week 4 in prozac and i feel more depressed then before.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I started prozac 20 mg 3 week ago and i feel really bad. Crying all day, have anxiety, fast breathing and chest pain. I am not sure if this is normal......should i discontinue the medication or give it a bit more time.

Prozac is the 4th antidepressant i have tried so far. I started with zoloft, celexa, lexapro, which gave me horrible side effects.

I am so desperate for help. Lost my job because of this awful disease.

Can you help sharing your experience please

Thank you

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

you might be extra sensitive to this type of med. I believe I have read there is a genetic test for these kinds of meds to show if one would probably work for a person. I've been doing a lot of reading as I am considering taking one. I'm kind of scared to as my son and grandson have had problems with them. My doctor did say if I try ed one she could start me on a very low dose first,5 to 10 mg. Maybe if you try another you should consider a very low dose first and try and wait til you withdraw off your current med.

• Edited

Hi Anna,my experience was to give it a bit more time. it took about 6 weeks for me to start feeling human again. I was panicking thinking I'm never going to feel like me again but then suddenly I woke up without the dark cloud over me and began to hope it was the start of getting better and it was. maybe it isn't the right one for you but my advice is give it a little longer. good luck and I hope the wait is worth it xx

• Edited

Anna, give it time, I went through the same thing. Remember it takes about 8 weeks for the medication to start working and some times 12 weeks. Just hang in there, I did and now am doing much much better. god bless

• Posted

cut any antidepressants! look for an alternative to them, you obviously don't agree with them! i hope you get some support some other way, try mindfulness, other meditation methods, counselling anything but any more medicine! i do wish you luck speak to a non prescribing doctor's and don't let them just Chuck medication at you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.