how to deal with them while recovering .. Thank you, today is slightly better and hopefully tomorrow will be even more.

Take good care 💕

• Posted

Hi Luci 

I feel like i'm now making solid progress and I only 7.6 weeks in. 

- Sleep has improved greatly and is still improving. 

- Anxious shivers are gone for now. 

- SE in general seem to be very light - just really light headaches.

- Anxiety has been light when i do get it. 

Still have some flat days. But even not on the meds people have flat days, so that's part of life =). 

I'm also making solid personal progress:

- Changed my diet, so I'm eating properly. Still have a bit of work to do here, but I used to not eat and dink a heap of coffee. 

- Therapy is going well; I undersand exactly what has driven this. The key for me is how I actually implement the change. 

- Work is going well and I have really changed my approach here. I used to work 60+ hours a week and get way too involved. I'm still really motivated, but I have put clear boundaries in place. Again, this is a clear trigger and I need to monitor myself very closely.

- I'm changing my personal life to be present focused. I was obsessed with living in the future and this is by far my biggest challenge. 

Still heaps to achieve, but I'm now starting to enjoy the challenge I think. I'm going to be fitter, healthier and more balanced than I have ever been in the next 2-3 months. So that is pretty exciting. 

Next weeks goal is to go to the gym!

I'm glad to hear yoy doing well =). Please keep me updated. 

Cheers 

Craig

• Posted

Hi luci. I'm at week 3. Is it normal for extreme mood swings that throws me into anxiety. My mood swing up and downs are frequently! Pretty much every day.

Angel

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.